Your Clubs Best Possible XV Ever.

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
I haven't made a XV thread in what must be years - but I'm interested to know what you feel your clubs best possible XV would be. I'll start with the Hurricanes -
1. Mark Allen
2. Norm Hewitt
3. Ben Franks
4. Dion Waller
5. Jason Eaton
6. Jerry Collins
7. Chris Masoe
8. Rodney So'oialo
9. Piri Weepu
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Tana Umaga (c)
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Christian Cullen

16. Andrew Hore
17. Neemia Tialata
18. Inoki Afeaki
19. Victor Vito
20. Jon Preston
21. Ma'a Nonu
22. Hosea Gear

Last edited:
This is fun. Let's give this a try!

1. Ollie le Roux
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Mark Andrews
5. Johann Muller
6. Jacques Botes
7. AJ Venter
8. Gary Teichmann
9. Ruan Pienaar
10.Joel Stransky
11.JP Pietersen
12.Andre Snyman
13.Stefan Terblanche
14.Andre Joubert
15.Gavin Lawless

16.John Smit
17.Tendai Mtawarira
18.Johan Ackermann
19.Ryan Kankowski
20.Patrick Lambie
21.James Small
22.Percy Montgomery

Mine's a bit biased towards the later years:

Chiefs 22

1 Michael Collins
2 Tom Willis
3 Ben Afeaki
4 Ian Jones
5 Keith Robinson
6 Jono Gibbes
7 Marty Holah
8 Liam Messam
9 Byron Kelleher
10 Aaron Cruden
11 Siti Sivivatu
12 Sonny Bill Williamss
13 Richard Kahui
14 Roger Randle
15 Bruce Reihana
16 Mo Schwalger
17 Simms Davison
18 Brodie Retalick
19 Sione Lauaki
20 Brendon Leonard
21 David Hill
22 Mils Muliaina

Close but no cigar: Stephen Donald (could've had him and Hill as the five eighths), Regan King (though he didn't play his best rugby until he left the country), Sosene Anesi, Stephen Bates, Jonah Lomu (wouldn't feel right picking him, also didn't play his best when with the Chiefs).

Cruden over Donald due to his partnership with SBW, Lauaku when on form, and Leonard from 2007/8 as an impact player.

I haven't made a XV thread in what must be years - but I'm interested to know what you feel your clubs best possible XV would be. I'll start with the Hurricanes -
1. Mark Allen
2. Norm Hewitt
3. Ben Franks
4. Dion Waller
5. Jason Eaton
6. Jerry Collins
7. Chris Masoe
8. Rodney So'oialo
9. Piri Weepu
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Tana Umaga (c)
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Christian Cullen

16. Andrew Hore
17. Neemia Tialata
18. Inoki Afeaki
19. Victor Vito
20. Jon Preston
21. Ma'a Nonu
22. Doug Howlett

Fa'atau was quality for the Canes. Leading try scorer one season in the Super 14 and was a great finisher, I remember him burning up the Blues backline with players such as Rokocoko to score a tremendous try a few years ago (http://youtu.be/S2h6IgYV_EE?t=42s). Surely he would be a better call than Howlett who played hardly any games for the Hurricanes or Cory Jane who hardly ever played wing.

Also Aaron Cruden also didn't produce his best at the Hurricanes, missed far too many kicks, Holwell or possibly Gopperth probably had more overall contribution. In my opinion Tialata would be still probably ahead of Franks who hasn't even had a season yet, Hore ahead of Hewitt in my opinion. Also no Filo Tiatia even on the bench?

Fa'atau was quality for the Canes. Leading try scorer one season in the Super 14 and was a great finisher, I remember him burning up the Blues backline with players such as Rokocoko to score a tremendous try a few years ago (http://youtu.be/S2h6IgYV_EE?t=42s). Surely he would be a better call than Howlett who played hardly any games for the Hurricanes or Cory Jane who hardly ever played wing.

Also Aaron Cruden also didn't produce his best at the Hurricanes, missed far too many kicks, Holwell or possibly Gopperth probably had more overall contribution. In my opinion Tialata would be still probably ahead of Franks who hasn't even had a season yet, Hore ahead of Hewitt in my opinion. Also no Filo Tiatia even on the bench?

It depends if I'm basing it off on form for the Hurricanes - or the best possible team the Hurricanes could produce of players they have had. I'd agree Fa'atau deserves to be there over Howlett if I base it on the latter, though I'd take Hosea Gear over Fa'atau (and I was a big Fa'atau fan). I'd take Jane as a winger because he's probably the worlds best right wing..

Actually decided I can't pick Howlett on five matches...but I'm sticking with Franks.

Never rated Holwell especially. Was a very long lasting servent to the Canes, but I'd happily take Cruden and Barrett over him. Gopperth was very inconsistent. I'm not talking about overall contribution to the club - just which players I'd pick. I wouldn't pick Neemia Tialata over Franks based on my previous criteria - Tialata was a fairly good scrummager but hits rucks like a kitten with haemophilia. Hore/Hewitt is close but I prefer Hewitt. No Tiatia even on the bench - I prefer all the looseforwards I have - not that I didn't like Tiatia. Stephen Bachop was probably least lucky.

