TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie Cup Logo.png

It's August and that means the Currie Cup is going to start! After 6 months of Super Rugby, some feel it's a step down, but the real rugby fanatics see the Currie Cup as an equally exciting competition which is the perfect stage for talented youngsters to make a name for themselves with the big players following the money to Japan, or represent the Boks in the Rugby Championship.

The weekend starts in Durban, when the Natal Sharks host Griquas on Friday night. On Saturday, the 2 other matches will take place. The Free State Cheetahs will visit the Golden Lions before the weekend ends on a high with Western Province taking on the Blue Bulls in Cape Town.

Round 1 Fixtures

Natal Sharks.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
GWK Griquas.png

Kings Park (19:10 GMT)

Golden Lions.png
Free State Cheetahs.png

Ellis Park, Johannesburg (15:00 GMT)

Western Province.png
Blue Bulls.png

Newlands, Cape Town (17:05 GMT)

The line-ups for all 3 games:

Natal Sharks
15. Odwa Ndungane, 14. Sizo Maseko, 13. Louis Ludik, 12. Tim Whitehead, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Butch James, 9. Charl McLeod, 8. Keegan Daniel ©, 7. Jean Deysel, 6. Brynard Stander, 5. Marco Wentzel, 4. Edwin Hewitt, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 2. Kyle Cooper, 1. Dale Chadwick

Replacements: 16. Craig Burden, 17. Rayno Gerber, 18. Peet Marais, 19. Tera Mtembu, 20. Cobus Reinach, 21. Fred Zeilinga, 22. Jaco van Tonder

GWK Griquas
15. Gouws Prinsloo, 14. Nico Scheepers, 13. JP Nel, 12. Howard Mnisi, 11. PJ Vermeulen, 10. Francois Brummer, 9. Jacques Coetzee, 8. Burger Schoeman, 7. Jaco Nepgen, 6. Marnus Schoeman, 5. Ligtoring Landman, 4. Hilton Lobberts, 3. Lourens Adriaanse, 2. Ryno Barnes ©, 1. Steph Roberts

Replacements: 16. Matt Dobson, 17. Nick Schonert, 18. Jonathan Adendorf, 19. Carel Greeff, 20. Marnus Hugo, 21. Du Randt Gerber, 22. Rocco Jansen

Golden Lions
15. Chrysander Botha, 14. Deon Helberg, 13. Stokkies Hanekom, 12. Dylan des Fountain, 11. Anthony Volmink, 10. Marnitz Boshoff, 9. Guy Cronje, 8. Willie Britz, 7. Warwick Tecklenburg, 6. Derick Minnie ©, 5. Hugo Kloppers, 4. Stephan Greef, 3. Ruan Dreyer, 2. Martin Bezuidenhout, 1. Jacques van Rooyen

Replacements: 16. Francois du Toit, 17. CJ van der Linde, 18. Lambert Groenewald, 19. Jaco Kriel, 20. Tian Meyer, 21. Elton Jantjies, 22. Lionel Cronje/Robert de Bruyn.

Free State Cheetahs
15. Hennie Daniller, 14. Riaan Smit, 13. Johann Sadie, 12. Robert Ebersohn, 11. Raymond Rhule, 10. Elgar Watts, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 8. Philip van der Walt, 7. Lappies Labuschagne, 6. Boom Prinsloo ©, 5. Waltie Vermeulen, 4. Lood de Jager, 3. John-Roy Jenkinson, 2. Hercu Liebenberg, 1. Caylib Oosthuizen

Replacements: 16. Ethienne Reynecke, 17. Wian du Preez, 18. Oupa Mohoje, 19. Davon Raubenheimer, 20. Piet van Zyl, 21. Joubert Engelbrecht, 22. Piet Lindeque

Western Province
15. Gio Aplon, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. Pat Howard, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Cheslin Kolbe, 10. Gary van Aswegen, 9. Louis Schreuder, 8. Nizaam Carr, 7. Rynhardt Elstadt, 6. Deon Fourie ©, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Gerbrandt Grobler, 3. Brok Harris, 2. Scarra Ntubeni, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Replacements: 16. Alistair Vermaak, 17. Pat Cilliers, 18. Michael Rhodes, 19. Ruan Kitshoff, 20. Nic Groom, 21. Kurt Coleman, 22. Berton Klaasen

Blue Bulls
15. Jurgen Visser, 14. Sampie Mastriet, 13. Ulrich Beyers, 12. Francois Venter, 11. Travis Ismaiel, 10. Tony Jantjies, 9. Rudy Paige, 8. Jono Ross ©, 7. Jacques du Plessis, 6. Wiaan Liebenberg, 5. Grant Hattingh, 4. Paul Willemse, 3. Frik Kirsten, 2. Willie Wepener, 1. Morne Mellet

Replacements: 16. Callie Visagie, 17. Marcell van der Merwe, 18. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 19. Jean Cook, 20. Ruan Snyman, 21. Waylon Murray, 22. Clayton Blommetjies

Sharks by 7(possibly more but Ill give the Griquas some respect in the first round)

Lions by 10

Province by 1(being a homer....should be game of the round in all seriousness, I give WP edge at home)

Although Griquas are a bogey team for us, we never struggle against them when playing in Durban. It's only in Kimberley where we struggle. I feel this will be a big win, easy points.

Lions and Cheetahs can go either way. The Cheetahs are very weak this year. Especially depth-wise. Lions will be hungry and they have some really nice talented guys plus a couple additions who will try to make a name for themselves as well.

The cracking end in Cape Town should go the way of WP. The Bulls lost a lot of first-choice players and they will struggle to assemble a competitive team.

