• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your team's greatest XV - from the Heineken Cup era / Super Rugby era

I would've put Goode at 10, but... screw it.

10 Goode
11 Murphy
14 R Underwood

Prob should be Greenwood at 13?

Leicester have had far too many class players through their ranks :p
Wouldn't Greenwood technically 12 anyhow (but wearing the 13 shirt because he's daft and superstitious :p )

Ah, was it that way around?

I do feel a complete imposter here, sometimes, but I swear to you, I did go watch them pre-2002!

Leicester could have:

Dean Richards at 8
Richard Cockerill at Hooker

Both played in the 1997 Final lost against Brive.

What about Rod Kafer?

Leicester could have:

Dean Richards at 8
Richard Cockerill at Hooker

Both played in the 1997 Final lost against Brive.

What about Rod Kafer?

Richards, along with Underwood, Cockerill and Garforth, makes me think of letters on the shirts, which doesn't immediately connect with the HC.
Kafer isn't a name that has stuck in my memory.

Ah, was it that way around?

I do feel a complete imposter here, sometimes, but I swear to you, I did go watch them pre-2002!
I thought he played at outside centre and Tindall inside in the World Cup until watching School of Hardknocks last year when he explained it :p

I thought he played at outside centre and Tindall inside in the World Cup until watching School of Hardknocks last year when he explained it :p
You'd think a superstition about the number 13 would be to not wear it. :huh:

I agree with most of the your team, but I would have the Claw. And I would have Earls for Horgan but he has played mainly centre for Munster, so on second thoughts Dowling would shade it over Horgan

Claw was a hard man to leave out just felt Marcus was involved in all our Miracle games in Heineken Cup and had more memorable moments in the competition. If it was based on overall Claw would be in as he is a legend and well proffesional and Claw never mixed :D.
Disagree with comment about Horgan as he has been a superb servant to Munster and well alot better than Dowling, Keith will probably be the better winger in time but now he hasnt done enough yet

Not an easy task!

My chiefs all time 15:

1, James McGougan
2, Aled de Malmanche
3, Toby Smith
4, Jono Gibbs
5, Keith Robinson
6, Stephen Bates
7, Marty Holah
8, Liam Messam
9, Brendon Leonard
10, Stephen Donald
11, Sitiveni Sivivatu
12, David Hill
13, Richard Kahui
14, Bruce Reihana
15, Mils Muliaina

I guess I could have picked jon Lomu but he only played 8 games for the chiefs, he mostly played for the hurricanes. I know Toby Smith has only played a handful of games but I think he has the potential to be not only a Great Chief but also an All Black. leonard over Byron Kelleher because Byron ws mostly a highlander and Leonard was a big part of the 2009 Season where the chiefs Made the final as were a few current players like Kahui, Donald, Messam, Aled & McGougan. The later only making the chiefs squad because of injuries to other players but became critical to the chiefs success that year.

Edit: made a change ian jones out, Keith Robinson in. :)

Last edited:
1, Mark "Bull" Allen
2, Andrew Hore
3, Gordon Slater
4, Jason Eaton
5, Filo Tiatia
6, Jerry Collins
7, Masoe
8, So'olialo
9, Piri Weepu
10, David Holwell
11, Corey Jane
12, Tama Umaga
13, Conrad Smith
14, Lome Fa'atau
15, Christian Cullen

16 Cavubati
17 Hewitt
18 ***o
19 Thomas Waldrom
20 Jason Spice
21 Gopperth
22 Nonu

I had to do a bit of re jigging to fit everyone who I wanted to into the team. Players like Howlett and Toeava were discounted as they weren't here long enough. A lot of good backs did not get a look in like Iremia who I wanted to pick but then there are players like Gopperth and ***o in there who you would not say were brilliant.

1, Mark "Bull" Allen
2, Andrew Hore
3, Gordon Slater
4, Dion Waller
5, Paul ***o
6, Jerry Collins
7, Rodney So'oialo
8, Filo Tiatia
9, Piri Weepu
10, David Holwell
11, Jonah Lomu
12, Ma'a Nonu
13, Conrad Smith
14, Tana Umaga
15, Christian Cullen

16 Neemia Tialata
17 Norm Hewitt
18 Jason Eaton
19 Chris Masoe
20 Jon Preston
21 Jimmy Gopperth
22 Lome Fa'atau

Urm Gents this is Heineken Cup and not Super 15 :lol:

1, James McGougan
2, Aled de Malmanche
3, Toby Smith

I think that Chiefs front row is a bit of a weakness, but who else could you pick?

Agree with most of the team apart from 12 Hill, don't you think Ranby or Lowen are better? And I'd maybe have Roger Randle or Lelia Masaga ahead of Reihana.

Those Hurricanes backs look tough to pick!

Was Gordon Slater with 3 All Black substitute appearences really better than Tialata with 43 appearences and 24 starts?

1, Mark "Bull" Allen
2, Andrew Hore
3, Gordon Slater
4, Dion Waller
5, Paul ***o
6, Jerry Collins
7, Rodney So'oialo
8, Filo Tiatia
9, Piri Weepu
10, David Holwell
11, Jonah Lomu
12, Ma'a Nonu
13, Conrad Smith
14, Tana Umaga
15, Christian Cullen

16 Neemia Tialata
17 Norm Hewitt
18 Jason Eaton
19 Chris Masoe
20 Jon Preston
21 Jimmy Gopperth
22 Lome Fa'atau

Fa'atau over Gear, Bobo and Jane? Gopperth over Cruden (I can see it), Neemia Tialata for anyone else? I'd swap So'oialo at 7 for Masoe, but other than that, it's pretty solid. You could techniqually put Doug Howlett, Isaia Toeava and Roger Randle (lol) in there, but it's a tad hollow. I didn't want to do a big list because it is talking about the H-Cup teams.

For the Harlequins I'd go with:

1. Ceri Jones
2. Keith Wood
3. Jason Leonard
4. Ollie Kohn
5. George Robson
6. Nick Easter
7. Pat Sanderson
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Andy Gomarsall
10. Andrew Mehrtens
11. Ugo Monye
12. Will Greenwood
13. Will Carling
14. David Strettle
15. Nick Evans

Bristol Heineken Cup era:

1. Andrew Sheridan
2. Mark Regan
3. Julian White
4. Simon Shaw
5. Gareth Llewellyn
6. Matt Salter
7. Martin Corry
8. Dan Ward-Smith (got to have him)

9. Agustin Pichot
10. Felipe Contepomi
11. David Lemi
12. Manu Contepomi / Rob Higgitt
13. Daryl Gibson
14. Phil Christophers
15. Shane Drahm / Bernardo Stortoni

Pretty decent in the past!

Last edited:
Fa'atau over Gear, Bobo and Jane? I didn't want to do a big list because it is talking about the H-Cup teams.

Lome Fa'atau was the Super 14 top try scorer in 2006, Hosea Gear hasn't always been first choice for the Canes, and Cory Jane has played mainly full back at Super rugby level

Also this post is for Heineken Cup teams and Super rugby teams, the ***le is meant to say Heineken Cup era i.e. 1996 - onwards, but somebody moved it to the Heineken Cup section

So please do enter your super rugby teams

1. Andrew Sheridan
3. Julian White
5. Gareth Llewellyn
7. Martin Corry
12. Manu Contepomi / Rob Higgitt

Good Bristol team, I would have either Archer or Winters for Llewellyn, Hilton for Sheridan, I thought Sheridan was a lock whilst he was playing for Bristol. And Crompton for White as I thought Bristol fans didn't like White for doing his utmost best to leave Bristol. Did Corry ever play for Bristol?

And at centre aren't you forgetting Jason Little?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh Corry captained Bristol back when he was 23, but was another player who wanted to leave as Leicester were tracking him! Yes Winters for Llewellyn I agree and of course DC, but thought I would put out the best team technically. Hilton and DC are legends though!

Well, I got a request to post my fav. Sharks XV:

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. BJ Botha
4. Johan Ackerman
5. Mark Andrews
6. Jacques Botes
7. AJ Venter
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Ruan Pienaar
10.Francois Steyn
11.JP Pietersen