• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Clubs Best Possible XV Ever.

Certainly not, but he was one of the worst if I remember correctly. Didn't he trip someone in that game, and get yellow carded, or am I thinking of a different game?
Think that was a pool game. In the QF where we won well it was Tiatia who got binned as I remember he was mouthing like mad at Ospreys coach that day while in bin

Ok my Chiefs team, based on the players I like most. So not necessarily the best:

1 Sona Taumololo
2 Schwalger/ Elliot
3 Tamefuna
4 O'neill
5 Rotallick
6 Messam
7 Latimer
8 Lauaki
9 TKB
10 Cruden
11 Flash/ Anesi
12 SBW/ Tana
13 Kahui
14 Siva
15 Mils

Perpignan last 15 years

1.Perry Freshwater
2.Raphaël Ibanez / Marius Tincu
3.Nicolas Mas
4.Mike James / Luke Charteris
5.Nathan Hines
6.Ovidiu Tonita / Damien Chouly
7.Scott Robertson
8.Thomas Lievremont
9.Nicolas Durand
10.Dan Carter
11.Julien Candelon
12.Maxime Mermoz / James Hook
13.Daniel Herbert
14.Dan Luger
15.Percy Montgomery

Last edited:
I haven't made a XV thread in what must be years - but I'm interested to know what you feel your clubs best possible XV would be. I'll start with the Hurricanes -
1. Mark Allen
2. Norm Hewitt3. Ben Franks
4. Dion Waller
5. Jason Eaton

6. Jerry Collins
7. Chris Masoe
8. Rodney So'oialo
9. Piri Weepu
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Tana Umaga (c)
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Christian Cullen

16. Andrew Hore
17. Neemia Tialata
18. Inoki Afeaki
19. Victor Vito
20. Jon Preston
21. Ma'a Nonu
22. Hosea Gear

An interesting thread, and I like the side you have picked. The two names highlighted sum up to me why the Hurricanes have never won a Super Rugby ***le. While Waller and Eaton are ok locks (and I agree with your picks) they really lack any grunt what-so-ever - it is really no surprise the Canes have never had a dominant tight-five at Super Rugby level. The only player I would really disagree with is Ben Franks. Not only has he only played 5 games for the franchise, but he has played all these matches on the LH side of the scrum. Though he is capable on playing on the TH side, he is a very average TH prop. He is far superior on the LH side, which is the main reason he is thriving for the Canes this season (along with getting consistent game-time).

Below is my Highlanders 22. I have picked my side based on the players performances while at the Highlanders, therefore the likes of Woodcock, Thorn, Howlett, Kahui et al. (e.g. players that only played a few games) were not considered:

1. Carl Hoeft
2. Anton Oliver
3. Carl Hayman
4. Simon Maling
5. Tom Donnelly
6. Adam Thomson
7. Josh Kronfeld
8. Taine Randell
9. Byron Kelleher
10. Nick Evans
11. Brendan Laney
12. John Leslie
13. Romi Ropati
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Ben Smith

16. Andrew Hore
17. Kees Meeuws
18. Filipo Levi
19. Isitolo Maka
20. Jimmy Cowan
21. Tony Brown
22. Jeremy Stanley

Overall not a bad looking side - the front row in particular looks pretty handy! Lock was a position where there were no clear standouts for me: I went for Maling and Donnelly, but the likes of Levi, John Blaikie, and Jame Ryan all had good cases. If Ryan had played a few more games before injury ruined his career he would have been a certainty, as he was the most talented of the lot. Loose-forwards are an area of strength - I would have liked to include Maka in the starting XV but couldn't find room for him. The likes of Craig Newby, Josh Blackie, Kelvin Middleton and Sam Harding were quality too.

I have gone for Evans at 10, but Tony Brown has a good case too. Evans was undoubtedly the better player, but Brown contributed for a far longer period, as was a key member of the side in the later 90's early 00's (when we were consistently good). Leslie is a must at 12 (though Mapasua and Alatini were both pretty handy too), but 13 is a bit of a weakness in this side. For me it was a toss-up between Ropati and Stanley (with Neil Brew and Ryan Nicholas not far behind), none of whom were great Super Rugby centres. 14 and 15 were easy selections, but 11 was a tough choice. Eventually I decided on Laney who did have some great moments for the Highlanders (though was much better in an Otago jersey). I seriously considered Brain Lima and Hosea Gear (both who are/were better players), but there lack of matches for the Highlanders counted against them.

