And which ones can't?

profitius

BANNED!!!
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

All unions will take a hit. That hit will eventually see wages reduced for a few years. Some players who just signed new contracts got lucky. That's my take on it. I think the club teams might be hit more than the unions.

Tallshort

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Poland

Club or Nation

Leicester

I I'm being honest the fate of the unions is not really something I care about anymore. As long as grass roots rugby comes out of this the rest is irrelevant.

Jabby

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

New Zealand

Club or Nation

Otago

learnt something interesting yesterday

the AFL players union signed a new control within the last couple of years, players accepted a small raise in pay but negotiated primarily a share of profits....coming to bite them in the arse not seeing as there wont be profit for a couple of years

mdaclarke

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Club or Nation

Wales

All unions will take a hit. That hit will eventually see wages reduced for a few years. Some players who just signed new contracts got lucky. That's my take on it. I think the club teams might be hit more than the unions.
Agreed, it may even level the playing field between NH and SH a bit as although both are losing revenue the NH will be losing more.

Groundhog

#1 Cuck
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

Aussies have stood down 75% of their staff until June 30th and is projecting a loss of $120 million revenue with the entire international season wiped out. Not unexpected, but you'd worry about the sport when this is all said and done.

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

Yeah it's hard to see Australia coming back from that considering how bad things have gotten over there for Union in general recently

Old Hooker

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Aussies have stood down 75% of their staff until June 30th and is projecting a loss of $120 million revenue with the entire international season wiped out. Not unexpected, but you'd worry about the sport when this is all said and done.
You do.

When this is all done and dusted I hope rugby and many other sports take a long hard look in the mirror and take the opportunity to reset as behind the glitz of the showcase events they largely seem to be built on foundations of sand. Of course these are exceptional times but we all knew the fault lines were there.

themole25

First XV
Reaction score
Club or Nation

La Rochelle

Leinster Fan

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Coronavirus was just the nail in the coffin. USA rugby would have gone bankrupt years ago if it wasn’t for world rugby. They probably would have declared after nationals this spring as they couldn’t afford to host them.

If you’re Union was strong before this it will be fine. Nothing was saving USA rugby.
Do you think rugby will be okay over there, or is this a major blow to the growth of the game?

Most of the Tier 1 countries will probably be fine I think, with the exception of Australia, and potentially the Celts (especially Scotland) if this goes on long enough). Tier 2 is the bigger worry for me, a lot of unions could struggle to stay afloat.

themole25

First XV
Reaction score
Club or Nation

La Rochelle

MLR is fine. It's only relationship with USA Rugby is that USA Rugby sanctions it.

The most likely solution is that a bare-boned national governing body will run the national teams while competitions will begin to run themselves. Frankly, large national structures are unamerican and regional/state based associations make the most sense. Colleges have been doing their own thing for awhile and the club game will become more local based. USA Rugby would just need to sanction all the events and let the rugby sort itself out. There's enough people here who love rugby enough to volunteer their time to make sure there is rugby every Saturday and that each Saturday the rugby gets better.

Honestly, not having as much of our dues go to the national body can only be good for USA Rugby. We need local leadership (I swear to god I'm not a Republican) with money who can do more to grow the game.

RugbyUSA

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

United States

Club or Nation

SFGG

MLR is fine. It's only relationship with USA Rugby is that USA Rugby sanctions it.

The most likely solution is that a bare-boned national governing body will run the national teams while competitions will begin to run themselves. Frankly, large national structures are unamerican and regional/state based associations make the most sense. Colleges have been doing their own thing for awhile and the club game will become more local based. USA Rugby would just need to sanction all the events and let the rugby sort itself out. There's enough people here who love rugby enough to volunteer their time to make sure there is rugby every Saturday and that each Saturday the rugby gets better.

Honestly, not having as much of our dues go to the national body can only be good for USA Rugby. We need local leadership (I swear to god I'm not a Republican) with money who can do more to grow the game.
USA Rugby filed for bankruptcy. :eek: https://www.cbssports.com/general/n...nkruptcy-in-the-wake-of-coronavirus-outbreak/

Last edited:

Derpus

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

Australia

Club or Nation

Waratahs

Yeah it's hard to see Australia coming back from that considering how bad things have gotten over there for Union in general recently
Aus Rugby, for those few paying attention, is currently undergoing a 'make Rugby great again' moment where the playing generation from the early 90s are trying to 'take back over' despite being unqualified and inexperienced. If you know who Phil Kearns is, he's posited to take over as CEO of RA despite having no sports admin experience.

Anyway yeah, shits ****** yo and if we don't go bankrupt we will be criminally mismanaged by egocentric Eastern Suburbs mugs from the 90s.

RugbyUSA

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

United States

Club or Nation

SFGG

Well stated profitius. I agree with you.

Last edited: