• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Argentina vs. South Africa in Mendoza (24/08/2013)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
TRC.png

Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, Mendoza (24/08/2013, 20:10 GMT)
Argentina.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
South Africa.png

Referee: Steve Walsh
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png

Assistants: John Lacey
23px-IRFU_flag.svg.png
& Pascal Gaüzère
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

Television match official: Vinny Munro
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

Argentina
TBD

South Africa
TBD

'Argentina a different animal at home'
Argentina captain Felipe Contepomi is hoping that his team can show some character and turn things around when they face the Springboks on home soil this weekend.
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3821_8878387,00.html

Bigger challenges in SA's path
Springbok number eight Duane Vermeulen says the team can still improve as tougher challenges lie ahead in the Rugby Championship.
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3821_8878259,00.html

maaaan, I don't even know what to expect out of this one. I think we're all still confused about just how good SA really is, and how bad Argentina has gotten+injuries+scrum don't work no mo.

Playing in Argentina is different from playing anywhere else in the world. Reason being, no team has enough experience with playing there. New Zealand, South Africa and Australia have a lot of experience playing against each other home and away and play in the other countries in Super Rugby as well.

Especially Mendoza is a tricky place to go to. I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina wins at least 1 this year at hoime.

It might get worse this time due to all the important injured players :/

Playing in Argentina is different from playing anywhere else in the world. Reason being, no team has enough experience with playing there. New Zealand, South Africa and Australia have a lot of experience playing against each other home and away and play in the other countries in Super Rugby as well.

Especially Mendoza is a tricky place to go to. I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina wins at least 1 this year at hoime.

How will Argentina to win their first game without their best forwards? With their top forwards it was very difficult, without them it's impossible.

Regards

Well, I guess we won't know until Saturday. I don't expect the Boks to lose, but Australia is really one to beat for the Pumas, especially since they play in Rosario.

Mendoza however, is the worst location to play the Pumas. La Plata, Rosario and Buenos Aires are much easier to settle as a visiting team.

Why Mendoza is a tricky place or the worst location? I live 170 km from there, and I can tell you it's a wonderful place, near the Andes Mountains. Much better than Rosario and La Plata I can tell.

The reason being it being close to the Andes. It's a lot different from the cities close to the Rio de la Plata. Mendoza is a beautiful city, I agree. However, it's like Bloemfontein in South Africa. The whole atmosphere is different from other cities. Makes it unique. It's difficult to acclimatize to that.

Well, I guess we won't know until Saturday. I don't expect the Boks to lose, but Australia is really one to beat for the Pumas, especially since they play in Rosario.

Mendoza however, is the worst location to play the Pumas. La Plata, Rosario and Buenos Aires are much easier to settle as a visiting team.

Australia is a very different team than last year, they have players like: Will Genia, James Horwill, James O'Connor, Leali'ifano and Israel Folau. Players who for various reasons were not last year and Pumas don't have their best forwards. Don't stay with the second half of the game in Sydney, remember the first half. Australia is a stronger team this year, I think they are going to beat Pumas in home and away

Regards

Australia this year is also the team that still needs to gel and was on the receiving end of the biggest Lions win ever in history. They have 16 players in the squad with 10 tests or less. Playing in Argentina will be tricky.

Australia this year is also the team that still needs to gel and was on the receiving end of the biggest Lions win ever in history. They have 16 players in the squad with 10 tests or less. Playing in Argentina will be tricky.

It will be difficult, but it will not be worse than last year. Do you remember the Australian squad that presented last year in Rosario?...

Wallabies last year in Rosario:

1 James Slipper
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
3 Ben Alexander
4 Kane Douglas
5 Nathan Sharpe
6 Sitaleki Timani
7 Michael Hooper
8 Radike Samo
9 Nick Phipps
10 Kurtley Beale
11 Digby Ioane
12 Pat McCabe
13 Ben Tapuai
14 Nicks Cummins
15 Michael Harris

They didn't have their best players, Robbie Deans had to improvise with Kurtley Beale at 10, Nick Phipps, Tapuai, Nicks Cummins and Michael Harris. IMO the worst Australian team that I can remember for a test. And yet they won, I don't think that Australia can provide a team worse than that, they will win in Rosario again.

Regards

It will be difficult, but it will not be worse than last year. Do you remember the Australian squad that presented last year in Rosario?...

