• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What we want from commentary

Was doing a dropgoal shootout in the WC a few days ago, every time he speaks, Robertson uses the very phrase "Drop goal shootout" line after line.
Unrealistic considering it sounds like "And he is up to kick in the drop goal shootout... he won't want to miss in the drop goal shootout"

Yes, but this is not FIFA. Paying pro commentators to come into the studio costs money, I don't know exactly how much, but I'd assume it ain't cheap.

So you're saying you'd be happy with them to take the cheap option and buy a crappy version of what could be a good game? I can't buy into that - put some money into the game, find some good financial backers, but make sure it's done right. If not then I'd imagine people will likely rent the game once and bypass it completely on the shelves.

I want to hear Nisbo giving proper commentary, getting excited, asking for comment from Johnston and Smithy. Might sound pie in the sky, but dare to dream.

And to those who have given NHL games as an example, you're absolutely spot on - they are the high water mark for commentary in sports games without question. I'm constantly amazed by the detail they go into.

the commentary in rugby 08 was awful and by then the game was backed by EA. How much do you think they will improve the commentary for 2012?!

i think they should pay someone to watch your game online and commentate as you play :p

So you're saying you'd be happy with them to take the cheap option and buy a crappy version of what could be a good game? I can't buy into that - put some money into the game, find some good financial backers, but make sure it's done right. If not then I'd imagine people will likely rent the game once and bypass it completely on the shelves.

I want to hear Nisbo giving proper commentary, getting excited, asking for comment from Johnston and Smithy. Might sound pie in the sky, but dare to dream.

And to those who have given NHL games as an example, you're absolutely spot on - they are the high water mark for commentary in sports games without question. I'm constantly amazed by the detail they go into.

**** man, generous of you to volenteer. I forgot how easy it was to get money.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. What amazing powers of perception you have. I'm a realist. Things cost money. It isn't as easy as you might think to go out and get some financial backers at the drop of a hat, especially for a game that's going to appeal to a fairly small market.

Now, go away.
d bho

I have compliled a list of things I think the commentary must have

* Detailed and realistic introductions
* First names and last names of players
* Fluent commentary, not "Oh, pause, ThauThau, pause , and what a try..."
* Say what happens immediately
* Natural (real) sounding commentary. Like FIFA11 (Rugby 05,06,08 sounded like lame acting)
* History, background info, statistical, and overall commentary on game in conversation format between commentator and colour commentator. eg Discuss weather, pitch, game strategy, history of stadium, current rugby issues)
* Sideline reports
* Focus on what is happening and what could happen, maybe throw in a few predictions eg: "He has a man on the outside, Will he use him?" "There is no one back deep for NZ, will they kick". A commentator can direct possibilities to the audience as well as report what is happening now"
* Get EXCITED, this usually contributes to the playing experience eg (Skysports Australia)
* Make sure that what is said is clear, in Rugby 05,06,08 it sounds as if Ian Robertson's voice dissappears in the noise of the crowd and it distorts
* Involve the colour-commentator by referring to him more and asking his opinion, this minimizes repetetiveness.
* Throw in some comparisons, metaphors and puns
* Remain objective

I always find it interesting to hear about the background of specific players. As in what previous teams they have been in, what province they grew up in, any famous relatives, what school they went to and what other famous players went to that school or were in the same school first XV.

I always find it interesting to hear about the background of specific players. As in what previous teams they have been in, what province they grew up in, any famous relatives, what school they went to and what other famous players went to that school or were in the same school first XV.
I totally agree, and they're not things that become less relevant in time.

I totally agree, and they're not things that become less relevant in time.

it is indeed a good idea. I'm so tired of hearing that lame conversation about how much impact will carter or wilkinson have on the game.

it would take a lot of time and money, but it would be awesome
(referring to all of the big ideas before)

Though, maybe some of the commentators would be willing to do it? haha..
Hugh Bladen, Keith Quinn, maybe even Nigel Starmers Smith?
commentators from around the world, - Grant Fox isnt going to go to S15, Top14, RWC, Currie Cup AND Heineken Cup
(is it still Heineken Cup sorry Im shabby when it comes to NH rugby)

This would be an awesome feature for the game, and it shouldn't be limited to the "Superstars" of the game... DJ Forbes for example is i high profile player - NZ 7's Captain, but only plays 15's at ITM Cup level there are other players that are highly regarded like Carl Hayman, George Gregan, Tana Umaga, Gavin Henson and many more who are high profile but don't currently play at International level who deserve a mention especially if there will be information about there career, eg. "Tana Umaga is such a great leader on the Rugby field after captaining the All Blacks for ??? Test matches he has a wealth of experience" or something slightly less cheesey, but you get the idea

NHL is unreal, but it does help that it is developed by the EA in Vancouver, Canada. Even if the developers are not from Canada it is almost impossible not to get to know hockey or find all the information you need about it. Plus it is always the top rated sports game (IMO it because it is really easy to play even if you don't know much about hockey), so they get lots of money.

As opposed to John Inverdale's "Cooooooooooh-wwwwwwwwwwiiiin" every 15 seconds? :lol:

This would be an awesome feature for the game, and it shouldn't be limited to the "Superstars" of the game... DJ Forbes for example is i high profile player - NZ 7's Captain, but only plays 15's at ITM Cup level there are other players that are highly regarded like Carl Hayman, George Gregan, Tana Umaga, Gavin Henson and many more who are high profile but don't currently play at International level who deserve a mention especially if there will be information about there career, eg. "Tana Umaga is such a great leader on the Rugby field after captaining the All Blacks for ??? Test matches he has a wealth of experience" or something slightly less cheesey, but you get the idea

I didn't limit it to superstars haha. you put quote marks around the word like i said it

Oh true... haha, i didn't mean to make it seem like a quote. But i would love to see other players get a mention during the commentary :D

I don't see why they can't just use commentary from actual recorded rugby games.

An actor would be fine, but a commentator would naturally feel a little awkward getting realistically excited in a sound booth with a mic. It can't be that hard to get "straight through the gap", "It's Shane Williams for the corner!!!", "Johnny Wilkinson off-loads it fantastically"

You get the idea... just a few lines here and there to stop it sounding so fake like the old games.

Latest posts