• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Xbox360 or PS3

I have both consoles – I never use the ps3
I'd get the X360<O:p</O:p
Infact my launch x360 died 2 months ago, out of warranty now, and instead of falling back on the ps3 for gaming, I just went and got another x360<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
The online on ps3 is lame – nobody has headsets, so the social and communication elements are non-existent.<O:p</O:p

I have both consoles – I never use the ps3
I'd get the X360<O:p</O:p
Infact my launch x360 died 2 months ago, out of warranty now, and instead of falling back on the ps3 for gaming, I just went and got another x360<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
The online on ps3 is lame – nobody has headsets, so the social and communication elements are non-existent.<O:p</O:p

You had an Xbox 360 for a fair while earlier than your PS3, so I'd imagine thats a factor in your decision. You'd already likely set up a decent amount of your own community there. I've heard PS3 people say the same when they've gone and bought a 360 later on.

I still love my ps3, on it most days. Adminitadly not for gaming all the time, though if i get a chance ill chuck in a game (normally when there is no1 else at home and I dont have any work to do)

The comunity isnt that bad, If i am playing online say CoD or something and there is someone talking ill make an effort and put my pseye in otherwise i dont bother with it.

Though I played Burnout Paradise the other week online with my mate down south, was great fun even after he left. I would still rather play online with people i know rather than strangers, and since I dont know many with a 360 why would I bother when all my mates have a ps3?

My PS3 is predomantly used for watching TV/Movies on it, and you cant beat blu ray as well!

You had an Xbox 360 for a fair while earlier than your PS3, so I'd imagine thats a factor in your decision. You'd already likely set up a decent amount of your own community there. I've heard PS3 people say the same when they've gone and bought a 360 later on.

when i got my ps3 i was ready to convert forever - after all, i owned a ps1, and ps2 - sony was in my blood, and the x360 was he first M$ i ever owned

but then i loaded up fifa09 on ps3, and i couldnt talk to anyone - bluetooth headset $60 to get talking - then nobody has a headset to talk to me - what a waste, communication fail right there, and that $60 is an annual xbox live fee with headset for free included.

i couldnt set up a community with sony, i was lost in translation, nobody talked, and when they did they were japanese

We played in Ashes 2009 - couldnt talk, and cricket without a bit of banter is just not cricket!

Wipeout HD is a quality game though, ps3 almost worth that game alone, especially online - the game was $30 FFS - BRILLIANT

when i got my ps3 i was ready to convert forever - after all, i owned a ps1, and ps2 - sony was in my blood, and the x360 was he first M$ i ever owned

but then i loaded up fifa09 on ps3, and i couldnt talk to anyone - bluetooth headset $60 to get talking - then nobody has a headset to talk to me - what a waste, communication fail right there, and that $60 is an annual xbox live fee with headset for free included.

i couldnt set up a community with sony, i was lost in translation, nobody talked, and when they did they were japanese

We played in Ashes 2009 - couldnt talk, and cricket without a bit of banter is just not cricket!

The thing with PS3, is that it has been in catch up mode with some things (which is where fair criticism has been levelled at it and the whole Xbox communication thing has begun to level out a lot of over the last 12 months. The number of people with headsets has gone up a lot. It's still not quite on a par to be sure, but not enough for me to spend $70 a year just to be able to connect to 20% more people than I currently can.

Fifa 09 on PS3 was very hard to connect to people. Fifa 11 has improved it massively. I never have those connection issues or problem finding people to chat to anymore. With chatting I prefer to focus on my gameplay anyhow, sometimes it's fine, but other times I'm thinking "Let me just try and concentrate so I can try to beat you".

Ashes 2009 had chat enabled for Xbox 360? Or is that something the Xbox can do without having it be part of a games software?

Couple of things:
PS3 controller for sports games
360 controller for FPS
PS3 XMB > Xbox Dash
All opinion.
Blu-ray is a massive + point..
For Games or watching movies?
1. Games never even fill up the DVDs yet
and
2. Does anyone really notivced the difference when watching HD movies? Really?
PS3 can stream from your PC too and run external HDD's (little longer to set up via Tversity for streaming etc but it works)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/windows-media-player/11/stream-xbox But in raslity, it's even simpler then that; In ther dashboard you go to videos/pictures/music (whichever you're after), select PC on the network and you're away.
PS3 can upgrade to any 2.5" HDD not MS ones only.. [/quote]http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/98774-25-xbox-hard-drive-support
Oh and a web browser on Ps3.. not great but usable and coems with BBC Iplayer link.[/quote]
Xbox has Sky Player. So that's Strictly Come Dancing or ESPN & Sky Sports...[/QUOTE]

Ashes 2009 had chat enabled for Xbox 360? Or is that something the Xbox can do without having it be part of a games software?
The Xbox supports cross-game party chat. IT also doesn't constantly lag-out and disconnect (*coughPSNcough*)

You're being a fanboy while pretending to be balanced.

Yeah i know that saying the XMB > dash etc is my opnion like your opinion is that xbox is better.
As for Blu-ray MGS clocked in at 25GB... alot bigger than a DVD, KZ3 will likely be more with this high res textures.. Also there is a difference.. picture is alot sharper on a bigger screen in HD.
I'm aware MS streaming is easier as they aint gonna make it simple for sony to do as their competitor.. I was just stating that streaming is also a option on PS3.
External drives are a moot point imo, Ps3 can also use em.. and it takes up 1 USB compared to a quick 5-10 min job of unscrweing a few screws and popping in a new HDD saving space and USB ports.
And finally I'm aware of sky player and have used it a fair bit on my 360, I was just stating posatives for the Ps3 to balance the thread out a bit.

