• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

which club will win the heineken cup?

Toulouse will/should win. On that subject, who will be the starting half back? Ellisalde or Kelleher? I'd pick Ellisalde judging by the recent RWC form.
Toulouse have an awesome centers pairing with Fritz and Jauzion, and the loosies are brilliant especially with Dusautoir who's a beast. I hope they win.

Toulouse will/should win. On that subject, who will be the starting half back? Ellisalde or Kelleher? I'd pick Ellisalde judging by the recent RWC form.
Toulouse have an awesome centers pairing with Fritz and Jauzion, and the loosies are brilliant especially with Dusautoir who's a beast. I hope they win. [/b]
They are a very talented side. I worry about their flyhalf though. Gaffie Du Toit is a woeful player and their backup Mathieu Belie is an unproven 19 year old. That could prove to be their downfall. Perhaps they would have been better off investing in a new 10 rather than Byron Kelleher since they already had a world class scrumhalf on their books in Ellisalde.

<div class='quotemain'> Toulouse will/should win. On that subject, who will be the starting half back? Ellisalde or Kelleher? I'd pick Ellisalde judging by the recent RWC form.
Toulouse have an awesome centers pairing with Fritz and Jauzion, and the loosies are brilliant especially with Dusautoir who's a beast. I hope they win. [/b]
They are a very talented side. I worry about their flyhalf though. Gaffie Du Toit is a woeful player and their backup Mathieu Belie is an unproven 19 year old. That could prove to be their downfall. Perhaps they would have been better off investing in a new 10 rather than Byron Kelleher since they already had a world class scrumhalf on their books in Ellisalde.
[/b][/quote]

2 world class no 9s is never too much, especially given the structure of the club season. And besides they have world class Freddie "cosistent performer" michalak at no10. Oh, i see your point.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Toulouse will/should win. On that subject, who will be the starting half back? Ellisalde or Kelleher? I'd pick Ellisalde judging by the recent RWC form.
[/b][/quote]

2 world class no 9s is never too much, especially given the structure of the club season. And besides they have world class Freddie "cosistent performer" michalak at no10. Oh, i see your point.

[/b][/quote]
Signing Kelleher isn't the problem but it didn't address an area of need. If it came down to a choice between a world class scrumhalf and world class 10, I think they made the wrong decision. That's not a slight against Kelleher who'll do a great job.

Michalak has signed for the Sharks for next season. If they can bring in Stephen Larkham, Toulouse will look extremely hard to beat bt until then, they've a weak spot at their pivotal position.

To be honest with all of you, I think it is too early to say who will win it all since we haven't even been able to see some of the powerhouse teams at full strength due to the World Cup. However, I'm going to make my Pool Stages predictions now:

Pool 1
Perpignan
Newport Gwent Dragons
London Irish
Benetton Treviso

Pool 2
Gloucester Rugby
Ulster
Ospreys
Bourgoin-Jallieu

Pool 3
Cardiff Blues
Stade Français
Harlequins
Bristol Rugby

Pool 4
Biarritz Olympique
Saracens
Rugby Viadana
Glasgow Warriors

Pool 5
Clermont Auvergne
London Wasps
Munster
Llanelli Scarlets

Pool 6
Toulouse
Leicester Tigers
Leinster
Edinburgh Rugby

Pool 5 was very difficult to choose. That is going to be one insane group with every match being a possible 'one of the best ever.' I'm really looking forward to it as well as Biarritz against Saracens in late November and Toulouse against Leicester in early December.

Pool 5
Clermont Auvergne
London Wasps
Munster
Llanelli Scarlets

Wow, what a pool! :blink:

It will be interesting to see which teams go through as runners-up. Tigers/Toulouse could get one as home/away wins against Leinster and Edinburgh aren't out of the question. pool 5 i think won't provide a runner-up, as most likely all sides will lose 1 match and the runners up 2. pool 3 and 4 both look good to provide a runner up if the sides with less HC experience suffer.

I'll give this a go aswell.

