• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WHY DON'T WE PACFIC ISLANDERS have our own trinations....

sasa

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Canterbury RU
Yes lets stop relying on playing the AB's or Walliabies or England I think this world cup shows Samoa and Tonga are good enough! if we play each other on a yearly bases WE WILL ALWAYS BE IN THE TOP 8 of the world cup!

if you of Pacific island decent come on let me know how I can get in contact is the Samoan or Fijian or Tongan union to get this to happen!:lol::huh::mellow:

Here's my idea how it should be like...the Pacific Tri nations should be played when the PI pro season is over in Europe! meaning the best players will always be aviable

first game in Eden park Samoa vs Tonga!

2nd game Fiji vs Tonga (in Fiji) with a friendly test between Samoa vs USA in America...

3rd game Samoa vs Fiji (in Samoa)

4th game Samoa vs Tonga (Eden park)

5th game Fiji vs Tonga (in Tonga)

6th game Samoa vs Fiji (in Fiji)

Final at Eden park....

Prize money 500,000 dollars for players and coach who comes first 300,000 for runner up and 200,000 for just competeing!

Forgot to mention Tonga friendly against Argentina (in Argentina) and Fiji friendly test against Japan (unlike the all blacks I want to strengthen the game world wide...)

The money generated by the three games in Eden park and in the islands barring the sponsorship will generate at least 5 million dollars

So this being a yearly basis will for sure strengthen the support for the three unions for years to come...lets talk pros and cons

But the real question I like to know does anyone know how to get in contact with the the unions????

A cup involving the pacific nations?
If only something like that existed...

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

this already happens, but there is little money involved in the tournament the teams are very weakened
Your right if the games are held in the islands...If the games are held in NZ different story

I was thinking of 45,000 fans in Eden park...you generate 800,000 dollars if ya sell the tickets at 20 dollars a head.

But the timing of the tournament should be when the players are available to play from Europe...We got to get the players playing together continually for four years and you will see they will be on par with the All blacks mark my word!

• ;)

A cup involving the pacific nations?
If only something like that existed...

what's that??? hopefully some outsider would let me know how you can get in contact with the headquarters of the Samoan Tongan or Fijian unions....

But in Auckland alone there are about 130,000 Samoans and 60,000 Tongans and believe me they are hardcore support on the level like you see in English soccer! filling up Eden park no problem but you gonna need about 10,000 cops to keep them apart

You have the 6 nations the 4 nations...Why not a PI 3 nations????

Include Japan as per the current model and you have access to a very BIG economy. The footprint is existing and it's up to the organizers to fine tune and get the best out of it but it's allready there.

Apart from playing half of the games in Eden park, how does this differ from the current pacific nations cup (other than no Japan)?

Forgive me if this sounds like heresy, not to say a probable logistical nightmare; but with all the issues of player availability, why not play the tournament in Europe? Or alternate it between Europe and NZ? And then maybe add some extra local draw by having a one-off test between the winner and the host nation? As a rugby fan I'd be thrilled to watch Samoa vs Tonga in a competitive fixture at the Ospreys' Liberty Stadium, and I'm sure plenty of Wasps, Leinster and Edinburgh fans would feel the same way. Add on the prospect of the eventual winners playing (e.g.) a full Millennium Stadium test against Wales, and surely it's "ker-ching"? :)

what's that??? hopefully some outsider would let me know how you can get in contact with the headquarters of the Samoan Tongan or Fijian unions....

But in Auckland alone there are about 130,000 Samoans and 60,000 Tongans and believe me they are hardcore support on the level like you see in English soccer! filling up Eden park no problem but you gonna need about 10,000 cops to keep them apart

You have the 6 nations the 4 nations...Why not a PI 3 nations????

That'd bite substantially into the profits of the game.

If this tournament could just manage to pay to get the big players out every year and break even I'd be impressed.