Last edited:
Tough 1:
1. Clohessy
2. Wood
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell
6. Williams
7. Wallace
8. Foley
9. Stringer
10. O'Gara
11. Horgan (always tried and its never a strong point)
12. Halstead
13. Mullins (Tipoki looses by flip of coin)
14. Howlett
15. Payne

16. Flannery
17. Horan
18. Freddie P. (Always saved us off bench)
19. Langford
20. Quinlan
21. Murray
22. Warwick
23. Zebo ( again doin well and backs is poor area for us)

Tough 1:
1. Clohessy
2. Wood
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell
6. Williams
7. Wallace
8. Foley
9. Stringer
10. O'Gara
11. Horgan (always tried and its never a strong point)
12. Halstead
13. Mullins (Tipoki looses by flip of coin)
14. Howlett
15. Payne

16. Flannery
17. Horan
18. Freddie P. (Always saved us off bench)
19. Langford
20. Quinlan
21. Murray
22. Warwick
23. Zebo ( again doin well and backs is poor area for us)

No arguments there apart from Tipoki ahead of Mullins and Zebo ahead of Horgan. In fact I would probably have John Kelly ahead of Horgan as well tbh.

It depends if I'm basing it off on form for the Hurricanes - or the best possible team the Hurricanes could produce of players they have had. I'd agree Fa'atau deserves to be there over Howlett if I base it on the latter, though I'd take Hosea Gear over Fa'atau (and I was a big Fa'atau fan). I'd take Jane as a winger because he's probably the worlds best right wing..

Actually decided I can't pick Howlett on five matches...but I'm sticking with Franks.

Never rated Holwell especially. Was a very long lasting servent to the Canes, but I'd happily take Cruden and Barrett over him. Gopperth was very inconsistent. I'm not talking about overall contribution to the club - just which players I'd pick. I wouldn't pick Neemia Tialata over Franks based on my previous criteria - Tialata was a fairly good scrummager but hits rucks like a kitten with haemophilia. Hore/Hewitt is close but I prefer Hewitt. No Tiatia even on the bench - I prefer all the looseforwards I have - not that I didn't like Tiatia. Stephen Bachop was probably least lucky.

Yes, Tialata was held back by having a Lauaki-like attitude. He could have been much better than stuck out doing rubbish at Bayonne at the minute, where he is very unfit and hardly lasts long into matches before his scrummaging drops and needs to be subbed off.

Holwell did a job for the Canes, but others are better just with Holwell gaining marks for longer service. Forgot Bachop played for the Hurricanes, he was probably the best fly half out of the lot (was immense when Samoa beat Wales in 1999 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHDeDantYss).

I would have Tiatia ahead of Vito, but then I guess I may be being influenced by the fact he was a legend with the Ospreys. Hurricanes have several quality back rowers.

Last edited:
Tough one! I'm probably forgetting a load of players (I had to go back and add in Robbo, for example :lol:) but off the top of my head:
This is presuming everyone on top form (e.g. I wouldn't have Chris Jones now, but back in the day he as superb).

1. Faure
2. Bruno
3. Turner
4. Nacho Lobbe
5. Jones
6. JMF Lobbe
7. Seymour
8. Chabal
9. Redpath
10. Hodgson
11. Cueto
12. Baxendell
13. Taylor
14. Hanley
15. Robinson

16. Diamond
17. Lewis-Roberts
18. Schofield
19. Anglesea
20. Peel
21. McAlister
22. Ripol

No arguments there apart from Tipoki ahead of Mullins and Zebo ahead of Horgan. In fact I would probably have John Kelly ahead of Horgan as well tbh.
Kelly was too injury prone for me and Zebo isn't long enough there to yet make all time XV

Also Tipoki played at 12 with 13 on his back which influenced me but either or they were both deserving and it tight

Tough one! I'm probably forgetting a load of players (I had to go back and add in Robbo, for example :lol:) but off the top of my head:
This is presuming everyone on top form (e.g. I wouldn't have Chris Jones now, but back in the day he as superb).

1. Faure
2. Bruno
3. Turner
4. Nacho Lobbe
5. Jones
6. JMF Lobbe
7. Seymour
8. Chabal
9. Redpath
10. Hodgson
11. Cueto
12. Baxendell
13. Taylor
14. Hanley
15. Robinson

16. Diamond
17. Lewis-Roberts
18. Schofield
19. Anglesea
20. Peel
21. McAlister
22. Ripol
No Tony Buckley or Sheridan :eek:

1. Faure
2. Bruno
3. Turner
4. Nacho Lobbe
5. Jones
6. JMF Lobbe
7. Seymour
8. Chabal
9. Redpath
10. Hodgson
11. Cueto
12. Baxendell
13. Taylor
14. Hanley
15. Robinson

16. Diamond
17. Lewis-Roberts
18. Schofield
19. Anglesea
20. Peel
21. McAlister
22. Ripol

Schofield was tougher than Chris Jones who I didn't really rate. Schofield used to play nearly every game at one point, and captain the side. Interesting you have left out Sheridan completely (he was injured a lot to be fair) and Jason White completely, especially since White was Premiership player of the year the year Sale won the ***le. No arguments elsewhere apart from McAlister was a level above either the centres, do you remember when Sale won at Clermont (the last team to do in the H Cup)? He was immense that day, Lee Thomas and Graeme Bond also would deserve consideration there.