Like the team but to be fair - a lot of those players never played for the Blues. I'd keep your forward pack (with Robin Brooke replacing Ian Jones who only played for the Chiefs in Super Rugby) but go with 9. Piri Weepu, 10. Carlos Spencer, 11. Jonah Lomu, 12. Luke McAlister, 13. Lee Stensness, 14. Rupeni Caucaunibuca, 15. Doug Howlett - with Sean Fitzpatrick, Olo Brown, Anthony Boric, Xavier Rush, Steve Devine, Isa Necewa, Joe Rokocoko being my bench.

My picks included NPC Auckland club side but yeah some of them have never played Super Rugby because it wasn't around when they were in their hay day.

Never been a big fan of Rush but I had a mate tell me that tackling him was like tackling concrete!

Weepus good but for the 'canes he was really good. Tonu'u like duck mentioned was a real force for us when we were Super Rugbys finest, he worked well with the team.

Last edited:
This is fun. Let's give this a try!

1. Ollie le Roux
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Mark Andrews
5. Johann Muller
6. Jacques Botes
7. AJ Venter
8. Gary Teichmann
9. Ruan Pienaar
10.Joel Stransky
11.JP Pietersen
12.Andre Snyman
13.Stefan Terblanche
14.Andre Joubert
15.Gavin Lawless

16.John Smit
17.Tendai Mtawarira
18.Johan Ackermann
19.Ryan Kankowski
20.Patrick Lambie
21.James Small
22.Percy Montgomery
Let me help you out a bit.

15. Andre Joubert
14. James Small
13. JP Pietersen
12. Pieter Muller
11. Cabous Van der Westhuisen
10. Henry Honiball
9. Ruan Pienaar
8. Gary Teichman (c)
7. AJ Venter
6. Wahl Bartman
5. Mark Andrews
4. Rudi ‘Vleis’ Visagie
3. Adrian Garvey
2. Bismarck Du Plessis
1. Guy Kebble

16. John Smit
17. Ollie Le Roux
18. Willem Alberts
19. Keegan Daniels
20. Craig Davidson
21. Butch James
22. Pat Lambie
23. Brent Russell
24. Frans Steyn

Players I chose are dyed in wool Sharks fans. None of these Percy Montgomery types who waltzed in for a few seasons to taste some silverware. I’m talking about okes who you can only picture in a Sharks jersey or for some of the older chaps, a Natal strip.

Tough 1:
1. Clohessy
2. Wood
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell
6. Williams
7. Wallace
8. Foley
9. Stringer
10. O'Gara
11. Kelly
12. Halstead
13. Tipoki
14. Howlett
15. Payne

16. Flannery
17. Horan
18. Freddie P. (Always saved us off bench)
19. Langford
20. Quinlan
21. Murray
22. Warwick
23. Mafi

John Kelly started 3 heineken cup finals, you're underrating his contribution criminally. Plus i look on everyone from the 2006 team favourably. I'd have Dowling ahead of Horgan too, now there is someone who never let us down, and got 2 HEC medals for his trouble. Gutted i can't fit Leamy in! but how can you not put Seamus in somewhere.

An interesting thread, and I like the side you have picked. The two names highlighted sum up to me why the Hurricanes have never won a Super Rugby ***le. While Waller and Eaton are ok locks (and I agree with your picks) they really lack any grunt what-so-ever - it is really no surprise the Canes have never had a dominant tight-five at Super Rugby level. The only player I would really disagree with is Ben Franks. Not only has he only played 5 games for the franchise, but he has played all these matches on the LH side of the scrum. Though he is capable on playing on the TH side, he is a very average TH prop. He is far superior on the LH side, which is the main reason he is thriving for the Canes this season (along with getting consistent game-time).

Below is my Highlanders 22. I have picked my side based on the players performances while at the Highlanders, therefore the likes of Woodcock, Thorn, Howlett, Kahui et al. (e.g. players that only played a few games) were not considered:

1. Carl Hoeft
2. Anton Oliver
3. Carl Hayman
4. Simon Maling
5. Tom Donnelly
6. Adam Thomson
7. Josh Kronfeld
8. Taine Randell
9. Byron Kelleher
10. Nick Evans
11. Brendan Laney
12. John Leslie
13. Romi Ropati
14. Jeff Wilson
15. Ben Smith

16. Andrew Hore
17. Kees Meeuws
18. Filipo Levi
19. Isitolo Maka
20. Jimmy Cowan
21. Tony Brown
22. Jeremy Stanley

Overall not a bad looking side - the front row in particular looks pretty handy! Lock was a position where there were no clear standouts for me: I went for Maling and Donnelly, but the likes of Levi, John Blaikie, and Jame Ryan all had good cases. If Ryan had played a few more games before injury ruined his career he would have been a certainty, as he was the most talented of the lot. Loose-forwards are an area of strength - I would have liked to include Maka in the starting XV but couldn't find room for him. The likes of Craig Newby, Josh Blackie, Kelvin Middleton and Sam Harding were quality too.

I have gone for Evans at 10, but Tony Brown has a good case too. Evans was undoubtedly the better player, but Brown contributed for a far longer period, as was a key member of the side in the later 90's early 00's (when we were consistently good). Leslie is a must at 12 (though Mapasua and Alatini were both pretty handy too), but 13 is a bit of a weakness in this side. For me it was a toss-up between Ropati and Stanley (with Neil Brew and Ryan Nicholas not far behind), none of whom were great Super Rugby centres. 14 and 15 were easy selections, but 11 was a tough choice. Eventually I decided on Laney who did have some great moments for the Highlanders (though was much better in an Otago jersey). I seriously considered Brain Lima and Hosea Gear (both who are/were better players), but there lack of matches for the Highlanders counted against them.
That Highlanders front row OMG! hard as nails and can out power a a 16 wheeler. Those blokes will make the modern day prop **** his pants

OK Let's give this ago. I'm biased towards the professional era, but here we go:

Leicester Tigers

15. Geordan Murphy
14. Rory Underwood
13. Manusamoa Tuilagi
12. Will Greenwood
11. Alesana Tuilagi
10. Austin Healy
9. Ben Youngs
1. Graham Rowntree
2. Richard Cockerill
3. Martin Castrogiovani
4. Martin Johnson
5. Ben Kay
6. Tom Croft
7. Neil Back
8. Dean Richards

16. Marcos Ayerza
17. Tom Youngs
18. Darren Garforth
19. Martin Corry
20. Harry Ellis
21. Toby Flood
22. Daryl Gibson
23. Tony Underwood

Notable mentions: Lewis Moody, Dan Cole, Seru Rabeni, Steve Mafi

OK Let's give this ago. I'm biased towards the professional era, but here we go:

Leicester Tigers

15. Geordan Murphy
14. Rory Underwood
13. Manusamoa Tuilagi
12. Will Greenwood
11. Alesana Tuilagi
10. Austin Healy
9. Ben Youngs
1. Graham Rowntree
2. Richard Cockerill
3. Martin Castrogiovani
4. Martin Johnson
5. Ben Kay
6. Tom Croft
7. Neil Back
8. Dean Richards

16. Marcos Ayerza
17. Tom Youngs
18. Darren Garforth
19. Martin Corry
20. Harry Ellis
21. Toby Flood
22. Daryl Gibson
23. Tony Underwood

Notable mentions: Lewis Moody, Dan Cole, Seru Rabeni, Steve Mafi

From an outsiders point of view, I wouldn't have either Ben Youngs or Manu Tuilagi in an all time Leicester XV. I don't think either have yet proved themselves at the highest level over a long enough period of time. Personally I would say Healey was better at 9 and either Joel Stransky or Andy Goode (for very different reasons) made more of a contribution at 10. I would probably include Pat Howard in the centres over Tuilagi at the moment and also find space for Josh Kronfeld - probably at the expense of Tom Croft in the back row.

This is from the view of someone with a (very) begrudging respect for Leicester though.

For Leicester I always thought Aaron Mauger was quality for them - be tempted to take him over Tuilagi and put Greenwood at centre.

Might as well give the Cardiff Blues a crack- left out any Cardiff RFC players who weren't around when the regions started.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Gareth Williams (not really, but not many quality hookers played for the Blues and I loved that little guy)
3. Tau Filise (honestly can't think of anyone else - when he was good, he was good, but had some terrible games in the scrum)
4. Paul ***o
5. Bradley Davies
6. Ma'ama Molitika
7. Martyn Williams
8. Xavier Rush
9. Mike Phillips/Richie Rees (Rees played a pretty integral part in the seasons we won silverware so possibly edges Phillips)
10. Nicky Robinson
11. Gareth Thomas (admittedly had at least 1 terrible season, but was outstanding in his last season before he went to League and the first couple of seasons too)
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Tom Shanklin
14. Leigh Halfpenny
15. Ben Blair

