• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which Quarter Final upset do you think is most likely to occur?

Which Quarter Final upset is most likely?

• Wales beat South Africa

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Argentina beat Ireland

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • France beat New Zealand

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Scotland beat Australia

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
argentina v australia ?

:rolleyes: very clever conrad! it should be a great game in any case. Sexton is 50/50. If he plays we will win.

If Sexton plays is an advantage for us. The lads must hit him too hard like a train in the first minutes and he won't end the first half. :D

Don't forget, Argentina is a very physical side. Especially our piggies. We have tough guys like Creevy, Lavanini, Matera or Leguizamon. :cool:

OZ - Scotland might be the less likely upset, however i also think people is underestimating them badly. It wont be a trashing, and i expect Scotland to put a fight until at least minute 60. Australia to win by 15.

Considering the level showed by both, SA - Wales, is going to be very close. if not because of all the injuries Wales suffered, it would be a 50-50 game. And even with so many casualties, the welsh proved to be a real danger to anyone, including the SANZAR boys. However, they wont win the whole thing, the draw looks impossible for them (SA, next AB, and final AUS/IRE/ARG)

Regarding FRA - AB, i remember in 2011 the french camp was a disaster. and they still made it to the final. It probably wont, but never give the frogs up for dead.

ARG - IRE, If our pack wins the forward battle and provides enough balls to the backline, and if we stay disciplined, we can win the match.

Last edited:
Current Ireland beating current Argentina would be an upset.

Meh, we haven't looked like we were ever going to lose any of our games and the improvement from Italy to France was very impressive. We've beaten two tier 1 sides which is two more than Argentina who are yet to prove themselves this RWC as far as I'm concerned. The big difference between the sides though is that if Argentina go out than that's par for the course for this tournament and it wouldn't be considered as a failure, totally the opposite for Ireland as topping our group for the second consecutive World Cup means anything but a win to back it up this time is a failure.

But still not performing how you should be based on your form over the last 2 years, the AB's are the same but we know they can rise for the big games, lets see Ireland put 3 in a row together.

I can see Argentina getting a result against Ireland. From what I've seen of them they've looked good this year. Ireland played well when it mattered against France but I really like the rounded game the argies are bringing at the moment.

Even though it's a big ask I can see Wales beating South Africa. Probably just my one-eyed Welshness there though given some of the other comments

Don't think France will come close to the all blacks, they've been bad for a while now (last few 6n finishes have been dire). Maybe they can get themselves up for one game but I just can't see it.

Sorry to all the Scotland fans, but I don't give them a hope. Their defence loses it for me. I can see aus winning by 25+.

Aus will record a straightforward win, as will the Boks. Japan did the Boks a huge favour while Wales have lost too many players and are coming into it off the back of 2 massive games the last of which they blew. I just see the Welsh running out of steam.

NZ should have enough old heads in the team to see them through the odd wobble against France without too much difficulty. Really don't see the French summoning the spirit of 07 or 99, but you never know.

I'd back a full Ireland team, but they're missing 2 world class flankers and their talismanic captain. I think Sexton must also be a gamble. This will be my "must see" of the weekend. I think a much greater Irish support in the stadium will just carry them over the line, but an Argie win wouldn't be a shock. Shame this is a QF as I'd really have liked to see both in the semis tilting for the final.

Unfortunately I don't reckon there will be any upsets this weekend.Business as usual for AB's,Boks,Aus.I take Ireland to beat Argentina but wouldn't call that an upset.

I read today, the All Black lineup against France has close to 1300 caps :O Those guys must be all 50yr olds :lol:

I actually think people are overestimating Australia. That game could be close.

No. No it couldn't. Scotland are lucky to be there, scraping a victory against Samoa and beating a fatigued Japan side. Whilts Japan should be there, it is important to say congrats to the Scots for making it through. Bu they simply don't stand a chance. They aren't skillful or powerful enough to beat a side that destroyed England with good, quick ball and kept the Welsh out with just 13 men. They were the worst side in the 6 Nations not by the way they played, but by the fact they couldn't win anything. Now that may be changing, as we saw against Samoa, but this was a dismal Samoan side this year and they should have been put away more convincingly. If they came up against Italy in the quarters, then yeah, maybe they could win, but they are so far below the quality of the other 7 sides right now it is quite embarassing.

I actually think people are overestimating Australia. That game could be close.

More like underestimating Scotland. There's been a lot to like about the way they have played all their games in this tournament. A close game is very likely

No full stop.

- - - Updated - - -

More like underestimating Scotland. There's been a lot to like about the way they have played all their games in this tournament. A close game is very likely

Yes actually, that is what I should have said. ^^

As a bit of a Japan fan, I reckon the Scots have been somewhat flattered by that one game to be completely honest. The Japanese have all of 4 days to back up after a game against the f##king Springboks, and they frankly looked tired by half time.

The Scots will come out firing for sure, but I also don't think it's terribly unfair to see them at the odds they are given they've been terrible in the 6N for years and Samoa really outplayed them and only lost due to some overly ambitious play in their own 22.

True Sanzar. Teams can lift when it's all on the line though. But I think in my heart the Wallabies will win this comfortably. They were emotionally drained after dumping england out of the comp and Wales had a bit more time for that game. We might see the Wallabies starting to bring their peak game Monday morning (aussie time)

"This one will be rather straightforward. The Australians showed how they can punish teams with good, quick ball against England, and then they went on to prove against Wales that even with 13 men they can prevent a team scoring. Scotland on the other hand are lucky to be here. They scraped past Samoa, and beat a fatigued Japan side that arguably deserved a spot in the quarter-finals more than the Scots. If Scotland's defence is as sloppy as it was against Samoa, this could be truly embarassing for Cotter and his men."

http://fourballsblog.blogspot.fr/2015/10/australia-vs-scotland-rwc-2015-quarter.html

I firmly believe the Scots stand no chance. Their defence against Samoa was diabolical, and when you compare it to the Australian wall against Wales it looks as if they'll struggle to get a point. Gone for a 25+ point win for Australia, and think people are overestimating Scotland when they see people are underestimating Scotland. I feel I am firmly and fairly, quite simply estimating Scotland.

Latest posts