• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will the All Blacks be in the game ?

yea the last rugby challenge had probably the worst gameplay in a sports ***le for the past decade!

I raise you a
927197_69716_front.jpg

...you both realize that rugby challenge 2006 was developed by a ubisoft studio called swordfish, and that game has nothing to do with the two games that are currently in the development process.

Should do. Swordfish used to host TRFs server once upon a time.

Swordfish were involved in the Jonah Lomu Rugby game as well as far as I can recall!

I really hope this doesn't happen, but it's our luck as a rugby video game loving public that RC will have the image rights, and HB will have the player rights, and we'll end up with two games that aren't fully licensed!

Team/Player names are not a problem, neither are commentary names. they have all the rights in the world to have 'McCaw' as a com audio, as Richie McCaw from what i can tell doesn't copyright his surname..

Anyhoo, these games can't be released with the correct info, but it is not illegal at all to let the player edit the game for their own means.. surely.

For me, the main issue would be not being able to mod the graphics/art.

I've always wondered why these games don't have an art uploader, so you can actually add graphics to the game? Fans would buy a new game in droves regardless if someone added DLC for it, because the new game is always the one people look too. You have a great game like NBA 2K9, which is almost perfect, yet fans will flock to buy the next game, just because it's 'new'.

I see some TRF members are there, further encouraging this madness, might as well make two games, one for each hemisphere

I urge the mods to use the ban hammer

So we are exclusively bound to TRF? lols. I think that encouragement of both companies will only result in better games in the future. Sure the league ***les have not been the best but they could easily prove everyone wrong with Rugby Challenge. Rugby 2012 definitely has the better foundation in terms of Rugby ***les and I am still looking forward to their next iteration even though they are leaving out some key features. Hell, I'm going to buy both games when they come out, but in the mean time I see no harm in voicing my opinion in any of the forums. Go the All-Blacks for 2011!!

Team/Player names are not a problem, neither are commentary names. they have all the rights in the world to have 'McCaw' as a com audio, as Richie McCaw from what i can tell doesn't copyright his surname..

Anyhoo, these games can't be released with the correct info, but it is not illegal at all to let the player edit the game for their own means.. surely.

For me, the main issue would be not being able to mod the graphics/art.

Yeah, I've thought of that too. It would be easy to have the Wallabies in the game if you would write it with a single l. no copyright infringement there... and it's hardly noticeable. Like drawing the silver fern with fewer rows of leafs. :)

Well, they can use the country name, that is the official terminlogy, and that is not copyright. Nicknames, trademarks are copyright. They could include all the licensed com names, but not assign them, so in the actual game, you can go to player edit and edit each player for their com name. Likenesses is an issue, so you may have an unworkable problem there.

My actual point is as long as the game isn't released configured 'licensed', it will be fine, as long as you can amend after you buy.. like the text values of stadiums, player names, com names, and team/competition names. They can use the competition formats, that is not a direct copyright as far as i can tell.

The main issue is likenesses of stadiums, faces, trademarks etc. I just don't see why the licences have to be given to a sole developer, in theory, they could make a big ****-up, and it's got your license all over it.

Much better to have any developer able to buy the licences for a reasonable fee, and the be used in different games. The public would then sort the rest. The best part is, that the trademarks/copyright would fetch twice/triple value for the owner.

yea the last rugby challenge had probably the worst gameplay in a sports ***le for the past decade!

Rugby Challenge for console and PC is a new ***le in development by Wellington based games developer Sidhe and published by Sydney based Home Entertainment Suppliers (HES) under their Tru Blu Games label. The rugby union based ***le seeks to capture the attention of a growing number of rugby fans around the world.

Rugby Challenge will include the All Blacks, Wallabies, ITM Cup, and Super Rugby amongst other licensed teams and competitions, and will feature multiplayer online play, a multi-year franchise mode, extensive customisation options, and dynamic real-time commentary. More features, content, platforms and details will be announced in the future.

