• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WHY DON'T WE PACFIC ISLANDERS have our own trinations....

Everything you said sounds great....But thing is the IRB and the the people running the TRINATIONS don't give a dang about Samoa or Fiji?

Lets face it NZ only care about NZ Aust only looks out for there interest etc....

So the Pacific islanders have to relaize if you not gonna do anything for youselfs what you think the IRB gonna do??? nothing and for the next 4 years the PI nations will always be beggars begging for money!

I think what the majority of people saying about including the Japanese in as a four nations may have merits...transfoming the the Japanese yen to samoan dollars you called see that money tens times better than the NZ dollar!

News Corp actually pay for rights in US$ so it's a pretty safe and good exchange rate for most nations. Yes Japan have a growing rugby culture and a strong currency, but is it realistic?
Which game would get more viewers/spectators? Samoa-Japan or Samoa-NZ? To some extent it is in NZ's interest to have more fixtures with the islanders, particularly in the Auckland area.

At the very least an islands-based SuperRugby franchise could be started. In the future an Argentine one might come about too. The Pacific Islands one could be in the NZ pool so they play plenty of games for expats in NZ and teams like Crusaders, Blues, Hurricanes etc visit Fiji, Samoa, Tonga for the away games (if the 3 share their home games). An Argentine team would most likely go in the SA pool (as the Pampas team is already in SA domestic scene). Australian group could add a Japanese franchise, as the Aussies are particularly keen on expanding into Asia.

Logistically, financially, and for the supporters (think of the islander communities living in NZ closer than Japan...) entry into SANZAR formats would be much more beneficial.

Much further down the line the 4N might be readjusted. Personally I'm sick of the round-robin format and sending B-teams back and forth to Aus/NZ every July and August. Going to NZ every 4/5 years for a shot at a 3-test series would be much more exciting, with the added bonus of tests against Samoa/Fiji/Tonga on their home islands. While the Springboks play Fiji in Suva, Tonga could play the All Blacks at Albany for instance. Midweek SA-NZ Maori, Tonga-Samoa etc. They would get a lot more market exposure and income integrated in SANZAR schedules.

News Corp actually pay for rights in US$ so it's a pretty safe and good exchange rate for most nations. Yes Japan have a growing rugby culture and a strong currency, but is it realistic?
Which game would get more viewers/spectators? Samoa-Japan or Samoa-NZ? To some extent it is in NZ's interest to have more fixtures with the islanders, particularly in the Auckland area.

At the very least an islands-based SuperRugby franchise could be started. In the future an Argentine one might come about too. The Pacific Islands one could be in the NZ pool so they play plenty of games for expats in NZ and teams like Crusaders, Blues, Hurricanes etc visit Fiji, Samoa, Tonga for the away games (if the 3 share their home games). An Argentine team would most likely go in the SA pool (as the Pampas team is already in SA domestic scene). Australian group could add a Japanese franchise, as the Aussies are particularly keen on expanding into Asia.

Logistically, financially, and for the supporters (think of the islander communities living in NZ closer than Japan...) entry into SANZAR formats would be much more beneficial.

Much further down the line the 4N might be readjusted. Personally I'm sick of the round-robin format and sending B-teams back and forth to Aus/NZ every July and August. Going to NZ every 4/5 years for a shot at a 3-test series would be much more exciting, with the added bonus of tests against Samoa/Fiji/Tonga on their home islands. While the Springboks play Fiji in Suva, Tonga could play the All Blacks at Albany for instance. Midweek SA-NZ Maori, Tonga-Samoa etc. They would get a lot more market exposure and income integrated in SANZAR schedules.

I don't think inclusion into Super Rugby would be realistic for the Island teams. It terms of economics the PIs have not been blessed with riches. If any move was to be moved into a professional structure I think it would have to be domestic, but I have to stress that the economics just wouldn't allow it. I don't think the PIs have an infer-structure that would support a professional league.

But they have so many guys playing all over the world and the iRB funded Pacific Rugby Cup and Pacific Nations Cup does such a good job of bringing through the young talent I don't know if a professional league is that needed. Couldn't hurt though, but don't think it's realistic.

I can only really see improvements being made to the current PNC. Like holding it in Japan and a few games in Auckland, (I think it's a good idea) and hopefully getting all their players released.

Though I'm not sure what the quality of the PRC is like I'm sure getting that extended into a few more game couldn't hurt? All the best domestic players concentrated into a few sides will create better quality so getting them playing together a bit more couldn't hurt. And of course if one day the PIs can set up some form of professionalism it should start here really.

On a side note it would be nice to see some form of Pacific Rip Intercontinental championship thing between the PIs, Japan, Canada, U.S. and perhaps some Argentina clubs. Kinda same thing as our Heineken cup. Straight knock out or something.

Last edited:
Bottomline: There is no money. Not from the nations, and certainly not from SANZAR unions. They have every right to protect their interests.

What would be ideal is a Global Season. Have the 4nations every 2 years in between the World Cups. That way you lose the repetitiveness.

Re-introduce proper Tours for Tier 1 nations. Maybe have Fringe Test players play not only club teams but Tier 2 teams within a certain region.

Increase the Pacific Nations to include say maybe the US/Canada etc. Also have all teams at full strength.

Last placed team in the 4 nations is relegated to this tournament, and winner of said Tournament is promoted to the following year's 4nations.

In an Ideal world that is.