All opinion.

You expressed opinions earlier....as though they were fact! :lol:

You're being a fanboy while pretending to be balanced.
Hahahahahahaaa! The next step in the evolution of stand-up comedy is here!

Come on, you haven't been a fanboy in this thread?

"PS3s are overpriced dogshite. Like everything else Sony produces. End of" or something? That's a fair critique?

Also, I note you stated that games don't take up as much space as a dvd as yet? Well, MGS4, which your opinion is already known on (you hate it, as your about to tell me it's all cut-scenes) is more than 9.4gb, coming in at somewhere in the 20gb's region. It may be my only example, but it still applies.

You also stated "Does anyone really notivced the difference when watching HD movies? Really?".

Yep, they sure do. Many Blu Ray's are only slightly better looking DVD's, but Avatar is a sign of things to come and it does all sorts of obscene things to it's dvd version, whatever people think of it's actual story. Likewise the Back To The Future Trilogy. I have bought (like a mug) The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy and it's not as much of a step-up from it's old version, but is still considerably better than the dvd, that also applies to Watchmen and the most recent Indiana Jones movie.

You just need a decent telly if you can't see those differences. Also, I have a bloody good sound system, that makes me absolutely love DTS-HD Master Audio. It's like the step-up from 2 channel sound to 5.1 all over again.

My PSN doesn't lag out or disconnect, but to be fair that's a problem which has really only disappeared this year and has been a slowly disappearing pain in the butt until this year. Since then, with the newer firmware's it's not a problem.

As for the guy who said that you need TVersity to get media from your PC to your PS3, that's not true you can just go straight through your PS3's media server. Just like Xbox. I think the Xbox 360 supports a couple more codecs though.

Wow, Sky Player. I just have SkyTv anyhow. In New Zealand it has two of the 4 major networks supported with TVNZ on Demand and yeah that's pretty damn good. What's XBox got that's like Play TV? That's pretty awesome, turns your PS3 into a HD freeview receiver and a DVR.

I note that the PS3 users on here for the most part state their case without ripping on their opposition's product, which perhaps tells us all a little something about the kind of community you might run into for a conversation on Xbox Live?

Ah yes, but as an owner of both machines (who spent a lot of heard earned on both yet am only a satisfied consumer from one machine), I'm an educated fanboy who CAN say why one is better then the other! ;)

You, sir, are not! :p

Ah yes, but as an owner of both machines (who spent a lot of heard earned on both yet am only a satisfied consumer from one machine), I'm an educated fanboy who CAN say why one is better then the other! ;)

You, sir, are not! :p

My tenant Robin has one, actually both. Killed about 30 hours on it over the last 8 months or so. I like it. Almost as much as my PS3. :)

Damn we debate a lot, I bet if I was over your place I'd have a chair broken over my back as I walked in the door! :p

Ah right last time i streamed on my Ps3 was around 3 years ago.. so must've been in one of the newer firmwares.. i set mine up in march 2007 xD

I note that the PS3 users on here for the most part state their case without ripping on their opposition's product, which perhaps tells us all a little something about the kind of community you might run into for a conversation on Xbox Live?
Harsh.

That's why I use words and phrases like "for the most part", "perhaps" and "maybe" in that sentence. I'm not stating that as fact, but just pondering the possibilities. :D

I do see far too much of people stating that something IS DEFINITELY this or COMPLETELY that. I like to remember we are all mostly stating opinions and not always facts as is sometimes insinuated or even boldly shouted. :)

That's why I use words and phrases like "for the most part", "perhaps" and "maybe" in that sentence. I'm not stating that as fact, but just pondering the possibilities. :D

I do see far too much of people stating that something IS DEFINITELY this or COMPLETELY that. I like to remember we are all mostly stating opinions and not always facts as is sometimes insinuated or even boldly shouted. :)
I know what you mean.
Paying for online is crap.
I try to avoid getting dragged into all the ***-for-tat that goes on around here, and the odd slip is excusable, but I'm not liking the increase in condescension.

I know what you mean.

I try to avoid getting dragged into all the ***-for-tat that goes on around here, and the odd slip is excusable, but I'm not liking the increase in condescension.

Increase in condescension? Not sure if you mean me, or if you mean the forum in general or the thread? That wasn't too clear sorry. :)

If it's me, I've changed how I react to people on here a little lately. I'm noticing those starting arguments or running down someone else's interests, teams, nations, hobbies or stating things as fact that clearly are opinion, are not really being contested on their viewpoint. I'd like to think that the person who initiates a negativity is the one responsible for the development of the situation. :)

As for that statement "Paying for online is crap". It was something I said on Page 2 of this thread and if we bring up the start of threads after they've already been there to be discussed then it can make threads very repetitious, still there's no rule against it, lol. :D

I've typed a lot in this thread and tried to not run down the Xbox 360 and I'm sure what little has been said in even a somewhat negative light about the 360 is more than out-weighed by 5-10 times as much by negative comments about the PS3. This thread is about two opposing products and peoples opposing views on them, so it's bound to get a bit driven by conflict of opinion at times.

As for saying "Paying for online is crap", that doesn't actually run down the Xbox 360. The machine itself is a very fine console, if the roles were reversed you could bet anything that I'd be still saying "Paying for online is crap". Both companies were and are into this online thing for the long haul and are starting to make a huge amount out of downloads from their respective online stores, but that isn't enough and with "Playstation Plus" Sony are starting to try and find ways to dip into the pockets too. I haven't bought into that, because I just don't myself like paying for an online service that your paying for no matter how often you use it. That goes for both consoles.

Latest posts