Although Griquas are a bogey team for us, we never struggle against them when playing in Durban. It's only in Kimberley where we struggle. I feel this will be a big win, easy points.

Lions and Cheetahs can go either way. The Cheetahs are very weak this year. Especially depth-wise. Lions will be hungry and they have some really nice talented guys plus a couple additions who will try to make a name for themselves as well.

The cracking end in Cape Town should go the way of WP. The Bulls lost a lot of first-choice players and they will struggle to assemble a competitive team.

These were my sentiments as well, though I noted a lot of people picking them on the bru this weekend. I like the Lions side and they've had some time together against a variety of opponents in their series of games over the past few months.

What I love about those teams are that every single one of them are young guys. Every team has debutant(s).

I think everyone are underestimating the Bulls a bit. and that's fine with me, but I won't be surprised if they beat the WP by 10+...

I'm going with

Sharks +12,
Cheetahs +3
WP +3

These are very evenly matches teams but I feel the Cheetahs have lost some ground due to Bok call-up they havn't had in the past. I put them, the Lions and Griquas as underdogs. I don't think this Bulls team is as bereft of class as most commentators are putting forward but I do feel the WP and Sharks are the teams most likely to take the lead at half-way

Glad I gave some respect for the Griquas....a new saying of mine for Currie Cup action perhaps...."RESPECT the Griquas!!!". Sharks fans what on earth is going on though? I wouldn't have been too surprised at this result on the road in Kimberly but wow!!

New coaches, new players/haven't played in a while, poor players still poor.

Sharks are rebuilding and we just miss too many players. McLeod still getting the knot over Reinach, James not bringing any creativity, new locks still troubling with the line-outs.

Ohw, and I don't want to blame the referee, because I don't want to be that guy, but Jason Jaftha is a moron. By far the worst SA referee. He has no clue what "held in the tackle" means and 3 times awarded the Sharks a scrum for losing the ball after taking it into the maul.

Well what a first week! 2 away wins and a draw...

If this first week was any inication, this Currie Cup is going to be a very tight contest...

Morne Mellet is a monster at scrum time, how Brok Harris is still walking straight will be a miracle...

I was real proud of the Bulls, they did better than I expected, and the set phases was particularly good to see.

This is the closest round I've ever experienced in Super Rugby, Currie Cup or any other competition. Griquas win with a 2-point difference, Cheetahs a 1-point difference and the 3rd game ends in a draw.

A total of 3 points the difference overall between the home and away teams. Ridiculous! Griquas are impressive!

Ohw, and I don't want to blame the referee, because I don't want to be that guy, but Jason Jaftha is a moron. By far the worst SA referee. He has no clue what "held in the tackle" means and 3 times awarded the Sharks a scrum for losing the ball after taking it into the maul.

The amount of disdain I have for this person this weekend surpassed my disappointment in the Sharks.

He has no respect and shows nothing but contempt towards the players on the pitch. He is the star of the show. Everyone is there to watch and hear him blow his whistle as shrilly as he can. To talk condescendingly on the players, knowing they won't back-chat too fiercely or else he shall punish them further.

A terrible referee and human being.

Contrast him to the ref of the WP/ Bulls game. Not even night and day. 50 metres from the sun vs a planet orbiting between two planets in a solar dust cloud that obscures and inhibits any meaningful light from ever reaching it.

i got to say i did not feel him having such a big impact on the result/game progress. Surely he had some questionable decisions, but nothing big imo.

The Sharks did not fight as they normally do, they lacked the quality of execution, and the Griquas did better than expected- they were more focused and believed 'till the end.

The amount of disdain I have for this person this weekend surpassed my disappointment in the Sharks.

He has no respect and shows nothing but contempt towards the players on the pitch. He is the star of the show. Everyone is there to watch and hear him blow his whistle as shrilly as he can. To talk condescendingly on the players, knowing they won't back-chat too fiercely or else he shall punish them further.

A terrible referee and human being.

Contrast him to the ref of the WP/ Bulls game. Not even night and day. 50 metres from the sun vs a planet orbiting between two planets in a solar dust cloud that obscures and inhibits any meaningful light from ever reaching it.

I agree 100%

Jaftha has what we call in Afrikaans "kortmannetjie-sindroom" a small guy thinking that he's better than everyone else.

His constant yapping is so annoying. Stop talking and let the game go on.

Definitely a great start to the Currie Cup.
Great to see some of tomorrow's Boks in action.
Bulls no 7 is a MONSTER as I see a big future for him, both WP centers impressed me and Pat Howard could become an influential player there, he has all the attributes.
Kriel from the Lions is another hot prospect
Bulls did really well at scrum time and WP with Ball in hand, maybe a fair result.
Jafta is kakka but Rasta was a real gem to see in action, he will become one of the worlds top referees within two years (I hope)

Definitely a great start to the Currie Cup.
Great to see some of tomorrow's Boks in action.
Bulls no 7 is a MONSTER as I see a big future for him, both WP centers impressed me and Pat Howard could become an influential player there, he has all the attributes.
Kriel from the Lions is another hot prospect
Bulls did really well at scrum time and WP with Ball in hand, maybe a fair result.
Jafta is kakka but Rasta was a real gem to see in action, he will become one of the worlds top referees within two years (I hope)

Who? Jacques Du Plessis or Jean Cook?? Lol

Who? Jacques Du Plessis or Jean Cook?? Lol

Both. Them, Kriel, Schoeman, Howard, Mellett and Kirsten all very impressive in the first round and outplaying some guys that have been around for a while with some SR experience. Okay, the Bulls props have played SR but props take more time.

Latest posts