• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Best Sporting Moment of the Decade.

After all the build up, Conor McGregor sparking Jose Aldo after 13 seconds was a special moment. To do so in what was then the biggest MMA fight of all time helped take the sport to another level. Just a shame that McGregor has shown himself up since it then.

The goal line stand by Leinster to win the game against Clermont in the 2012 European Cup semi final was my favourite rugby moment. It's when they stamped themselves as a great club team.

Is it a function of getting old that things seem like they only just happened? I was amazed that nobody had mentioned Usain Bolt's 9.58s until I checked and found that it was more than 10 years ago!

A personal one, but my main moment:

Cornwall 18–13 Lancashire, 2015. The first County Championship win for 16 years, avenging previous final defeats to Lancashire, including the two years before. Made all the more emotional as my brother-in-law had been losing captain for the past two years and because I was watching the match with a friend who missed a kick to win the final for Cornwall against Lancashire in 1969, back when it was the pinacle of English rugby. I rushed outside on the final whistle on the pretence of having a smoke to compose myself, only to find a number of equally proud, equally soppy Cornishmen doing the same thing.

The only other two that come to mind:

Eddie Hall winning WSM. Not that I'm a particular fan of his and it must be said that the planets aligned for him with the events in the final, but his reaction when he won made it so clear what it meant to him and how much he had sacrificed to win it that you'd need a heart of stone to not be chuffed for him.

England vs New Zealand semi final win. In the cold light of day, still one of, if not the best performances I've seen England turn in, at the sharp end of the World Cup and the first WC win against New Zealand. Made all the more intense by the scoreboard not really reflecting England's dominance, keeping me on the edge of my seat for the majority of the match.

I'm surprised none of our South African bretheren have stopped by to mention Wayde van Niekerk's world record in Rio. Given my lack of allegiance, I can't say that it's something that I'll be telling any grandchildren about, but it's certainly my favourite athletics memory of the last ten years given the man whose record he broke.

This one was a personal favourite of mine as a Federer fan:); prefer to remember this than the two match points he held and blew at Wimbledon this year.:oops:.

A rugby one. Special for Kiwis as they became the only nation so far to defend a World Cup. McCaw, Carter, Nonu and Conrad's last ever game for the ABs. Just remember it being a beautiful day on Halloween and 5 tries in a final. I was very lucky to be there as well and had any of the home nations made the final, I doubt I would have got the ticket.

@The_Blindside completely forgot about Germany absolutely demolishing Brazil in Brazil... that was pretty amazing to be fair and I can't believe that it would've ever slipped my mind.

For me, as far as rugby is concerned I loved the tied series between the Lions and New Zealand. It is by far my favourite Lions tour since 1997 ('maybe' it's equal) and on a personal note will be the abiding memory of my now deceased father-in-law, who was already very ill at the time... but wanted more than anything to come around ours for breakfast, a beer and all three test-matches. The Lions will always be very special to my missus for those last great memories with her dad. On the sporting side, well absolutely no one gave the Lions a chance, particularly with the lack of preparation etc. but by hook or by crook (& some outstanding rugby along the way) the Lions didn't lose a series out there for only the second time ever.

Non-rugby, probably Robbie Lawler returning to the UFC after leaving the organisation many years before and not going all that well while away. Then on his return looking like the fighter everyone originally thought he was going to eventually be on his way to the ***le, culminating in 'that' fight versus Rory MacDonald.

Lawler-McDonald 2 is the best fight in combat sports history across any discipline, and I can't be convinced otherwise

Lawler-McDonald 2 is the best fight in combat sports history across any discipline, and I can't be convinced otherwise
Hard to argue with, Diaz vs McGregor 2 was pretty special too.

I'm with Which Tyler, London 2012 for me. Holds very special memories from being a volunteer and spending 3 weeks working in the Olympic Park.

Honourable mentions that haven't been mentioned.

Cricket: Stokes at Headingley - Its one of the all time great test knocks there's a reason why he was SPOTY

Running: Eliud Kipchoge breaking the 2 hour barrier there are caveats to how he went about it but most of it is people trying to throw shade.

Super Saturday 2012 what a day lucky enough to be in stadium that night.

Super Saturday 2012 what a day lucky enough to be in stadium that night.

one of my mates was as well on a free corporate ticket - free drinks and grub. He also said there were idiots in the corporate seating area who didn't turn up.:mad:.

one of my mates was as well on a free corporate ticket - free drinks and grub. He also said there were idiots in the corporate seating area who didn't turn up.:mad:.
Thats ummm complicated and was actually a problem throughout the Olympics eventually they started using us volunteers as seat fillers although that should of been done from the start.

A friend of mine was one of the contract lawyers for G4S between themselves and LOCOG. After the scandal broke that G4S couldn't recruit enough people that the armed forces had to bought in he got heavily bogged down in all that. In addition due to the scandal anyone in G4S who had corporate tickets were told they couldn't use them because if the media got wind after the balls up it would be huge amounts of bad press.

February 6, 2011 - Green Bay Packers defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 35-21, in Super Bowl XLV in front of 103,219 fans at Arlington, Texas.

166px-Super_Bowl_XLV_Logo.png
173px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png

Last edited:
Kolbe's try was amazing. Leaving our exhausted boys in his wake. Glad that it was a little guy who won it with speed. Still room in the game for a small, fast wingers in Kolbe, as it was NMS in 2015 and Billy Whizz in 2003.

Latest posts