• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WHY DON'T WE PACFIC ISLANDERS have our own trinations....

Your idea is almost identical to the current competition. They just need to move a Samoan and Tongan home game to Eden park. Kick out the only nation with any money from the comp, and then raise the prize money of that comp.

If you actually want to make these changes. You probably need to join the Samoan/Fijian/Tongan rugby union community. Get yourself on their board, and then raise your concerns there.

Unless you are a millionaire, then you can just sponsor the competition on the condition they make your changes.

Oh man, you're the best lol.
lol!

FC Barcelona vs. Real Madrid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51siiPdAzas

my vision is to have a Samoa and Tonga one! blue on one side red on the other...and the only war happening is on the pitch....If we dream together things can turn to reality.

• :lol:

Tofa! bradda I'm out but any person know how to pitch your ideas to the IRB or something let me know

Dude...Your idea lacks any substance and understanding of how a tornement is run.

Let's say we did you idea. Hold a PI Cup style tornement with out Japan, based in New Zealand.

We'll presume you are right, and matches averaage 45,000 people consistantly (something it never does at ITM Cup and SupeRugby level), for ticket prices at $25, and it makes a millions dollar per game. Who's paying for Eden Park? If it is held on a weekend it can't be during the ITM Cup or SupeRugby competition. Most importantly, how are players who are playing in France going to be released during one of the IRB test release times? Fiji can't even field half of thier best players because of NH contracts once every four years, what makes you think PI nations will be able to field anything but a "B" team? Why exclude Japan when they are trying to develop as well.

I feel you're looking in the wrong direction for PI development. They need more tests against tier 1 nations during the EoYT's and more involvment from the IRB and Players Union in getting players released from their clubs during test series without endangering their employment.

Dude...Your idea lacks any substance and understanding of how a tornement is run.

Let's say we did you idea. Hold a PI Cup style tornement with out Japan, based in New Zealand.

We'll presume you are right, and matches averaage 45,000 people consistantly (something it never does at ITM Cup and SupeRugby level), for ticket prices at $25, and it makes a millions dollar per game. Who's paying for Eden Park? If it is held on a weekend it can't be during the ITM Cup or SupeRugby competition. Most importantly, how are players who are playing in France going to be released during one of the IRB test release times? Fiji can't even field half of thier best players because of NH contracts once every four years, what makes you think PI nations will be able to field anything but a "B" team? Why exclude Japan when they are trying to develop as well.

I feel you're looking in the wrong direction for PI development. They need more tests against tier 1 nations during the EoYT's and more involvment from the IRB and Players Union in getting players released from their clubs during test series without endangering their employment.

All valid points in my opinion. However do you think PIs respective clubs will release them even for internationals during the Autumn and Summer? Probably not. Something needs to be done to ensure that the PI teams get their best players together to play genuine opposition. More money is needed for their unions.

I don't think a change to PNC is needed or the best option. Japan need proper competition at a high level and the PNC provides that, only if the PNC could get their best players released to play! Keep the current format it would be silly not to.
Don't forget that before this year's awful events in Japan the PNC was suppose to be held in Japan. Big crowds there could really generate a lot of money for their unions. Even more so now with the performance of Samoa and Tonga, I'm sure that will attract even more support.

Saying all that I think he has a point about having a game in Auckland. Why not have most of the games in Japan apart from Samoa v Tonga? Would be a good money spinner.

In all honesty the iRB have to do something with the PIs. But without these teams having a strong enough economy i'm not sure what they'll be able to do??

Erm... for every 6nations games and every autumn international except for when we play against the token minnow. So given those stats about 85% of the time.
BUT...that one time it's not full is usually against the likes of Fiji. :(

If this is true, I shall apologise and blame the misreporting of the press. I'd been given the impression that Wales were struggling somewhat to fill it these days.

That said, if they're not filling it for Fiji, then my point does actually stand...

There used to be a tri-nations Pacific Rim tournament, with Tonga, Samoa and Fiji nearly 20 years ago. It doesn't operate now, or i guess it expanded into the PNC eventually. It's the best option they have, it's just no-one outside of the islands cares about it.

Hey man does anyone know what websites to go to to get in contact with the Samoan Tongan and Fijian officials???

Seriously that's why I'm here...I tell you guys and then go to the next level

Good luck Uso. I mean that - truly.

For the Samoan Official - you'd first need to get rid of the Chairman BTW he's Samoa's Prime Minister.
For the Tongan Official - you'd have to figure out who's running things because all of them seem to think they are.
For the Fiji Officials - you'd need express approval from Bainarama and as he hates NZ it'd be highly unlikely that he would provide approval.

On top of all of that - you'd need millions just to get them to agree. Then you'd need millions to operate the project. And people that weren't part of those unions to run the finances.

Isn't this called the Pacific Nations including Japan? and formerly NZA?.

Good luck Uso. I mean that - truly. For the Samoan Official - you'd first need to get rid of the Chairman BTW he's Samoa's Prime Minister. For the Tongan Official - you'd have to figure out who's running things because all of them seem to think they are. For the Fiji Officials - you'd need express approval from Bainarama and as he hates NZ it'd be highly unlikely that he would provide approval. On top of all of that - you'd need millions just to get them to agree. Then you'd need millions to operate the project. And people that weren't part of those unions to run the finances.
LOL! thanks buddy why didn't i THINK OF THAT! the goverment of Samoa! man I'm going to Samoa next month! LOL seriously...I think if there is anyone more passionate about the manu is the goverment really....I think if you talk about how you can make "millions" playing the games over in NZ to the "thousands" they make on the islands. Money can do magic! the thing I always feel may get in the way is the IRB or the English clubs or something? Thing is if you do the maths and if the first two years it works out like I feel it would you can start playing more games in NZ Fiji vs Samoa etc.... This in return you will also attract the first tier nations wanting to play Samoa in Auckland (due to money wise) I mean who know the six nations champion like England playing the PI nations champions Samoa at Eden park. So there's more possibilities of things getting better for the PI nations than worse...Having home games played in NZ will open a whole need can of worms

Isn't this called the Pacific Nations including Japan? and formerly NZA?.
I know but everyone who seen that format is

A games played only in the islands
B best players never played
C interest in the games is dying even in Japan
D no finals
E only 4 games while this has 8

And lastly the only team making a profit would be Japan but it's only due to sponosorship not crowds

All easily fixed...

There are three stadiums in Auckland so not all of them will be in use at one time

Secondly I've always said the timing of the games should be when the PI players not season is over in the European season...Lastly by Excluding Japan or including them is still an option due to you can have home and away so maybe a four nations tournament may sound better than three...But for know I'm only concern is three. (due to we'll too many games)

Lastly the reason why ITM won't fill up Eden park compared to a Tonga vs Samoa clash is cause there is a rivalry between the two islands and they have a pride which can only be compared to Manchester united...if Tongans heard they playing Samoa tommorow don't worry filling the staduims won't be too hate it's the hatered which brings them together not the love

IRB will pay the for the use of staduims LOL! and the damage to them also lol

Thanks! TFL I think your right see how things get better....including Japan is a good option.

It's know a four nations not a three nations dang! in four years time that Japanese team is gonna look all brown! and less asain

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be cool to see an PI tournament but whether the teams will be able to field their best players is probably one of the most concerning issues. Argentina are going to join the Tri Nations which I think can only improve the competition only if they can field a good team. If the PI teams can get more games against the tier1 nations it would be good even if they do get smoked by 50+ points, they'll gain good experience and will know how much they need to improve if they want to be more competitive.

Unfortunately ITM Cup and Super Rugby games locally aren't getting quite the crowds they use to, it's hard to put a hand on what it could be. I mostly don't got because it cost too much for tickets you're looking at $50 Super Rugby each for good seats and usually you'd go with 2 or 3 other people and than theres food and petrol is damn expensive so for a night out at the Rugby I'm thinking about $200+ when we could just stay at home and watch it on skytv.

It would be good to have a PI tournament but affordability becomes big factor whether people will come or not too :(

Eden Park with full strength sides for both Tonga and Samoa with the tickets at the same price they were at the world cup...I have no doubts it will sell out.

All easily fixed...

