• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Breakfast Club

What is essential for a rugby-watching breakfast?

• Total voters
Well my first World Cup breakfast is a little different to what I'd imagined when this thread first went up... got up around 7am and had 3 leftover enchiladas from last night and just about to have the carbonara micro meal I would've taken to work today... if I'd have been bothered to go :cool:.

Well my first World Cup breakfast is a little different to what I'd imagined when this thread first went up... got up around 7am and had 3 leftover enchiladas from last night and just about to have the carbonara micro meal I would've taken to work today... if I'd have been bothered to go :cool:.

Enchiladas and a Carbonara before 11am :D :D Do you have breakfast in the evening ;) :D

I'm a big fan of dinner for breakfast too, if I like the taste of something I like it any time of day or season.

I think the idea of dedicated "breakfast foods" is actually quite a culturally-specific thing. I'm no expert but a lot of countries just eat the sane things they'd eat at other times of day right?

:D :D

But Carbonara for breakfast?
It's the microwaveable part I'm more upset about, carbonara is a pretty simple one to prepare, there's really no excuse.

FYI the etymology of the name, carbonara, comes from "coal" ("carbon") because it was traditionally eaten by coal miners. The Welsh also have a long association with coal mining. There's a joke in there, if I could just be bothered to put the pieces together

Did it have cream in it?

It's the microwaveable part I'm more upset about, carbonara is a pretty simple one to prepare, there's really no excuse.

FYI the etymology of the name, carbonara, comes from "coal" ("carbon") because it was traditionally eaten by coal miners. The Welsh also have a long association with coal mining. There's a joke in there, if I could just be bothered to put the pieces together

What Italian meal do you get when you mix a Welshman's fossil fuel and 'a girl is no one'?

Carbon-Arya :)

Thanks, learnt something new innit.

I reckon, fresh pasta (From a pack), whisk eggs, cook pancetta, grate hard cheese. 10 mins, done!

Microwave in 5 mins, 5 mins to rest so you don't burn your mouth. 10 mins. Less washing up tho ;)

ps - NO CREAM

Yeah, I think all Carbonara's are creamy though right? It was the M&S healthy one... very nice too.
I didn't watch the vid but I am assuming it refers to the fact that a "traditional" carbonara doesn't use cream, that's a foreign addition.

I personally think "authenticity" in food is given more importance than it deserves though. Have you ever had a bolognese in Bologna? It's really only superficially similar to the bastardised English version we call bolognese ... "authentic" bolognese is nice, but it's really nothing very special, frankly, our version is much better as far as I'm concerned.

...fresh pasta...

I also prefer dried pasta, I might just be a philistine to be fair!

Yeah, I think all Carbonara's are creamy though right? It was the M&S healthy one... very nice too.

The creaminess of real carbonara comes from the mixture of the egg and pecorino cheese. I suspect the M&S one will have added cream(??) Seriously, try and make the real thing and you'll never go back to the ready-made meal of it. So simple to make as well - if you can't get hold of the guanciale from an Italian butchers, substitute for pancetta or bacon. The pecorino cheese is available in all good supermarkets. Now gonna go make it myself.:).

if you can't get hold of the guanciale from an Italian butchers, substitute for pancetta or bacon
If you do get hold of guanciale, buy double and do an amatriciana the next day

@The_Blindside I don't know where you live but you don't know where to get guanciale in London by any chance do you?

Latest posts