• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What would you change in the GP?

H

Hobb5y

Hey there this is my first post and its something me and my rugby mates discuss a fair amount, if you could change the GP in anyway what would you do?

For the last few seasons its been almost a given the team that goes down from the GP will come up, and next season looks like it should be the same. And it kinda seems like the GP is running a 13 club system but with only 12 clubs in the premiership. So for me, I'd make a change to the league have no relegation of the top 13 teams unless a team consistently was bottom of the league for say 3 seasons and at the same time one of the clubs in League 1 were head and shoulders above the rest.

What do you think?

Not have Relegated Northampton this year. :(

Seriously, some have talked about scrapping the EDF and playoffs then extending the season to 14 teams, thus keeping relegation and promotion and some interest in more then just the top 4 of the league.

Running the League the same way as the FA run the Premier league would be nice aswell.

I'd run it like it was run right up until they introduced the playoffs.

You say the same teams just swap between the Premiership and National One every season, but that isn't quite true. It may seem that way if you only take a sample of a few seasons, but I (just about)remember the days when the top flight contained teams such as West Hartlepool, Richmond and Orrell.

It was only a few seasons back that Rotherham were in the Premiership, Worcester have not been a truly top level team for that long, and there are numerous teams now pushing towards Premiership status - Earth (lol) ***ans, Bedford, Doncaster, Plymouth, Exeter, Cornish Pirates - all have come close to reaching (or the case of ***ans and Bedford, returing to) the top league.

It really isn't as predictable as you say. You can't judge the situation purely by looking at Leeds and Harlequins in the last two seasons.

i'd maybe like to see some of the smaller teams get into the league, it kind of sucks that the big guys come down and teams like ***ans dont have a shot at getting up but finish 2nd consistently in the league.

would be nice to somehow see some of the smaller guys get up there.

i'd maybe like to see some of the smaller teams get into the league, it kind of sucks that the big guys come down and teams like ***ans dont have a shot at getting up but finish 2nd consistently in the league.

[/b]

Read my post above. They have managed it. Just because they haven't been there for a couple of seasons, doesn't mean it won't happen again if they maintain their level of play.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Read my post above. They have managed it. Just because they haven't been there for a couple of seasons, doesn't mean it won't happen again if they maintain their level of play.
[/b][/quote]
But how long can a team maintain a high level of play in the second division (division 1) without those players getting poached by a GP team? The relegation/elevation scheme doesn't work...and I think we will continue to see what has happend, in the small sampling that you continue to make a reference, continue to happen with the consistently good teams like the Cornish Pirates (and Stew's Waterloo...haha) continue to slug it out below. If every year from now on the relegated team goes on a "demolition tour" to re-elevate themselves (which is most assurably the case now that we are in the proffesional era) division 1 teams haven't a chance to make it to the GP...this scheme is what I would change...and scrap the EDF F___ing Twat Challenge.

Ah, well, it seems fitting for next year too, as I'm sure they will beat the buddah out of every team in D1. Pardon my lack of trivial rugby knowledge...I'll be sure to read up on that...

...and scrap the EDF F___ing Twat Challenge.
[/b]

Ok, this seems to be becoming a general consensus (apart from amongst the welsh).
Could someone please explain what is so awful about this tournament?
From a Welsh perspective it's a great prospect, something to really look forward to, finiancial benefits, and a breath of fresh air.

Imagne the consensus if the Football Premiership clubs were stopped from playing in the FA cup, instead to play in a pathetic money spinner for the Football Association that has absoloutely no prestige.

Well, that's what's happened to the English club sides.

<div class='quotemain'>
...and scrap the EDF F___ing Twat Challenge.
[/b]

Ok, this seems to be becoming a general consensus (apart from amongst the welsh).
Could someone please explain what is so awful about this tournament?
From a Welsh perspective it's a great prospect, something to really look forward to, finiancial benefits, and a breath of fresh air.
[/b][/quote]

I always use it as my comparison:

Imagine taking away the FA Cup in football. Imagine denying the one opportunity the biggest and smallest sides in the land get the face off against one another.

That's the basic objection. And once you add to that the fact it isn't straight knockout, has a crap format and adds to an already conjested fixture list, English supporters just don't see the point of it.

Ok, but i would have thought the fact that it brings a nice bit of revenue would have some influence.
It just feels - and i know this isn't the case, but - it feels as if there's no respect from the English towards the Welsh. It's as if we're a burden on your season and you'd much rather see the back of us.
Whereas i know wholeheartedly that i'd chose to play the english clubs over all others anyday.
And isn't your season just as full as ours?

It's not contempt for the Welsh clubs we have (well, maybe the Ospreys), it's contempt for the RFU using out privately owned clubs like their own franchises for money spinners and blocking us from joining the one tournament we had which has some history to it.

The Welsh sides can afford to rest players in the Magners League if they want, there being no relegation and all.

And your sides never make it as far in Europe anyway. :p

Ok, i'm beginning to understand that there is a deeper, more meaningful (almost cynical) side to this argument for you guys.
It sounds like you're pretty justitified in feeling the way you do about this competition. It was quite naive of me actually to think it was only about hectic seasons.

If it's any consolation, you are providing a HUGE entertainment and joy for the welsh folk and i know for a fact that i look forward to the competition just as much as the Heineken cup.

to be honest with you, and this is just me personally, i find the gp very very tedious to watch. maybe introducing a policy where no more than 5 englsihmen on the pitch at the same time would help the league and it would defo make the matches much more enjoyable and they would be played at a vastly faster and higher skill level.

Ok, i'm beginning to understand that there is a deeper, more meaningful (almost cynical) side to this argument for you guys.
It sounds like you're pretty justitified in feeling the way you do about this competition. It was quite naive of me actually to think it was only about hectic seasons.

If it's any consolation, you are providing a HUGE entertainment and joy for the welsh folk and i know for a fact that i look forward to the competition just as much as the Heineken cup.
[/b]

You lot know how I feel about the EDF (paper) cup. Its a waste of time, the English clubs usually can't be arsed to take part and when they do, its usually in the finals when they'll get the most press coverage and sponsorship value.

The whole thing is about money and thats why we don't like it. English Rugby has more than enough dough to spread around and if the Welsh want the dosh so bad, why don't they have a playoff trophy for the Magners League and actually make it worth watching once in a while.

I think if you got off your high horse, dragged yourself away from your sky box and tried watching a Magners League game you would see that it is actually worth watching.
Some of the games i've seen this season have been scintillating: welsh derbies, irish derbies! Ospreys vs Leinster last week was absolutely awesome. There was so much passion in the match. There were tries form one end of the field to the other. Great kicking displays and you've got some amazing talent on display.
Granted, there are some horrific matches (see Dragons vs Connacht), but i don't see how you can maintain such an elitist attitude when you only have the GP stand behind.
I'm not implying it's inferior to the Magners League, but it certainly isn't superior.

1. I don't own a horse.

2. If I did own a horse, it'd be a Shetland Pony because they're cute and NOT VERY HIGH AT ALL.

3. I don't have a sky box.

4. The ML may be exciting, but there still isn't enough prodding to make it as competitive as those leagues with relegation such as the GP and the Top 14 in France.

5. I'm right.

6 You're wrong.

7. I'm big.

8. You're small.

9. SILENCE!

9a. Lora smells of wee.

To be honest The Magners and The Guinness Premiership are very good in both their own right I believe they should be on a level playing field in comparison. The Guinness Premiership has some fantastic defensive styles of play, where Magners have flamboyant displays of passing although both seen in both leagues.. The EDF Cup is a waste of space in my opinion, I believe it is the poorest excuse for a Cup competition since the World Series in Baseball...
Nothing against the Welsh Sides or the English Sides, it should be played in an FA Cup style of game, with the smaller national league sides from England...

If I was to change the Guinness Premiership, I would change it so that there was 2 teams being dropped and 2 Teams coming up from the league, also the parachute payment would have to go as well I think... But I would also increase the financing for the National League Systems, so we bring more Youth talent up to the higher divisions from the lower leagues... Current England Captain started his game with Redruth, so people like that should be rewarded for discovering talent in the game...

Latest posts