The IRB fund the pacific nations cup, do they not?
Yes that's the thing put together by the IRB...just look at the world cup and see how much they cared about Samoa....

The problem with the pacific nations cup is not many game not played in NZ not top players list can go on and on!

We PI need to do things for ourselves....And stop worrying about why NZ or Austrilia or the IRB is not doing for us

Samoa vs Tonga will get the most spectators...As for viewer ship that's just depends how popluar the games will get....All I know is that the state of origin in Austrilia gets more viewers due to we'll.

The games are so great and the rivalry cannot be matched that even victorians and Kiwis what it for the history...Which is only about 25 years old.

Fact is lets be REALISTIC and relaize NZ and Australia or England won't go to the islands and play Samoa due to we'll how much money will they make??? if they see how the support is like in NZ the tune may change a bit and who knows you may again see

That SA vs Samoa or SA vs Tonga clash played in Albany...Which everyone who watched the game was a bonecrusher!

Question is why don't Samoa and Tonga have a game in NZ and find out???? has it ever happened??? why not??? lets do it and find out

I don't think inclusion into Super Rugby would be realistic for the Island teams. It terms of economics the PIs have not been blessed with riches. If any move was to be moved into a professional structure I think it would have to be domestic, but I have to stress that the economics just wouldn't allow it. I don't think the PIs have an infer-structure that would support a professional league.

But they have so many guys playing all over the world and the iRB funded Pacific Rugby Cup and Pacific Nations Cup does such a good job of bringing through the young talent I don't know if a professional league is that needed. Couldn't hurt though, but don't think it's realistic.

I can only really see improvements being made to the current PNC. Like holding it in Japan and a few games in Auckland, (I think it's a good idea) and hopefully getting all their players released.

Though I'm not sure what the quality of the PRC is like I'm sure getting that extended into a few more game couldn't hurt? All the best domestic players concentrated into a few sides will create better quality so getting them playing together a bit more couldn't hurt. And of course if one day the PIs can set up some form of professionalism it should start here really.

On a side note it would be nice to see some form of Pacific Rip Intercontinental championship thing between the PIs, Japan, Canada, U.S. and perhaps some Argentina clubs. Kinda same thing as our Heineken cup. Straight knock out or something.
lol!

Yes I guess you see where I'm going from...GAMES have to be based in NZ if there's any hope for any of the three unions think of making money. having it played in the islands and sticking to the format they ain't gonna make money

Stadiums too small
money currency is too small

The list can go on and on

by having three games in Japan 7 in NZ (with finals)and 3 in the islands you looking at each union making at least one million dollar profit this not including sponsorship.

how do you market the game it's VERY easy what you do is for the first game in South Auckland sell half of the seats say one side 15,000 to tongan fans and the other side 15,000 to Samoan fans

advertise selling the tickets for 30 dollars for two games (Samoa vs Tonga and Samoa vs Japan game, Japan being half price) and then relaize that no matter what when you get the next game played say the Samoa vs Japan game you will have no less than 15,000 fans for that game...

lol!

Yes I guess you see where I'm going from...GAMES have to be based in NZ if there's any hope for any of the three unions think of making money. having it played in the islands and sticking to the format they ain't gonna make money

Stadiums too small
money currency is too small

The list can go on and on

by having three games in Japan 7 in NZ (with finals)and 3 in the islands you looking at each union making at least one million dollar profit this not including sponsorship.

how do you market the game it's VERY easy what you do is for the first game in South Auckland sell half of the seats say one side 15,000 to tongan fans and the other side 15,000 to Samoan fans

advertise selling the tickets for 30 dollars for two games (Samoa vs Tonga and Samoa vs Japan game, Japan being half price) and then relaize that no matter what when you get the next game played say the Samoa vs Japan game you will have no less than 15,000 fans for that game...

I'm going out on a limb here...

You don't have a degree in marketing, do you?

I'm going out on a limb here...

You don't have a degree in marketing, do you?
lol...I've done my maths

fact is you get a tonga vs samoa game in NZ selling the tickets at 20 dollars per person you will get 800,000 dollars from just one game 30,000 fans

Why you think the ITM cup has such poor crowds and you will see the same reason why the pacific rim has poor crowds you get a poor product you get back poor rewards.

Lastly you don't need to market a Tonga vs Samoa game in NZ...It will seel just by the name itself

What you do is you try and sell two games for example the Tonga vs Samoa game and Japan vs Samoa game for 30 dollars so no matter what you will always make sure the attendance will not be less than 15,000 fans per game. might sell less but every other person who turns up to the Japan vs Samoa game pays full price.

Marketing the Tonga vs Samoa game is a breeze trust me unlike Auckland vs North Harbor game your struggle to get 5,000

EXCATLY!

thing is people need to relaize MONEY cannot be generated by the format the IRB has done it! if your not gonna play the games in NZ? and I mean have like 6 games played in NZ then you not gonna make the money.

Fact the only way NZ is making a profit in the world cup...ticket sales it's the fans turning up to the games who make money for the all blacks

lol...I've done my maths
fact is you get a tonga vs samoa game in NZ selling the tickets at 20 dollars per person you will get 800,000 dollars from just one game 30,000 fans

Now, I am pretty good at arithmetic, give me a triple digit number and multiply by a triple digit number and I will work it out in under 30 seconds in my head.

But I think there is something wrong here...

Latest posts