9. Gus Pichot
10. Filipe Contepomi
11. Josh Lewsey
12. Jason Little
13. Neil Brew
14. David Lemi
15. Paul Hull

Coach: Bob Dwyer

Wow. We've had some great players, some didn't make this. Martin Corry, David Corkery. Al Charron, Henry Honnibal, Julian White, Gareth Archer, Robert Jones among many, many others

Sams Auckland Blues

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Craig Dowd
4. Ian Jones
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Micheal Jones
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Junior Tonu'u
10. Carlos Spencer
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Lee Stensness/Craig Innes
13. Eroni Clarke/Joe Stanley
14. Rupeni Caucaunibuca/John Kirwan
15. Adrian Cashmore

Special mention as some of my favourites:- Joeli Vidiri, Joe Rocokoko, Doug Howlett, Terry Wright, Bernie McCahill, Matthew Ridge, Sean Fitzpatrick, Robin Brooke, Shane Howarth, Isa Nacewa, Isaiah Toeava.

Last edited:
could we have players who use to play for that team

1. Syd Millar
2 rory best
3 john afoa
4 willie john mcbride
5 jeremy davidson
6 stephen ferris
7 bill mckay
8 roger wilson
9 Colin Patterson
10 David Humphreys
11 Tyrone Howe
12 Jackie kyle
13 Mike Gibson
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Bryn Cunningham

Sams Auckland Blues
1. Tony Woodcock
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Craig Dowd
4. Ian Jones
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Micheal Jones
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Junior Tonu'u
10. Carlos Spencer
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Lee Stensness/Craig Innes
13. Eroni Clarke/Joe Stanley
14. Rupeni Caucaunibuca/John Kirwan
15. Adrian Cashmore

Special mention as some of my favourites:- Joeli Vidiri, Joe Rocokoko, Doug Howlett, Terry Wright, Bernie McCahill, Matthew Ridge, Sean Fitzpatrick, Robin Brooke, Shane Howarth, Isa Nacewa, Isaia Toeava.

Like the team but to be fair - a lot of those players never played for the Blues. I'd keep your forward pack (with Robin Brooke replacing Ian Jones who only played for the Chiefs in Super Rugby) but go with 9. Piri Weepu, 10. Carlos Spencer, 11. Jonah Lomu, 12. Luke McAlister, 13. Lee Stensness, 14. Rupeni Caucaunibuca, 15. Doug Howlett - with Sean Fitzpatrick, Olo Brown, Anthony Boric, Xavier Rush, Steve Devine, Isa Necewa, Joe Rokocoko being my bench.

I left out players I hadn't seen in person. Also, considering the difficulty of comparing guys from the amateur and pro era's I only included ze professionals.

I left out players I hadn't seen in person. Also, considering the difficulty of comparing guys from the amateur and pro era's I only included ze professionals.

aww but ulster have mainly been **** in the pro era

im sticking to my team

Ospreys:
15. Lee Byrne
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Andrew Bishop
12. James Hook
11. Shane Williams
10. Dan Biggar
9. Justin Marshall
1. Paul James
2. Richie Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun-Wyn Jones
5. Ian Evans
6. Jerry Collins
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Filo Tiatia

16. Barry Williams
17. Duncan Jones
18. Ian Gough
19. Ryan Jones
20. Kahn Fotuali'i
21. Gavin Henson (when he turns up)
22. Stefan Terblanche

I'd move Hook to 13, Henson at 12 and Ryan Jones at 6. Collins was great, but so has Ryan, and for many more years.

I can't decide if Mike Phillips should be there somewhere.

Agree with leaving Hollah out, Tipuric is already a much better player.

Like the team but to be fair - a lot of those players never played for the Blues. I'd keep your forward pack (with Robin Brooke replacing Ian Jones who only played for the Chiefs in Super Rugby) but go with 9. Piri Weepu, 10. Carlos Spencer, 11. Jonah Lomu, 12. Luke McAlister, 13. Lee Stensness, 14. Rupeni Caucaunibuca, 15. Doug Howlett - with Sean Fitzpatrick, Olo Brown, Anthony Boric, Xavier Rush, Steve Devine, Isa Necewa, Joe Rokocoko being my bench.

Tonu'u was a far better scrum half than Weepu in my opinion. He was a very key player in the early all conquering Blues team, unlucky not to get more AB caps.

I'd move Hook to 13, Henson at 12 and Ryan Jones at 6. Collins was great, but so has Ryan, and for many more years.

I can't decide if Mike Phillips should be there somewhere.

Agree with leaving Hollah out, Tipuric is already a much better player.

