World Cup - Pool A

ncurd

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Okay so we all know this is going to be a pretty bruising group with three of the top 6 teams in the world in group and only two spots coming out of it.

I've been looking at the schedule the past few days and because of the 5 team groups some teams have to play mid-week games.

England by virtue of being tournament organisers get away scot-free on this front and you can't really blame them.

Australia get a 4 day gap between Fiji and Uruguay but get proper time off before their England and Wales matches.

Wales on the other hand have their encounter with the English which will certainly take it out of them and a few player carrying injuries and ****le followed by Fiji 4 days later. They get a good break by the Australia game.

Now the prevailing (and admittedly possibly wrong opinion) seams to be Australia and England will qualify from the group. My question is this what is likelihood of Wales slipping up against Fiji due the close proximity of the game to the England match and face the prospect of not automatically qualifying for the world cup in 2019? Sounds like madness I know but they did screw up against Fiji 8 years ago (different players, coach and all that) however they aren't a terrible side by any means(one-dimensional boring yes but they are still by all accounts a good side that wins rugby matches).

I'm not suggesting this will actually happen Wales are perfectly capable on their day in topping the group but it is a prospect that could happen.

If the Haskell rumours are true, about them focusing purely on conditioning, then it may be they come out the blocks firing, which could cause some upset. I'm a little concerned.

Equally, if they don't up their game, I think they proved in the AIs that they can't afford to send out a 2nd team against Fiji, who'll have had more time together than usual.

TBH, if they'd spent all of the autumn getting fitness work in then you'd expect it to be showing now - I haven't seen anything to suggest they are notably fit.

You wouldn't if they're being beasted in training again.

I don't think the schedule will matter too much. England will top their group with Australia second. Wales aren't as good as them, and have proved it consistently over the past couple of years. I don't think Fiji will trouble them however, Gatland should have his side in good enough shape to deal with them.

I don't think the schedule will matter too much. England will top their group with Australia second. Wales aren't as good as them, and have proved it consistently over the past couple of years. I don't think Fiji will trouble them however, Gatland should have his side in good enough shape to deal with them.

i'm not convinced England will top the group, but I think they will progress.

Would be an absolute disaster if we don't.

I couldn't even begin to imagine the media ****storm if we got knocked out in the pool stages...

Look at the football world cup last year I'd imagine something akin to that. Unlike the Football team we're considered contenders for whole damn thing and it's in our own back yard. So whilst in terms of followers it's bigger deal with football it's almost expected of them, same with Cricket teams general ****ness at the ODI stuff.

A team doing poorly in their own tournament expected to do well? Yeah it's gonna be hell.

Doubt it will happen though can't see England slipping up that badly.

If Fiji find a decent fly half there back line could trouble anyone.

Going to be a tough group this one. One I am looking forward, most teams can beat each other on the day so that for me makes this group one to watch.

Yeah. I honestly find it hard to call.

The winner could easily go through with a body nose, it could come down to mathematics.

Deffo pool of death

Yeah. I honestly find it hard to call.

The winner could easily go through with a body nose, it could come down to mathematics.

Deffo pool of death

We beat both Wales and Australia recently, with big match experience still to come, players to return, I think we'll top the group.

It is a tough group but our forwards have the beating of Wales and Australia, We can progress for sure but lets hope fans and media don't put too much pressure on the boys at same time.

Think the wobs will top the pool with England coming second, question have any of the tree teams never made it past pool stages?

This Pool and Pool D are the most difficult to call in terms of where the big teams will finish. I think that whoever finishes 2nd in Pool A will unlikely end up overall winners though. Just can't see them then beat SA, then probably NZ after such a hard group.

Topping Pool A becomes all the more vital in the overal picture of the tournament.

Wales: 1991, 1995, 2007

Yea I googled it not long ago Wales don't have a flash record at all when it comes to rwc, England and Australia on the other hand. I wonder if the English will embrace the home advantage or it will be added pressure to win at home. It's possible all three could beat each other does this mean the top two go through on points differential? A loss in the pool stages could be a big dent in confidence for either of the top two to make it out.

Different team I know but when we hosted in '91 we reached the final as an unfancied side.
We did pretty well at the Olympics @ home with the medal haul.
The last time the football team performed at a tournament was Euro '96

To me that's suggests it doesn't put undue pressure on the team and most thrive under it.

But yeah loosing 2nd in Pool A is pretty much a death sentence almost certainly a path of SA, NZ, followed by whomever you lost to in group A, Ireland or France.

I say one thing if the runner up of group A wins the entire thing and they do have to play that gaunlett of top sides nobody can argue whether they are deserved champions or not.

That runners up spot definitely isn't the most appealing...

For some reason, I've got the gut feeling it's going to be a case of each team beating one, but losing to other, and it all coming down to bonus points and points difference...

Fiji of course could throw a spanner in the works...

Have a feeling that of Wales do poorly at this world cup then Gatland will be out.

Latest posts