• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why is Wales v Australia in Cardiff?

will the 2015 tournament definatly take place in the NH?

and good news (for me) is that we should find out in the next few weeks if event Scotland are going to suggest the SRU bid for it.
[/b]

No disrespect to Scotland, but after the last couples of months, the SRU has had enough trouble with managing Edinburgh, let alone a whole world cup. And besides where are you going to hold all the matches? You would have to co-host with either or a mix of ENG, IRE, WAL or FRA, an then it would not be that different from this years.

Im not complaing that NZ have it in 2011, as I have a chance to go in my home country, but common Rugby purpose suggests Japan should have been the front runner. Its pretty fair comment that the votes are lobbied for (I think rigged is the wrong word) and the New Zealand carry a good advantage there over a tier 2 coutries application. That also feeds into another point with why NZ need to win the world cup next year. Their Adidas contract will be up at some stage, and the money they will be able to command as RWC champions vs just the ABs who haven't won the cup for over twenty years, will be huge. The best brand in Rugby wont be quite the quite si marketable with constant WC failure.

I think a South or North American RWC would be great in 2015. May have to play games in Soccer / NFL grounds, but what a tough place to go on tour for 7 weeks! And aside from Argentina its a pretty foreign part of the world for all the Tier nations. What a great performance leveller.

<div class='quotemain'>
will the 2015 tournament definatly take place in the NH?

and good news (for me) is that we should find out in the next few weeks if event Scotland are going to suggest the SRU bid for it.
[/b]

No disrespect to Scotland, but after the last couples of months, the SRU has had enough trouble with managing Edinburgh, let alone a whole world cup. And besides where are you going to hold all the matches? You would have to co-host with either or a mix of ENG, IRE, WAL or FRA, an then it would not be that different from this years.

Im not complaing that NZ have it in 2011, as I have a chance to go in my home country, but common Rugby purpose suggests Japan should have been the front runner. Its pretty fair comment that the votes are lobbied for (I think rigged is the wrong word) and the New Zealand carry a good advantage there over a tier 2 coutries application. That also feeds into another point with why NZ need to win the world cup next year. Their Adidas contract will be up at some stage, and the money they will be able to command as RWC champions vs just the ABs who haven't won the cup for over twenty years, will be huge. The best brand in Rugby wont be quite the quite si marketable with constant WC failure.

I think a South or North American RWC would be great in 2015. May have to play games in Soccer / NFL grounds, but what a tough place to go on tour for 7 weeks! And aside from Argentina its a pretty foreign part of the world for all the Tier nations. What a great performance leveller.

[/b][/quote]

YBH, i wouldnt trust the SRU with a prit-stick never mind a major international competition - however it would probably be Event Scotland who would be in charge, and generally i think they are quite good.

re: not much different from this year - this is the third time RWC has come to Europe - in 1991 Scotland played 4 pool games, a QF and a SF at murrayfield - the only other game taking place in Cardif. In 1999 Scotland played most of their games at murrayfield, In 2007 Scotland will play 2 pool games at, yep, you guessed it, murrayfield.

Now considering that Scotland has never hosted the tournament, is anyone really that surprised 4 games will be played at the MS this year.

only problem with america is distance between venues could make following your team expensive - all but 2 of the venues in france within about 4 Hrs by train.

Ireland should host it. We'd have the GAA on board by then and with the stadia they have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GAA_S...ums_by_Capacity it'd be fantastic. Add to that the 50,000 seater Lansdowne Rd and the 26,000 Thomond Park we'd have the facilities to host the games. The train's could be fixed up by then and the guest houses would have a field day.

The only thing standing in the way is Irish politics (so it'll never happen) and the lack of support of rugby in Ireland, even though it is growing ever day.

Ireland should host it. We'd have the GAA on board by then and with the stadia they have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GAA_S...ums_by_Capacity it'd be fantastic. Add to that the 50,000 seater Lansdowne Rd and the 26,000 Thomond Park we'd have the facilities to host the games. The train's could be fixed up by then and the guest houses would have a field day.

The only thing standing in the way is Irish politics (so it'll never happen) and the lack of support of rugby in Ireland, even though it is growing ever day. [/b]

Id actually like to see a Celtic tournament - obviously using many of those stadia plus a few like Murrayfield, Parkhead, Millenium ect. but TBH i very much doubt it would happen.

i think the irb missed a big chance with 2011 . they need to expand the sport not keep it in the family new zealand rugby wouldnt suffer without a rwc

Totally agreed. This is just an example of how the IRB intend to make more "match ups" out of WC fixtures. It's not technically fair, although good for the World Cup.

Although if Australia somehow lose, they have an excuse that is legitimate and Wales, sadly don't and won't deserve one. [/b]

:lol:

Sure, we have absolutely no excuse if we lose to Australia.
Because home advantage (when translated to Welsh and then directly back into English) means "certain win".

Latest posts