Hook never played 13 for the Ospreys though, not even once. Henson is the best 12, but I dislike his attitude and missed many games. Collins and Ryan was a close call for me, both were good, but Ryan Jones was an 8 for a long while and there were a couple of seasons where he was remarkably average there as well. It has only been since he has moved to 6 and reinvented himself as a player that we have seen a resurgence in him.

Holah and Tipuric was also close. But Tipuric just shades it for me. Holah did good work whilst he was here though.

Mike Phillips shouldn't be there, like with Wales really, he had his moments, but was very poor the couple seasons after the Lions tour, and to be honest I think we should have kept Marshall longer rather than signing Phillips. Fotuali'i started poorly, but has surpassed Phillips on performances for the Ospreys though.

Hook never played 13 for the Ospreys though, not even once. Henson is the best 12, but I dislike his attitude and missed many games. Collins and Ryan was a close call for me, both were good, but Ryan Jones was an 8 for a long while and there were a couple of seasons where he was remarkably average there as well. It has only been since he has moved to 6 and reinvented himself as a player that we have seen a resurgence in him.

Holah and Tipuric was also close. But Tipuric just shades it for me. Holah did good work whilst he was here though.

Mike Phillips shouldn't be there, like with Wales really, he had his moments, but was very poor the couple seasons after the Lions tour, and to be honest I think we should have kept Marshall longer rather than signing Phillips. Fotuali'i started poorly, but has surpassed Phillips on performances for the Ospreys though.

That's fair.

I actually think Hollah was overrated. He could be damn good, but went missing in just about every big game he played for the Ospreys (Heineken quarters etc.). Tipuric is not only a better all round player, but a more consistent one as well.

That's fair.

I actually think Hollah was overrated. He could be damn good, but went missing in just about every big game he played for the Ospreys (Heineken quarters etc.). Tipuric is not only a better all round player, but a more consistent one as well.

I sort of know what you mean. Holah was a good solid player most teams would want him in their side he was effective but not spectacular. Tipuric was more prominent dynamic force in the loose and brings more flair to the side.

Tonu'u was a far better scrum half than Weepu in my opinion. He was a very key player in the early all conquering Blues team, unlucky not to get more AB caps.

Think maybe you just under rate Weepu. Thought about Tonu'u for the Canes team as well - but to be honest I'd probably have Mathewson/Peranara there over him too. He was a very good athlete - but I always felt he really looked good for the Blues because of an obsurdly dominant forward pack and Carlos Spencer at 10. When he moved back to the Canes he was pretty quickly replaced with Jason Spice. Weepu on form I think offers a hell of a lot more. Makes it sound like I don't like Tonu'u - I think he was good, just not THAT amazing.

I sort of know what you mean. Holah was a good solid player most teams would want him in their side he was effective but not spectacular. Tipuric was more prominent dynamic force in the loose and brings more flair to the side.

In 2009-2010 I thought Holah was immense for the Osprays - particularly in jackling. I remember watching him play against Biarritz and was just like a pitbull the way he went after it and wouldn't release. I think Tipuric is probably more dynamic, but at the breakdown I'd have taken an inform Holah (maybe some bias showing).

Last edited:
Think maybe you just under rate Weepu. Thought about Tonu'u for the Canes team as well - but to be honest I'd probably have Mathewson/Peranara there over him too. He was a very good athlete - but I always felt he really looked good for the Blues because of an obsurdly dominant forward pack and Carlos Spencer at 10. When he moved back to the Canes he was pretty quickly replaced with Jason Spice. Weepu on form I think offers a hell of a lot more. Makes it sound like I don't like Tonu'u - I think he was good, just not THAT amazing.

I guess I prefer scrum halves with superb skill like this compared to fatty Weepu. I also heard Weepu was a bit of a flop last season for the Blues.

In 2009-2010 I thought Holah was immense for the Osprays - particularly in jackling. I remember watching him play against Biarritz and was just like a pitbull the way he went after it and wouldn't release. I think Tipuric is probably more dynamic, but at the breakdown I'd have taken an inform Holah (maybe some bias showing).

He was good. Immense perhaps a bit strong, but reliable and tough player. I like both him and Tipuric, but Tipuric has had his strong moments in big games too.

diapo23bb27878d2c3c27a4ffe667e3308912.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

He was, but he still went completely missing in the Heineken game against Munster that season, the big game. Tipuric isn't far off in terms of jackling, but he has so much more to his game.

I think Holah has had quite a contribution to Tipuric's development. They played together blindside/openside on a few occasions as well.

Latest posts