Which Unions can cope with the financial impact of Coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by mdaclarke, Mar 17, 2020.

1. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

And which ones can't?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. profitius

profitius First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

All unions will take a hit. That hit will eventually see wages reduced for a few years. Some players who just signed new contracts got lucky. That's my take on it. I think the club teams might be hit more than the unions.

4. Tallshort

Tallshort International

Country Flag:

Poland

Club or Nation:

Leicester

I I'm being honest the fate of the unions is not really something I care about anymore. As long as grass roots rugby comes out of this the rest is irrelevant.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

learnt something interesting yesterday

the AFL players union signed a new control within the last couple of years, players accepted a small raise in pay but negotiated primarily a share of profits....coming to bite them in the arse not seeing as there wont be profit for a couple of years

6. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

Agreed, it may even level the playing field between NH and SH a bit as although both are losing revenue the NH will be losing more.

7. Old Hooker

Old Hooker First XV

Country Flag:

England

8. Groundhog

Groundhog #1 Cuck

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Aussies have stood down 75% of their staff until June 30th and is projecting a loss of $120 million revenue with the entire international season wiped out. Not unexpected, but you'd worry about the sport when this is all said and done.

9. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Yeah it's hard to see Australia coming back from that considering how bad things have gotten over there for Union in general recently

10. Old Hooker

Old Hooker First XV

Country Flag:

England

You do.

When this is all done and dusted I hope rugby and many other sports take a long hard look in the mirror and take the opportunity to reset as behind the glitz of the showcase events they largely seem to be built on foundations of sand. Of course these are exceptional times but we all knew the fault lines were there.

11. themole25

themole25 First XV

Club or Nation:

La Rochelle

Coronavirus was just the nail in the coffin. USA rugby would have gone bankrupt years ago if it wasn’t for world rugby. They probably would have declared after nationals this spring as they couldn’t afford to host them.

If you’re Union was strong before this it will be fine. Nothing was saving USA rugby.

12. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Do you think rugby will be okay over there, or is this a major blow to the growth of the game?

Most of the Tier 1 countries will probably be fine I think, with the exception of Australia, and potentially the Celts (especially Scotland) if this goes on long enough). Tier 2 is the bigger worry for me, a lot of unions could struggle to stay afloat.

13. themole25

themole25 First XV

Club or Nation:

La Rochelle

MLR is fine. It's only relationship with USA Rugby is that USA Rugby sanctions it.

The most likely solution is that a bare-boned national governing body will run the national teams while competitions will begin to run themselves. Frankly, large national structures are unamerican and regional/state based associations make the most sense. Colleges have been doing their own thing for awhile and the club game will become more local based. USA Rugby would just need to sanction all the events and let the rugby sort itself out. There's enough people here who love rugby enough to volunteer their time to make sure there is rugby every Saturday and that each Saturday the rugby gets better.

Honestly, not having as much of our dues go to the national body can only be good for USA Rugby. We need local leadership (I swear to god I'm not a Republican) with money who can do more to grow the game.

14. RugbyUSA

RugbyUSA Bench Player

Country Flag:

United States

Club or Nation:

Old Mission

USA Rugby filed for bankruptcy. :eek: https://www.cbssports.com/general/n...nkruptcy-in-the-wake-of-coronavirus-outbreak/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020 at 12:35 AM
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!