Probably going to miss quite a few players as this will be biased towards my own supporting experience (late 1990's onwards):

Northampton Saints:

1. Soane Tonga'uiha
2. Steve Thompson
3. Gary Pagel
4. Tim Rodber
5. Olivier Brouzet
6. Andrew Blowers
7. Budge Poutney
8. Pat Lam

9. Matt Dawson
10. Carlos Spencer
11. Ben Cohen
12. John Leslie
13. Allan Bateman
14. Bruce Reihana
15. Nick Beal

16. Tom Smith
17. Freddie Mendez
18. Gary Pearce
19. Mark Connors
20. Wayne Shelford
21. Dickie Jeeps
22. Paul Grayson
23. Ian Hunter

Decided to choose the starting XV based purely on players I had actually seen play. Did have to move Tim Rodber into the second row to accomodate everyone I wanted to. And move Gary Pagel to tight head. Carlos Spencer is in there purely based on his good days.

Also cheated a little with the bench as some players have been selected on reputation rather than my own personal knowledge of them.

Schofield was tougher than Chris Jones who I didn't really rate. Schofield used to play nearly every game at one point, and captain the side. Interesting you have left out Sheridan completely (he was injured a lot to be fair) and Jason White completely, especially since White was Premiership player of the year the year Sale won the ***le. No arguments elsewhere apart from McAlister was a level above either the centres, do you remember when Sale won at Clermont (the last team to do in the H Cup)? He was immense that day, Lee Thomas and Graeme Bond also would deserve consideration there.

As I said, tough to choose - our prem winning season Jones was superb, and worth his weight in gold at the lineout. White is/was great, and to be honest I'd probably have him on the bench over Big Red, thinking about it, but I prefer Schofield at lock and Lobbe/Chabal in the backrow.
Faure was a better loosehead than Sheridan, and ELR is the better bench option covering both sides :p
McAlister was superb at times, completely anonymous at others. Big fan of Thomas too, shame he was injured so much - could make a case for either of them over Jos at 12, and any of the three in the 21 shirt.
Could also make a case for Lund vs Seymour.
Like I said, tough to choose a side, especially in some positions!

Probably going to miss quite a few players as this will be biased towards my own supporting experience (late 1990's onwards):

Northampton Saints:

1. Soane Tonga'uiha
2. Steve Thompson
3. Gary Pagel
4. Tim Rodber
5. Olivier Brouzet
6. Andrew Blowers
7. Budge Poutney
8. Pat Lam

9. Matt Dawson
10. Carlos Spencer
11. Ben Cohen
12. John Leslie
13. Allan Bateman
14. Bruce Reihana
15. Nick Beal

16. Tom Smith
17. Freddie Mendez
18. Gary Pearce
19. Mark Connors
20. Wayne Shelford
21. Dickie Jeeps
22. Paul Grayson
23. Ian Hunter

Decided to choose the starting XV based purely on players I had actually seen play. Did have to move Tim Rodber into the second row to accomodate everyone I wanted to. And move Gary Pagel to tight head. Carlos Spencer is in there purely based on his good days.

Also cheated a little with the bench as some players have been selected on reputation rather than my own personal knowledge of them.
Where did you think Reihana was best? I know he is possibly on wing to accomodate but always thought he played his best stuff from 15

Where did you think Reihana was best? I know he is possibly on wing to accomodate but always thought he played his best stuff from 15

I always like him at fullback as well, but he did score a hell of a lot of tries when he played on the wing for us. To be honest you could swap Reihana and Beal in my team and it would make very little difference - both players were excellent in attack and defense.

It's always amusing doing this or Leinster. Considering that we just went through our greatest ever patch, the team isn't all that dissimilar.

1) Cian Healy
2) Shane Byrne
3) Stan Wright
4) Malcolm O'Kelly
5) Brad Thorn
6) Sean O'Brien
7) Keith Gleeson
8) Jamie Heaslip
9) Eoin Reddan
10) Johnny Sexton
11) Denis Hickie
12) Felipe Contepomi
13) Brian O'Driscoll
14) Shane Horgan
15) Rob Kearney

16) Reggie Corrigan
17) Richardt Strauss
18) Mike Ross
19) Leo Cullen
20) Rocky Elsom
21) Chris Whitaker
22) David Holwell
23) Gordon D'arcy

That was put together in about 3 minutes mind, so don't expect perfection.

Feic I think Elsom has to be in the 15. He dragged ye to the first HEC. It hard calls but my Leinster 15:
Healy
Byrne
Wright
Hines
Thorn
Elsom
Gleeson
O'Brien
Reddan
Sexton
Hickie
D'Arcy
BOD
Horgan
Nacewa

I know I left alot of worthy contenders out but that's testament to recent talent that was on offer

Latest posts