• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's More Popular in AUS- A-League or Super Rugby

RWC2011Fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
Was just wondering what's more popular in Australia right now; their Super Rugby franchises or the Hyundai A-League teams (minus the Wellington Phoenix, obviously). I ask this because of the massive crowds the A-League has been getting lately, possibly due to the introduction of a bunch of imports.

Was just wondering what's more popular in Australia right now; their Super Rugby franchises or the Hyundai A-League teams (minus the Wellington Phoenix, obviously). I ask this because of the massive crowds the A-League has been getting lately, possibly due to the introduction of a bunch of imports.

Tough to say with the leagues not competing against one another at this point of the year. I know the Phoenix get bigger support than the Wellington NPC team does lately (been to quite a few of their matches myself) - but I can't comment too much on Australia. As you mentioned, the big name imports like Del Piero certainly aren't hurting the crowds, even in Wellington there are posters such as 'Watch Sydney v Phoenix: Featuring Del Piero' which draw in the crowds, so the hype is certainly increasing. That said I'd still have thought SR would be marginally ahead.

It's hard to tell. The A-League is in summer so has less competition from other sports. However, it also has 9 teams whereas Super Rugby only has 5. I think Super Rugby is marginally more popular as soccer in Australia to me still seems to be dominated by immigrant ethnic groups and is thus less representative of the population.

I'd say Super rugby. It does depend what state you're in as well. Perth Glory are pretty popular, but as will18 said, soccer is dominated by immigrants and most aussies don't pay much attention to it.

Latest posts