• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World XI game in texas???

W

woosaah

look here

Aparently there is going ot be a match in the USA with some top Asian players already been annonced. This is scheduled to be played on June 16-19 with 2 45 over matches and one 50 over match. Chris Harris and Nathan Astle are said to be playing as well.

wicked!

How many people are they expecting to go see this? Why play it there and make next to nothing when they can get close to 100k at the MCG? I havn't read the article btw.

Fantastic idea for doing it in Texas. They will fill a stadium there because of the cause. so therefore many people in America will get to see cricket.

Lol, Cricket will never get big in America. Not in a Million Years. You can quote me on that one and if Im wrong Ill stop showering, grow a beard and live in a box for the rest of my life

Originally posted by Ripper@Apr 30 2005, 11:36 AM
Lol, Cricket will never get big in America. Not in a Million Years. You can quote me on that one and if Im wrong Ill stop showering, grow a beard and live in a box for the rest of my life
agreed Ripper.

Sorry gents although I do like your sport and watch ICC Cricket World all the time and buy all the Tests on Payperview I don't think many Americans would share the same interest I do lol
<

well you know what is funny. Cricket and Rugby used to be very popular over here but we grew alienated from the british sporting scene and developed our own games. If only u fellows hadn't been so negative towards the colonies rugby and cricket not baseball and gridiron would be the most popular sports over here. Hell up until the 1930's the US was crushing people at Rugby.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger@May 5 2005, 03:13 AM
well you know what is funny. Cricket and Rugby used to be very popular over here but we grew alienated from the british sporting scene and developed our own games. If only u fellows hadn't been so negative towards the colonies rugby and cricket not baseball and gridiron would be the most popular sports over here. Hell up until the 1930's the US was crushing people at Rugby.
If you meant crushing by winning a few farse ***les at the Olympics, then yes, they were crushing everyone
<

dude Rugby was #1 over here for a veyr long time. Just go look back at the History of rugby in NA and US you will find the early years were very good. WE have invented our own sports over here which broke offf from the rest. The grey Cup which is the trophy for the Canadian Football League used to be the Canadian Rugby Football Union Championship trophy. The CFL was once the CRFU which is now a very proud professional sport league that you see today.

Originally posted by Ripper@May 6 2005, 06:02 PM
and what great things was the Aussie Rugby Team achieving back then?
What exactly does that have to do with what I said?

You were going on about how the USA Rugby Team achieved nothing back then, so I thought it would be intersting to compare it to the Aussie Rugby teams achievements during the same period

The Astrodome? Oh lord. Well, I guess . . . actually, no. I spent 8 years of my early life growing up in Houston. My best friend was a cockroach. He spoke to me because my brain had melted in the hot Texas summer.

Cricket & Houston - that partnership is really hurting my brain. Add to that the Astrodome, one of the biggest sinkholes in the history of sport, and this is a recipe for victory.

I certainly hope it goes well. At least they'll be indoors -- yeah, wait, here comes another one: Cricket under a roof with astroturf.

This is getting better by the minute.

I apologize, I've got nothing to add to this.

brillient, i didn't know it was on artificial turf or indoors lol this will not be good. they will need an artifical pitch to go with that 2 wouldn't they? doubt they could get a decent pitch in for the game. even a portable one wouldn't be worth it as it would cost them 2 much.

i hope it does get off the ground and they actualy show it on sky tv (in new zealand) that would be wicked
<

From what I know, in 2000, the Astro's (Houston's baseball team) moved from there to a new field (open to the elements, I believe) and the Astrodome has just sat there, possibly being used for the occasional rodeo, dirt bike, or circus event. Whichever was in town at the time.

I last went to that stadium in 1997 -- the place has no personality or atmosphere. It is a fundamentally boring structure that zaps any energy you might have. It is the antithesis of what a stadium should be. The seats are miles away from the where they place the playing field (I've seen both American football and baseball there).

But, if cricket is strong in Texas, and they don't want the fans to melt, then I guess it's the right place for it.
<

Plus, they might have vacuumed since I was last there.

yeah i havn't heard anything more about it either. just read an article that chris harris is playing over in england didn't say anything about this match. maybe it was all a lie aye
<

its less than a month away as well now!

Um... What?

it says in the above article that Yonis Khan and Shahid Afridi are playing in these matches.

just a question to people who actually care about cricket... has anyone actully heard the teams? or the result of the first game(june 14 as i think i read it)

weird.

i was looking forward to seeing some kind of footage from it!

Latest posts