Pool 1
Newport Gwent Dragons
Perpignan
London Irish
Benetton Treviso

Pool 2
Ospreys
Gloucester Rugby
Ulster
Bourgoin-Jallieu

Pool 3
Cardiff Blues
Stade Français
Harlequins
Bristol Rugby

Pool 4
Biarritz Olympique
Saracens
Glasgow Warriors
Rugby Viadana

Pool 5
Llanelli Scarlets
London Wasps
Clermont Auvergne
Munster

Pool 6
Leicester Tigers
Toulouse
Leinster
Edinburgh Rugby

Ok, mayb that won't be how the pools will stand. I do honestly believe Ospreys and Blues will make it through this year, and Scarlets group can go to any of them. Dragons, with a couple of excellent games have a chance, being in the easiest group could mean runners up will be good enough.

What do the other Welsh posters think? How many Welsh regions through this year? I say 2, Ospreys and Blues.

Pool 1
Perpignan

Newport Gwent Dragons
London Irish
Benetton Treviso

Pool 2
Ospreys
Ulster

Gloucester Rugby
Bourgoin-Jallieu

Pool 3
Stade Français

Cardiff Blues
Harlequins
Bristol Rugby

Pool 4
Biarritz Olympique
Saracens
Glasgow Warriors
Rugby Viadana

Pool 5
Llanelli Scarlets

Munster
Clermont Auvergne
London Wasps

Pool 6
Toulouse
Leicester Tigers
Leinster
Edinburgh Rugby

runners up through will be Leicester and Sarries. interestingly this could be the toughest year for Munster yet, especially given the performance of some of their key players in the Ireland squad. i think the 3 teams most likely to finish top of their group are Stade, Perpignan and Biarritz.

To Dullonien

Pool 1
Perpignan (After all, they were the only team to beat the Wasps last year ;) )

London Irish
Newport Gwent Dragons
Benetton Treviso

Pool 2
Ospreys
Gloucester Rugby
Ulster
Bourgoin-Jallieu

Pool 3
Stade Français

Cardiff Blues
Harlequins
Bristol Rugby

Pool 4
Biarritz Olympique
Saracens

Glasgow Warriors
Rugby Viadana

Pool 5
Llanelli Scarlets

London Wasps
Clermont Auvergne
Munster

Pool 6
Leicester Tigers
Toulouse

Leinster
Edinburgh Rugby

I think the Ospreys and the Scarlets (due to bias :p) will get through. I have a feeling the Blues will mess up again against Stade in the Arms Park and I think Bristol MAY be too hard for them away.
As for the Dragons, this is a team that struggled to beat Calvisano earlier this year to qualify. I'd like them to go through, but I seriously doubt it.

I agree Mr Speedy, my post was a bit of tongue in cheek. As I said, I think Ospreys and Blues are the strongest contenders, Scarlets would be if they were in any other group (group 5 is just impossible to call).

the way Wasps have been i can't see them getting through as they will likely go down to Munster and Llanelli away, possibly losing one other.

I agree Mr Speedy, my post was a bit of tongue in cheek. As I said, I think Ospreys and Blues are the strongest contenders, Scarlets would be if they were in any other group (group 5 is just impossible to call). [/b]

Yep, Ospreys are definately the strongest contenders!

Moderator Prestwick says:

jaynets7.jpg

I reckon tigers might do it but i think we need 1 of our fly halfs to hit top form and personally i think it will be Toulouse or Llanelli

I agree Mr Speedy, my post was a bit of tongue in cheek. As I said, I think Ospreys and Blues are the strongest contenders, Scarlets would be if they were in any other group (group 5 is just impossible to call). [/b]

Of the Welsh Regions that is, before anyone has a go.

I wish Clermont do it, but Toulouse seems monstrous this year. [/b]

Why? As far as I can see Toulouse have not found yet neither a strong pack nor a talented FH.

It will be interesting to see which teams go through as runners-up. Tigers/Toulouse could get one as home/away wins against Leinster and Edinburgh aren't out of the question. pool 5 i think won't provide a runner-up, as most likely all sides will lose 1 match and the runners up 2. pool 3 and 4 both look good to provide a runner up if the sides with less HC experience suffer.
[/b]

I think Pool 6 will only see 1 qualifier as all teams have strong home records, I won't be surprised to see the pool winner going through with only 4 wins and as for Leicester & Toulouse doing the double over Leinster & Edinburgh, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Latest posts