They also got some screen shots up already and damn they awesome to see,come on HB studio i think you need to show us some screen shots too.

I know if we don't see some images soon of the game, they've lost in the presentation department. Fact is, HB needed the licensing rights, games with licenses just sell more and with a competing game with licenses, it's not looking too good for HB.

I know if we don't see some images soon of the game, they've lost in the presentation department. Fact is, HB needed the licensing rights, games with licenses just sell more and with a competing game with licenses, it's not looking too good for HB.

I've heard nothing about licencing secured for the Six Nations teams and players, Heineken Cup, B&I Lions, Aviva Premiership, Top 14, Magners League etc, so I think perhaps some of the people, whom are dismissing HB studios chances of securing decent licencing, need to think a bit more about what little information they have. I also don't understand what expertise knowlege most of the posters here have, on marketing a rugby game. HB would do well to releaces the information, when they feel they have got the product they're after. No point in hyping up a rugby game 10 months before its release, for it to not live up the the expectations (not saying that will happen with Rugby Challange). Some of the best games have been released, with he cards being held very close to the companies chest.

I've heard nothing about licencing secured for the Six Nations teams and players, Heineken Cup, B&I Lions, Aviva Premiership, Top 14, Magners League etc, so I think perhaps some of the people, whom are dismissing HB studios chances of securing decent licencing, need to think a bit more about what little information they have. I also don't understand what expertise knowlege most of the posters here have, on marketing a rugby game. HB would do well to releaces the information, when they feel they have got the product they're after. No point in hyping up a rugby game 10 months before its release, for it to not live up the the expectations (not saying that will happen with Rugby Challange). Some of the best games have been released, with he cards being held very close to the companies chest.

What's the point of withholding information about licensing unless you don't have it. I never said they would not get the licensing rights. I guess I'm interested in just the SH teams.
Your best game argument can be true. But look at the call of duty series; the amount of games sold, and the amount of marketing done.

Maybe HB haven't secured any licensing rights yet, or finalised the deals etc and therefore Sidhe's statement of "exclusive" All Black licensing rights is correct at the moment and may change in the future. Just a thought.

sidhe have Jonah Lomu working with them on this game, im sure he would be able to sway a few teams around the world to jump on this new rugby game band wagon.
i just hope sidhe gameplay is on par with HB studio and playing there league games they made, the buttons were to complex compared to rugby08

Last edited:
i just hope that rugby 2012 will have AB because they are a quality team

Maybe HB haven't secured any licensing rights yet, or finalised the deals etc and therefore Sidhe's statement of "exclusive" All Black licensing rights is correct at the moment and may change in the future. Just a thought.

If I was a party member involved, I wouldn't want Sidhe stating the deal was "exclusive", therefore making other developers/investments look elsewhere.
Anyway, I would have thought HB's experience in Rugby Union games would have made them more ideal. We always have the next game.

Ok Mario has replied in another thread that they do indeed have full exclusive rights to the All Blacks and all the other NZ teams appearing in their game.

Looks like when playing as "New Zealand" in Rugby 2012 we'll be steering Charter and McCrow around the paddock.

Ok Mario has replied in another thread that they do indeed have full exclusive rights to the All Blacks and all the other NZ teams appearing in their game.

Looks like when playing as "New Zealand" in Rugby 2012 we'll be steering Charter and McCrow around the paddock.

Until he says they have the exclusive World Cup lisence - Which is a whole new kettle of fish - I would take that with a pinch of salt for now.

Besides, by the looks of what he's said, so far you'll be playing against Walkinson, O'Drascoll, Steeen & Walliams.

Ya, there are so many loop-holes when it comes to licensing anything. I am not to worried, becuase bullitt said it right - "Until he says they have the exclusive World Cup lisence" - it means that HB could get world cup rights, which would allow them to have the AB in the game with out breaking any rules that Sidhe have.

Latest posts