There are three stadiums in Auckland so not all of them will be in use at one time

Secondly I've always said the timing of the games should be when the PI players not season is over in the European season...Lastly by Excluding Japan or including them is still an option due to you can have home and away so maybe a four nations tournament may sound better than three...But for know I'm only concern is three. (due to we'll too many games)

Lastly the reason why ITM won't fill up Eden park compared to a Tonga vs Samoa clash is cause there is a rivalry between the two islands and they have a pride which can only be compared to Manchester united...if Tongans heard they playing Samoa tommorow don't worry filling the staduims won't be too hate it's the hatered which brings them together not the love

The Hate? Growing up in Tonga I know we never thought anything of it, The kids in Auckland and Sydney maybe different, But I know back home Tongans see Samoans as their Borthers. Sorry if im misreading what you're actually implying.

I think the only way for the islanders to get into a more lucrative position is joining the SANZAR setup somehow, as Argentina are doing. It's difficult to do that, as already has been said, with most of their players playing in Europe. So, the only logical thing for them to do is also be integrated into Super rugby too. Hopefully this will attract players back to the islands, which deserve to see high quality rugby played throughout the season. The bankers are really News Corp, who pay massive amounts for 3N and Super rugby. Argentina have had problems making their players available for the new 4N tournament because of the overlap with the European season.

Just reformatting the Pacific Islands trophy won't make a huge difference.

Personally I don't like the influence of Murdoch's News Corp on Southern Rugby, but you need to be in bed with them unless you want an exodus of players to Europe. It also requires the big 3 SANZAR unions to 'let you in', because ultimately they will be sharing their TV revenues. They're unlikely to split it again soon after just opening it up to Argentina.

In a Utopian future world 'traditional' tours would return, with SA/Aus/NZ touring each other every 4 years for example, and receiving 3 test tours from England, France, Ireland etc. In this structure it would be easier to integrate Samoa, Tonga and Fiji into top-flight test rugby every year. Teams that tour Aus or NZ would also visit the islands to play Samoa, Fiji, Tonga on their own paddocks. If we want the rugby culture to thrive there at grassroots level the younger generations need to be able to see those big games, and not just the odd visit from Japan or NZ Maori. Read about the famous victory for Samoa against Wales in the early 90s to see the inspiration that it gave the youngsters in the early 90s.

They can't be dependent on 2nd generation kids from Auckland to fill up their teams in the future, the best ones would go into the ABs set-up in any case. The incentive of top-level rugby against the 'powerhouse' nations every year would draw the great players of islander heritage to their Fijian, Samoan and Tongan teams and not towards the NZ team.

Of course they are right to question the 'club' that controls power in the IRB, the 6N countries, SANZAR... there obviously are inequalities. But the way Samoa have reacted - the accusations of racism, the death threats on twitter etc - have not helped their cause for restructuring. The IRB went to great lengths to better Argentina's situation, particularly because of their run in the last WC, and the IRB and SA Rugby had to persuade Aus/NZ to accept the Argentines. They are people that you need to curry favour with, not publically insult.

I think the only way for the islanders to get into a more lucrative position is joining the SANZAR setup somehow, as Argentina are doing. It's difficult to do that, as already has been said, with most of their players playing in Europe. So, the only logical thing for them to do is also be integrated into Super rugby too. Hopefully this will attract players back to the islands, which deserve to see high quality rugby played throughout the season. The bankers are really News Corp, who pay massive amounts for 3N and Super rugby. Argentina have had problems making their players available for the new 4N tournament because of the overlap with the European season.

Just reformatting the Pacific Islands trophy won't make a huge difference.

Personally I don't like the influence of Murdoch's News Corp on Southern Rugby, but you need to be in bed with them unless you want an exodus of players to Europe. It also requires the big 3 SANZAR unions to 'let you in', because ultimately they will be sharing their TV revenues. They're unlikely to split it again soon after just opening it up to Argentina.

In a Utopian future world 'traditional' tours would return, with SA/Aus/NZ touring each other every 4 years for example, and receiving 3 test tours from England, France, Ireland etc. In this structure it would be easier to integrate Samoa, Tonga and Fiji into top-flight test rugby every year. Teams that tour Aus or NZ would also visit the islands to play Samoa, Fiji, Tonga on their own paddocks. If we want the rugby culture to thrive there at grassroots level the younger generations need to be able to see those big games, and not just the odd visit from Japan or NZ Maori. Read about the famous victory for Samoa against Wales in the early 90s to see the inspiration that it gave the youngsters in the early 90s.