Forgive me if this sounds like heresy, not to say a probable logistical nightmare; but with all the issues of player availability, why not play the tournament in Europe? Or alternate it between Europe and NZ? And then maybe add some extra local draw by having a one-off test between the winner and the host nation? As a rugby fan I'd be thrilled to watch Samoa vs Tonga in a competitive fixture at the Ospreys' Liberty Stadium, and I'm sure plenty of Wasps, Leinster and Edinburgh fans would feel the same way. Add on the prospect of the eventual winners playing (e.g.) a full Millennium Stadium test against Wales, and surely it's "ker-ching"? :)

Because the Millenium stadium is full how often these days? Same goes for Murrayfield. I'm not sure the money's on show up here either. It would make sense given how many of the players are up north, but it doesn't sound like a money spinner imo.

Anyway, sounds like the poster just wants the Pacific Nations Cup to get more serious. Which would be a good thing. I'd welcome an IRB subsidy to that effect.

However, if it is going to get more serious, it'll have to happen in a designated international window. Elsewise there'll be no players from the English Premiership there. Not condoning it, just stating a fact.

I think the whole idea is so the PI unions doing something without relying on the IRB

Secondly a game with 45,000 PI playing in Eden park would be different from one played in Wales...More passion for the teams

revenue made by tickets alone played in Eden park would be around the 3 million dollar mark money when transfered back to the island nation would triple three times than say played in the island and if done on a yearly bases we won't really see the issues of money problem of the islands like they did in this world cup

That'd bite substantially into the profits of the game.

If this tournament could just manage to pay to get the big players out every year and break even I'd be impressed.

Because the Millenium stadium is full how often these days? Same goes for Murrayfield. I'm not sure the money's on show up here either. It would make sense given how many of the players are up north, but it doesn't sound like a money spinner imo.

Anyway, sounds like the poster just wants the Pacific Nations Cup to get more serious. Which would be a good thing. I'd welcome an IRB subsidy to that effect.

However, if it is going to get more serious, it'll have to happen in a designated international window. Elsewise there'll be no players from the English Premiership there. Not condoning it, just stating a fact.
LOL I was joking about the cops...But fact is we not even talking about the sponsorship of the game really??? so the amount of money can be made is "unknown" but if we just go off with tickets sales we talking about an excess of 4 million dollars!

If you just put a side the prize money at one million dollars then I'm sure 3 million dollars is enough to cover all the other worries....If anything the IRB should do is make sure all players allowed to play the tournament...We handle the rest

Wales have to fight to get their Premiership players in the summer, I doubt the Pacific Nations have enough money to even contemplate bringing them over
Agree 100% this way the timing of the games held is important like when the English and French rugby seasons are over...The IRB should allow clubs to represent there nations....And lastly if the games are held in just the islands....Forget it cause the money made is close to nothing.

The currency in NZ dollars would make 100 samoan dollars into 40 dollars and when you have a stadium holding a capcity of 20,000 fans and tickets at 10 dollars a head

You will make nothing....That why I said games held in NZ

MAJOR DIFFERENCE...this is a six test series Prize money played in NZ (two test and finals in NZ) 4 back in the islands thing is only Japan made a profit not the islands in fact many of the fans don't turn up due to we'll...The best players never play it's like a Samoa B team vs the Tongan B team... Be great if people can let me know how to get in contact with the Samoan Tongan and Fijian officials...things only happen if they know. All together you got 20,000 people attending the games....Just shows if you put together crap you get crap supporthttp://www.therugbyforum.com/forumOLD/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Where's all this prize money coming from though? Not as if the PI nations unions are rolling in it!

Where's all this prize money coming from though? Not as if the PI nations unions are rolling in it!

True...How do England or NZ make money in fact the only way NZ is making profit for this world cup is through "ticket sales"

Like I said no money will be made if the games are played in the islands..."you have to think outside the box"

Eden park with 45,000 fans with tickets selling as cheap as 25 dollars generate 1,000,000 NZ dollars....

two test in NZ $2,000,000 and throw in the finals 3 million NZ dollars...

This not mentioning money made for selling flags clothing sponsorships...So making the money won't be the problem...the problem is will the IRB allow it????

• :huh:

Hey man does anyone know what websites to go to to get in contact with the Samoan Tongan and Fijian officials???

Seriously that's why I'm here...I tell you guys and then go to the next level

Because the Millenium stadium is full how often these days?

Erm... for every 6nations games and every autumn international except for when we play against the token minnow. So given those stats about 85% of the time.
BUT...that one time it's not full is usually against the likes of Fiji. :(

Latest posts