Few very underrated players who would be replacements gotta be - Nick Macleod (loved this guy) Marc Schterbina (hugely underrated imo) I suppose Tom James and Czekaj would be there or there abouts due to the many important tries the two have had for the Blues. Jamie Robinson possibly would get a look in too, though he never made the step up to international rugby. Also the greatest of all great players - Mr. Ed Fairhurst ;)

Might as well give the Cardiff Blues a crack- left out any Cardiff RFC players who weren't around when the regions started.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Gareth Williams (not really, but not many quality hookers played for the Blues and I loved that little guy)
3. Tau Filise (honestly can't think of anyone else - when he was good, he was good, but had some terrible games in the scrum)
4. Paul ***o
5. Bradley Davies
6. Ma'ama Molitika
7. Martyn Williams
8. Xavier Rush
9. Mike Phillips/Richie Rees (Rees played a pretty integral part in the seasons we won silverware so possibly edges Phillips)
10. Nicky Robinson
11. Gareth Thomas (admittedly had at least 1 terrible season, but was outstanding in his last season before he went to League and the first couple of seasons too)
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Tom Shanklin
14. Leigh Halfpenny
15. Ben Blair

Few very underrated players who would be replacements gotta be - Nick Macleod (loved this guy) Marc Schterbina (hugely underrated imo) I suppose Tom James and Czekaj would be there or there abouts due to the many important tries the two have had for the Blues. Jamie Robinson possibly would get a look in too, though he never made the step up to international rugby. Also the greatest of all great players - Mr. Ed Fairhurst ;)

Dan Baugh? Absolute unit in the back row for Blues. Lomu and Iestyn Harries would be considered with me.

Last edited:
Dan Baugh? Absolute unit in the back row for Blues. Lomu and Iestyn Harries would be considered with me.

Never saw a huge amount of Baugh tbf, he's forwards coach now isn't he? Wouldn't consider Lomu personally as he was nowhere near his best when he was at Cardiff. I thought Harris didn't stick around that long after the regions got made? Played only like 10 games I think

John Kelly started 3 heineken cup finals, you're underrating his contribution criminally. Plus i look on everyone from the 2006 team favourably. I'd have Dowling ahead of Horgan too, now there is someone who never let us down, and got 2 HEC medals for his trouble. Gutted i can't fit Leamy in! but how can you not put Seamus in somewhere.
I don't underrate anyone just it only an opinion based on what they gave and Kelly and Fowling in there I can accept to but as you pointed out regards Leamy we can't fit everyone in and I don't base anything on HEC appearances because lads like Claw didn't have any luck in 00 or 02 but they built the platform for others

Ospreys

15. Lee Byrne
14. Tommy Bowe
13. James Hook
12. Gavin Henson
11. Shane Williams
10. Dan Biggar
9. Justin Marshall

1. Paul James
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Ian Evans
6. Ryan Jones
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Filo Tiatia

16. Barry Williams
17. Duncan Jones
18. Craig Mitchell
19. Ian Gough
20. Jerry Collins
21. Kahn Fotuali'i
22. Andrew Bishop
23. Nikki Walker

Tempted to say Fussell on the bench, just on the fact he's been on-form ever since he signed for us. Made a point of not looking at Psychic Duck's team until I'd picked mine, only to see we'd gone with virtually the same side. Jerry's average second season sees him slip below Ryan, though it was fairly close. Fotuali'i's average first season was the only thing stopping him climbing above Marshall as well as Phillips. And I love Gav.

Ospreys

15. Lee Byrne
14. Tommy Bowe
13. James Hook
12. Gavin Henson
11. Shane Williams
10. Dan Biggar
9. Justin Marshall

1. Paul James
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Ian Evans
6. Ryan Jones
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Filo Tiatia

16. Barry Williams
17. Duncan Jones
18. Craig Mitchell
19. Ian Gough
20. Jerry Collins
21. Kahn Fotuali'i
22. Andrew Bishop
23. Nikki Walker

Tempted to say Fussell on the bench, just on the fact he's been on-form ever since he signed for us. Made a point of not looking at Psychic Duck's team until I'd picked mine, only to see we'd gone with virtually the same side. Jerry's average second season sees him slip below Ryan, though it was fairly close. Fotuali'i's average first season was the only thing stopping him climbing above Marshall as well as Phillips. And I love Gav.

Except for Hook never playing outside centre for the Ospreys, ever, I believe.
Good team otherwise.

Latest posts