They can't be dependent on 2nd generation kids from Auckland to fill up their teams in the future, the best ones would go into the ABs set-up in any case. The incentive of top-level rugby against the 'powerhouse' nations every year would draw the great players of islander heritage to their Fijian, Samoan and Tongan teams and not towards the NZ team.

Of course they are right to question the 'club' that controls power in the IRB, the 6N countries, SANZAR... there obviously are inequalities. But the way Samoa have reacted - the accusations of racism, the death threats on twitter etc - have not helped their cause for restructuring. The IRB went to great lengths to better Argentina's situation, particularly because of their run in the last WC, and the IRB and SA Rugby had to persuade Aus/NZ to accept the Argentines. They are people that you need to curry favour with, not publically insult.
Everything you said sounds great....But thing is the IRB and the the people running the TRINATIONS don't give a dang about Samoa or Fiji?

Lets face it NZ only care about NZ Aust only looks out for there interest etc....

So the Pacific islanders have to relaize if you not gonna do anything for youselfs what you think the IRB gonna do??? nothing and for the next 4 years the PI nations will always be beggars begging for money!

I think what the majority of people saying about including the Japanese in as a four nations may have merits...transfoming the the Japanese yen to samoan dollars you called see that money tens times better than the NZ dollar!

It'll be cool to see an PI tournament but whether the teams will be able to field their best players is probably one of the most concerning issues. Argentina are going to join the Tri Nations which I think can only improve the competition only if they can field a good team. If the PI teams can get more games against the tier1 nations it would be good even if they do get smoked by 50+ points, they'll gain good experience and will know how much they need to improve if they want to be more competitive.

Unfortunately ITM Cup and Super Rugby games locally aren't getting quite the crowds they use to, it's hard to put a hand on what it could be. I mostly don't got because it cost too much for tickets you're looking at $50 Super Rugby each for good seats and usually you'd go with 2 or 3 other people and than theres food and petrol is damn expensive so for a night out at the Rugby I'm thinking about $200+ when we could just stay at home and watch it on skytv.

It would be good to have a PI tournament but affordability becomes big factor whether people will come or not too :(
Lets see Tonga just beat France...

Samoa bet Australia lost to Wales 17 10 lost to a full strength SA team 13 5...I think what you seeing is if teams play together over a long time you get close games...

Plus I've studied the time frame of when the best time to hold the games...majority of PI players play in France or England...

The best time is during the May to July no rugby in Europe is played then. But your right 50 dollars to go watch a Wellington B team play Auckland B not worth the money that's why no one watches, the pacific cup tournament...is really a Samoa B vs Tonga B game. plus how can you Samoa make money off one game in Apia??? you can't you have to have a home and away fixtures and have to have a final as a climax...Prize money too with Japan in there has to be at least 1.5 million NZ dollars on offer

The Hate? Growing up in Tonga I know we never thought anything of it, The kids in Auckland and Sydney maybe different, But I know back home Tongans see Samoans as their Borthers. Sorry if im misreading what you're actually implying.
Talofa...Your right about a Tonga vs Samoa game in NZ will sell out espically if the game is out in South auckland.

I don't think the hatred between the Tongans and Samoans is that bad maybe just those who still worry about fairy tale's back when we still ate humans

• :lol: at that one!

But on a more serious note....Tongans do like to out do Samoans for example we had 5,000 samoans greet manu and you guys came along with like 10,000....So I'm sure the only way you can tell who tongan and who samoan is only by what color shirt they wear on the day....

The only battle I agree on is when we play it on the feild in fact we should stuff the IRB laws and allow shoulder tackles and head highs...island rules bro!

Do you know how to get in contact with the Tongan unions....I'm like emailing the governor of Samoa...Still no replies
    • :angry:

Everything you said sounds great....But thing is the IRB and the the people running the TRINATIONS don't give a dang about Samoa or Fiji?
The IRB fund the pacific nations cup, do they not?

Latest posts