• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Kits, Shirts, Jersey...

south africas is hideous [/b]
I imagine that Ireland, Australia, and Scotland will be similar. Not too bad. I'm not crazy about the piping in the mid section, but not bad, really.

The South Africa shirt (probable all Canterbury shirts) looks a lot like the old Nike Football World Cup 2002 shirts. Got a mate in Oz who says he seen the Australia shirt on tv and is exactly the same as SA but opposite colours with gold and green piping, and the usual stars.

not everly keen if that turns out same as scotland shirt (shure you can all work out the colours) - but it could be wrose, we could have one of the nike shirts!

perhaps the biggest disapointment is we will loose the TFG sponsorship! i cant imagine a scotland shirt without that!

I didn't like the South African shirt when I first saw it either, but I think it might be one that grows on you... I'm starting to like it more already, but I agree with O'Roth, what is that piping on the mid section doing there??

I hate the England World Cup shirts. They are terrible.

Wallabies_RWC_2007_jersey_small.jpg

THE Wallabies are to rattle rugby traditionalists by wearing a radical World Cup jersey with "spiderweb" grip panels.
Today's sneak peek at the new jersey, which will also carry the ultimate reminder of the All Blacks' second-best record shows a major departure from the classic bold gold look that Australia has worn into battle at five World Cups since 1987.

The right sleeve is adorned with a mini-Webb Ellis Cup and the years of Australia's two tournament triumphs, 1991 and 1999.

If the Wallabies make it to this year's World Cup semi-finals in Paris, those twin trophies will be in the eyeline of the All Blacks, their likely rivals and winners just once in 1987.

The cup count is a rugby twist on the fashion of giants in soccer. The England soccer team wears a single star to commemorate the 1966 World Cup success while Liverpool players wear five stars on their famed red jersey in European competition to honour the club's five European Cups.

But it is the tricked-up look of the new creation from suppliers Canterbury that will have tongues wagging among former Wallabies and fans.

There is more green piping on the jersey than ever before, a rounded soccer-style collar and the Southern Cross has been shifted to the left sleeve because the World Cup logo dominates the right breast.

The white web panel across the chest aids grip of the ball while the web across the shoulders is a "one percenter" to limit slipping when the scrum binds.

Three adidas stripes, from neck to cuff, was the minimalist trimmings to the gold jersey that former Wallaby skipper David Codey wore at the 1987 World Cup.

Codey thought the new design had gone too far. "Simplicity is best in my eyes. Have the All Blacks changed their jersey recently or ever?" Codey said.

The modern look to the 2007 jumper should drive healthy commercial sales.

Whatever scorn it draws will never match the thumbs-down reaction of 1997-98 when manufacturer Reebok messed with the jersey of John Eales's teams.

That jersey, with its green and white jigsaw panels, was variously lampooned as a "girl's blouse" or an "SBS test pattern."

[/b]

Whats with the bra-like grip panels? :huh: .... apart from that it's not too bad, could be worse...

Why can't the f***ing All Blacks get stupid little thin lines all over theirs aswell?

So is this just for the world cup or will they be using them afterwards aswell?

That ribbing over it is not really nice, still it's not as ugly as the English shirts. Don't think many boepens (beergut) boers would be too pleased with that ribbing restricting their flow....

I was going to get one but not too sure now, it will only be cool after the RWC if they win

They could've done without those collars as well.

The SA one is okay, just glad the Boks ditched the Nike ones from the last WC. The England jerseys are hideous.

I just hope it's not too late to change the colour of the mesh to gold, there's an aweful lot of it.

0,,5536334,00.jpg

0,,5536337,00.jpg

0,,5536340,00.jpg

I actually don't mind the Aussie and bok ones as much as I did in the begining... sorta growing on me. But yeah, England's is shocking! Their current one is tonnes better.

The jersey is already in stores... [/b]
The gripping is not on them, thank god.

Does anyone know if the grip on the back of the wallabies jersey will be for the whole team or just the forwards? It's a bit pointless for the backs isn't it?

I feel sorry for Adidas.
They spend millions upon millions getting the All Blacks franchise and having no other name on the jersey but theirs and then when it comes to the shirt-designing time the bloody All Blacks won't let them do anything with the jersey. Black sells - yes, but it also sells if it's got some white panels on it or something.

But South Africa have got a cracking kit. I saw that quite a few months ago and i really liked it back then, only i'm not too keen on the ozzie ones.
And i applaud England and France for allowing Nike to take their jerseys in what is quite a different direction. It's a nice breath of fresh air and the jerseys are smart.
They've clearly got on their financial thinking caps.

I feel sorry for Adidas.
They spend millions upon millions getting the All Blacks franchise and having no other name on the jersey but theirs and then when it comes to the shirt-designing time the bloody All Blacks won't let them do anything with the jersey. Black sells - yes, but it also sells if it's got some white panels on it or something.

But South Africa have got a cracking kit. I saw that quite a few months ago and i really liked it back then, only i'm not too keen on the ozzie ones.
And i applaud England and France for allowing Nike to take their jerseys in what is quite a different direction. It's a nice breath of fresh air and the jerseys are smart.
They've clearly got on their financial thinking caps.
[/b]

You really think so? The France colour scheme suits that design well, but on England it looks terrible...

I think the boks looks the best of the canterbury ones, but the Aus one would look just as good if they'd made the mesh gold. As it stands the Aus one sorta looks like our soccer one now though, but more high tech, and I actually sorta like it.

The ABs is a classy classic, and the fact that it always remains simplistic with the ABs logo on one side and the Adidas one on the other makes it the most instantly destinguishable uniform in any sport IMO. If you started putting lines through it and messing it around you'd pretty much destroy the whole "All Black" brand...

But if you look closely at the new RWC jersey off the AB-Addidas shop site you'll see that they are still trying to make it more definable in subtle ways:

1351lrg.jpg

Yeah, you've got a point about its simplistic, trademark look - but i was talking to the Adidas rep in my shop the other day and he was saying that the desingers were itching to do something a little different with the jerseys. Initial ideas was to have that fern in a different colour than black, but the All Blacks refused any other colour on it.
It's just my personal opinion, but i'd like to see a change in the AB's jersey (not a huge one) because i geniunely believe they'll get more sales from it also. For everyone who's got an AB's jersey, now they'll get the new one with the additional colour or whatever.
I just know that the only reason people come into the shop and buy new AB jersey is because their old one has gone to look too faded.
The AB's could be get annual customers in this country if they changed their kits enough.

Yeah, I see what you're saying with regards to marketing, but the problem remains that they are called the "All Blacks"... because that's what they are... It would just never work. I personally like the fact that they pretty much the only constant in world rugby (in more ways than one).

and anyway they do sort of cater to marketing need anyway by changing the designs of their training jerseys and tracksuits etc.

Latest posts