• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will Lancaster mix it up for Italy?

His lineout's been **** (which we've established is a deeper running problem), but he's been crap in the scrum and he's got feet for hands in the loose play.

Granted he did well in 1 match in December. That however was a long time ago.

Oh come Mite he is better than Hartley in the loose, at the breakdown and in the scrum and lets be honest Hartley didnt shine in the lineout either.

Think if SL is looking for a 2nd row/flanker player he wanted in the France game he should drop Lawes and bring in Croft now he is back fit and we shouldnt treat the Italy game as a run out for the players on the fringes we should go out with our strongest team and really try and put them to the sword.

I don't think I'd want Croft coming back in.
We need another hard hitting/carrying forward in - that's the opposite of Croft's game.
Morgan coming back would be ideal, if not then Haskell back at 6. I'd take Clark (is he injured?) over Croft too.
Shame that Fearns isn't in the EPS, him at 6 would be grand.

I don't think I'd want Croft coming back in.
We need another hard hitting/carrying forward in - that's the opposite of Croft's game.
Morgan coming back would be ideal, if not then Haskell back at 6. I'd take Clark (is he injured?) over Croft too.
Shame that Fearns isn't in the EPS, him at 6 would be grand.

I'd prefer Morgan, but I'd take Croft very happily. He's probably our best loose carrier after Morgan - not going through people, more step and go. He's also quality and should always be played ahead of Hask and Clark when possible.

Agree re: Fearns, really like what he brings. Traditional physical 6.

What's all this talk of Monye? I'm a great fan of him at club level, but he's only rarely performed for England on the international stage. His one game at fullback was a tragedy (supposedly he kept the shirt to remind him just how bad it was...)

If Ashton is being dropped (and please Lord, say that he is), I'd love to see Jonny May/Foden get a look in the match day squad. However, from precedent it seems Lancaster has been fairly conservative so it seems we'll see Strettle back on the wing (still better than Ashton by a country mile)

And I know it's still an unrealistic hope, but what will it take to get Steffon Armitage in the running for a place in our backrow? He outplays just about every 7/8 in the Top 14 week in, week out (with the possible exception of Picamoles et al.). A far more balanced player than Morgan or Haskell and he can still carry just as hard.

Last edited:
Foden? massive fan but that would mean having 3 full backs on the pitch, think you need at least one out and out winger.

As for Armitage if we were really struggling in the back row fine but to be honest Robshaw has been great at 7 and should stay there.Plus Armitage is too fat

Foden? massive fan but that would mean having 3 full backs on the pitch, think you need at least one out and out winger.

As for Armitage if we were really struggling in the back row fine but to be honest Robshaw has been great at 7 and should stay there.Plus Armitage is too fat

As a general rule I'd agree, I just want to see Foden back for a little bit (and Ashton's had such a mediocre contribution recently that I don't see it harming us all too much...)

Armitage is without a doubt one of the best back rows in the top 14. He's definitely a big lad, but he's got pace to burn and frankly anyone who's awarded the best overseas player in a league with Fernandez-Lobbe, van Niekerk etc. is doing something right.

He also plays 8 off the back of the scrum which is (ideally) where he'd play for England. The fact that he can jackal also makes up for the criticism that is very often raised of Robshaw that he's not an out and out fetcher (i.e. that England's playing 2 6.5s without a 7).

Still. It's not gonna happen <_<

As a general rule I'd agree, I just want to see Foden back for a little bit (and Ashton's had such a mediocre contribution recently that I don't see it harming us all too much...)

Armitage is without a doubt one of the best back rows in the top 14. He's definitely a big lad, but he's got pace to burn and frankly anyone who's awarded the best overseas player in a league with Fernandez-Lobbe, van Niekerk etc. is doing something right.

He also plays 8 off the back of the scrum which is (ideally) where he'd play for England. The fact that he can jackal also makes up for the criticism that is very often raised of Robshaw that he's not an out and out fetcher (i.e. that England's playing 2 6.5s without a 7).

And if the last weeks have shown anything it has shown the fitness levels in the top 14 are not really up to international standards. As for the whole jackel/6.5/out and out 7 I am not convinced by it Robshaw is as good an openside as anyone in the NH people only level criticism at Robshaw because they are not prepared to except he is an excellent player.

Put Foden on the pitch and Ashton becomes a much more effective player. That's most of the reason why he's been so poo this season as he's not linking up with his old partner in crime.

So Foden to Sarries next season...

Oh come Mite he is better than Hartley in the loose, at the breakdown and in the scrum and lets be honest Hartley didnt shine in the lineout either.

Agree to disagree. Youngs is like Mears in the loose - His fans will tell you he's on par/better then Brits. The rest see a fat centre with bad hands who can't scrum.

Last edited:

The moment he comes back to play in the Prem (presuming form remains the same) he'll be in the EPS. Its not like English players moving to the Top 14 don't know they're putting any international career they have/might have on hold.

I'm confused - Hartley or Youngs?
Because, really, if we're talking about who's the fatter of the two, and who pops out of the scrum all the time, then that's Hartley...

I don't think SL will make wholesale changes. He'll want to maintain continuity. However I'd personally like to see a few changes for Italy.

1) I don't think Ashton is playing well so I'd like to see someone else being given an opportunity. Probably either May or Wade
2) Morgan back in a No.8 if fit and if not Vulipola
3) Wood back to blindside
4) Care in at SH. I think his game will ideally suit Italy.

If i were picking a replacement for wing it would probably be Wade because if your going to give someone a go then against Italy is a good start. I would also pick Varndell to cary his bags. Both are in great form and loosing both might knacker up Wasps nicely so we can pass them in the league.

I expect Lancaster to pick Foden though and have as many fullbacks on the pitch as possible.

The moment he comes back to play in the Prem (presuming form remains the same) he'll be in the EPS. Its not like English players moving to the Top 14 don't know they're putting any international career they have/might have on hold.

Not too sure about that. Lancaster's publicly acknowledged he could bring him back if he wants to, and talked about the idea in the summer, and then went off it fairly rapidly after that, talking about fitness. Not sure he's Lancaster's type of player.

My goodness...with Parisse out they don't stand a chance.......
won't be anything like last year's, I think this match, this one little match will bring the Rugby world 10 years back alone! - by that I mean will erase any progress Italy's made the past 5yrs and will bring us back to the old beatdown days of this matchup.
Italy have yet to show anything interesting on the road.....EVER ?...

While Flood has been retained by England, Northampton Saints duo Dylan Hartley and Courtney Lawes, who both started against France, will be available for domestic duties. Lancaster has also opted to release Northampton's Lee Dickson and Ben Foden, Bath's David Wilson, Saracens' David Strettle and Joel Tomkins, Leicester's Thomas Waldrom, Wasps' James Haskell and Worcester's Matt Kvesic.
Released players: Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints), Ben Foden (Northampton Saints), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (London Wasps), Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), David Strettle (Saracens), Joel Tomkins (Saracens), David Wilson (Bath Rugby), Thomas Waldrom (Leicester Tigers)

http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/177826.html

Interesting to see who's been released- not sure if it's a matter of just getting some game time for players or could be a sign that at least a few changes are forthcoming.

Would have liked to see Ashton released.

Latest posts