Wallabies last year in Rosario:

1 James Slipper
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau
3 Ben Alexander
4 Kane Douglas
5 Nathan Sharpe
6 Sitaleki Timani
7 Michael Hooper
8 Radike Samo
9 Nick Phipps
10 Kurtley Beale
11 Digby Ioane
12 Pat McCabe
13 Ben Tapuai
14 Nicks Cummins
15 Michael Harris

They didn't have their best players, Robbie Deans had to improvise with Kurtley Beale at 10, Nick Phipps, Tapuai, Nicks Cummins and Michael Harris. IMO the worst Australian team that I can remember for a test. And yet they won, I don't think that Australia can provide a team worse than that, they will win in Rosario again.

Regards

Agree with this +1

South Africa wont beat Australia lol, Aussie have been successful against them for a few years now

Australia is a very different team than last year, they have players like: Will Genia, James Horwill, James O'Connor, Leali'ifano and Israel Folau. Players who for various reasons were not last year and Pumas don't have their best forwards. Don't stay with the second half of the game in Sydney, remember the first half. Australia is a stronger team this year, I think they are going to beat Pumas in home and away

Regards

The only reason Australia managed to stay in touch with the AB's in the first half in Sydney was through them giving away too many cheap points from unforced errors (mistimed jump at a kickoff, player in front of a bomb), and a single piece of individual brilliance by Will Genia just before half-time. They only managed to look close on the final scoreboard thanks to a soft try in the last seconds when the AB's were down to 14 men.

I don't think the Wallabies will get much closer in Wellington, even if we have to play our 4th string 1st 5/8.

Meantime, the All Blacks could easily have rattled on 50 or 60 - two conversions struck the uprights (one of them bounced off the crossbar too) and no Wallaby was going to stop Savea scoring the try in the corner the fall hadn't bounced of the corner flag into touch.

Last edited:
Pumas by 40...yep, forty points less than previous match against SA, so 13-33 Bokkes will win

The Springbok team that played in Mendoza last year had 7 players who played their first match on away in Springbok colours. Those players were:
Jacques Potgieter
Marcel Coetzee
Eben Etzebeth
Tiaan Liebenberg
Pat Cilliers
Keegan Daniel
JJ Engelbrecht

This time all the guys are more settled in, and we certainly have a better team than last year. One big difference is at Hooker, with Bismarck back. Tiaan Liebenberg is the 5th/6th best hooker in SA. Also at prop I think we have a much better group of props than last year.

My prediction is that SA will win with 4 or more tries.

The Springbok team that played in Mendoza last year had 7 players who played their first match on away in Springbok colours. Those players were:
Jacques Potgieter
Marcel Coetzee
Eben Etzebeth
Tiaan Liebenberg
Pat Cilliers
Keegan Daniel
JJ Engelbrecht

This time all the guys are more settled in, and we certainly have a better team than last year. One big difference is at Hooker, with Bismarck back. Tiaan Liebenberg is the 5th/6th best hooker in SA. Also at prop I think we have a much better group of props than last year.

My prediction is that SA will win with 4 or more tries.

That was a bad and/or inexperienced team fresh with a new coach and playing badly. Settled guys like Bekker also didn't perform on the day. We were very lucky to draw IMO. Man, what a difference a year makes and then we have some guys out that will come in to strengthen the team as well.

That was a bad and/or inexperienced team fresh with a new coach and playing badly. Settled guys like Bekker also didn't perform on the day. We were very lucky to draw IMO. Man, what a difference a year makes and then we have some guys out that will come in to strengthen the team as well.

Yeah, and the Draw was only possible by a charged down kick which Frans Steyn then followed up and scored a try.

He was another one that is terribly out of form and IMO a bit unfit. Since he got married and moved back to SA, he's been slouching.

Anyways, does anyone know around what time we can expect the team announcement tomorrow?

I would've expected Arg to be able to sneak a win a week ago but after he game I can't see that happing now but for the sake of rugby I hope they do better.

It comes down to quick ball and the maul. If Arg can deny SA quick ball and counter the maul they can make a game of it. If not then at least I hope for a more decent scoreline but it could get ugly-ish again.

In 2 of SA's maul tries the player detached from the maul but the ref let it go. That said the detachment was because of Argentine forwards infringing so it balances out I guess.

Latest posts