TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_47128255_north_wales_rugby_226x170.jpg

The company which managed Rygbi Gogledd Cymru, the north Wales regional rugby team, has gone into liquidation.

The team has been absorbed into the WRU National Academy and continues to play.

"Due to a change in the circumstances of the CIC, the Welsh Rugby Union has taken control of the affairs of the North Wales representative team," said a WRU spokesperson.

A series of major initiatives were announced in August 2009 to develop the game in north Wales.

Parc Eirias in Colwyn Bay was chosen as the side's home and a North Wales Rugby Academy and an innovative plan to introduce Canadian players to the development region's representative team were announced.

Former Wales assistant coach Clive Griffiths was appointed head coach and the team was renamed RGC 1404, the year in which Owain Glyndwr became Prince of Wales.

Rygbi Gogledd Cymru was incorporated as a Cooperative Community Interest Company (CIC) in January 2009 with the aim to protect the organisation for the community of north Wales for perpetuity.

But now the company running Rygbi Gogledd Cymru has gone into liquidation with WRU taking over responsibility of the team.

The insolvency company dealing with the liquidation of RGC, Parkin S Booth, say that the rugby team had debts of around £35,000 when they went into liquidation earlier this week.

The creditors are mainly rugby players who have not received their expenses. The company had one member of staff, coach Clive Griffiths, who is now employed by the WRU.

"The team is currently run under the banner of the WRU North Wales Academy and at the present time, therefore, the team should be referred to as WRU North Wales Academy Senior XV," added the WRU spokesperson.

"The joint venture agreement with Rugby Canada is still fully operational and Clive Griffiths remains as head coach, assisted this season by former Wales prop Chris Horsman."

In a statement Rygbi Gogledd Cymru said that the venture had a significant impact on the development of the game in north Wales during its short existence.

"We successfully raised the profile of rugby in a region, which represents half the landmass and a third of the populations of Wales," said the statement.

"Unfortunately, unlike a true catalyst, this activity has consumed RGC-CIC.

"The Board of Directors would like to thank all those that supported us."

The demise of Rygbi Gogledd Cymru is not expected to have an impact on plans and strategy to develop rugby in north Wales.

Work is due to begin on a £6.5m sports and entertainment scheme at Parc Eirias in Colwyn Bay which will be the home of north Wales rugby.

The scheme has received funding form the Welsh Assembly Government and the EU.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9368239.stm

Shame that, but it doesn't sound like it's going to affect things all that much. If the WRU puts the money in they'll be fine. WRU North Wales Academy Senior XV isn't exactly a catchy name though is it?

Shame that, but it doesn't sound like it's going to affect things all that much. If the WRU puts the money in they'll be fine. WRU North Wales Academy Senior XV isn't exactly a catchy name though is it?

Expect that to change, speaking to one of the players, they are still playing but the name RGC 1404 will not exist.

Is the current squad go to be retained for any length of time? What's going to happen to the whole Canadian scheme? I assume it's out the window now?

Lots of uncertainty here.

Is the current squad go to be retained for any length of time? What's going to happen to the whole Canadian scheme? I assume it's out the window now?

Lots of uncertainty here.

The Canadians are staying apparently, all the players are being retained but the only thing that is going is the name of the team.

rgc 1404 is a **** name. 'the year owain glyndwr became prince of wales'. puhleese.

rgc 1404 is a **** name. 'the year owain glyndwr became prince of wales'. puhleese.

Better than the mickey mouse ***le Charles holds ...

And RGC is short for Rugby Gogledd Cymru but then being English you would not understand that yyyeeeeeeee .... Glyndwr has quite a significant history for the North region, again something probably you would again not know or understand about.

Last edited:
Well, I could be wrong, but I believe "Gogledd Cymru" is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

Well, I could be wrong, but I believe "Gogledd Cymru" is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

Its actually North Wales in Welsh!

I lol'd when I found about hte new name.. Imo they should stick to RGC1404 as it has meaning for the area its located, as its for the whole of north wales they cant call it colwyn bay <insert ***le> so North Wales Rugby (translated ofc.) is best

I lol'd when I found about hte new name.. Imo they should stick to RGC1404 as it has meaning for the area its located, as its for the whole of north wales they cant call it colwyn bay <insert ***le> so North Wales Rugby (translated ofc.) is best

Presume as the company has gone bust if they were to call it RGC 1404 again then the debts would be resurrected.

Ah yeah thats a good point, suposidly it was around £35,000.. they could go back to being just RCG well then it wasnt abbreviated and was Rugbi Gogledd Cymru but again that could cause the issue of debts.. I'd just rather something that relates to the region (as in north / mid wales) or a welsh name not WRU NWASXV which is what the new name is abbreviated too right now :/

Latest posts