• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Argentina vs. South Africa in Mendoza (24/08/2013)

15. Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino, 14. Gonzalo Camacho, 13. Marcelo Bosch, 12. Felipe Contepomi (captain), 11. Horacio Agulla, 10. Nicolás Sánchez, 9. Martín Landajo, , 8. Leonardo Senatore , 7. Juan Manuel Leguizamón, 6. Pablo Matera, 5. Mariano Galarza, 4. Julio Farías Cabello, 3. Juan Figallo, 2. Eusebio Guiñazú, 1. Marcos Ayerza

Replacements: 16. Agustín Creevy, 17. Nahuel Lobo, 18. Matias Diaz, 19. Tomas Lavaninni, 20. Benjamin Macome, 21. Tomás Cubelli, 22. Santiago Fernández, 23. Juan Imhoff

how is Imhoff comin off the bench ?..

Pas terrible, monsieur: Imhoff is a great rugby player. His astonished face when he was replaced reveals how good is SA, in that 73-13 game.

I'm just hoping for a bonus point win and I mean no disrespect to Argentina; I feel the result should be beyond a doubt if we were to see ourselves as ***le contenders. That means winning all our home games, getting bonus points against Argentina and thanks to last week also getting a bonus point win in Aussie. Gonna be a tough ask unless Aus do us a favor this weekend or we win in Auckland; even tougher asks. Step one though is winning well in Mendoza..

Because he's a bad tackler, he never defends. He couldn't stop my grandmother.

Cheers

yeh, good point...it's too much of a gamble for this game in particular I suppose..

Pas terrible, monsieur: Imhoff is a great rugby player. His astonished face when he was replaced reveals how good is SA, in that 73-13 game.

a, si...claro.

Cheers

hahaha sad(because Imhoff is good at attacking), but true... one usual expression here is "that (player) is shy" (to tackle)

Cheers

You don't pick wingers solely to defend. He is by far the best attacker and also missed 0 tackles last week anyway. Wasn't his fault the pack got driven over by mauls several times and the midfield got run through. His dropping is cowardice on Phelan's part, who reverts to his negative in dropping the most exciting back after a thrashing that was based on a weak pack.

I hope the next Pumas coach allows for maverick players who can offer something special. If I was Imhoff (15 caps 11 tries) I would be seething to be left out for that slow tubster Agulla (43 caps 4 tries). It was only as recent as the last warm up game that Imhoff was scoring tries like this, and leaving Halfpenny for dead against Wales. Thank goodness Wales never had a negative coach like Phelan in charge, Shane Williams would have been dropped for Craig Morgan every time the side got a beating due to a pathetic front 5 performance. If he was England coach he would bring back Mark Cueto and never cap Christian Wade.

He's put a back rower Julio Farias Cabello at lock which will only weaken set piece also is a confusingly bad move as well, we saw what happened last time he played lock against England where he was part of the weakest Puma lock combination of all time with Lozada.

I'm afraid this tournament could well be just a write off now for Argentina. Just need to wait until the impediment of a coach finally gets out the way and start afresh in November.

Argentina played very badly, although the SA played a "very high level". Anyway nothing justify the "73" points against a rugby team ranked 10th of the IRB.

You don't pick wingers solely to defend. He is by far the best attacker and also missed 0 tackles last week anyway. Wasn't his fault the pack got driven over by mauls several times and the midfield got run through. His dropping is cowardice on Phelan's part, who reverts to his negative in dropping the most exciting back after a thrashing that was based on a weak pack.

I hope the next Pumas coach allows for maverick players who can offer something special. If I was Imhoff (15 caps 11 tries) I would be seething to be left out for that slow tubster Agulla (43 caps 4 tries). It was only as recent as the last warm up game that Imhoff was scoring tries like this, and leaving Halfpenny for dead against Wales. Thank goodness Wales never had a negative coach like Phelan in charge, Shane Williams would have been dropped for Craig Morgan every time the side got a beating due to a pathetic front 5 performance. If he was England coach he would bring back Mark Cueto and never cap Christian Wade.

He's put a back rower Julio Farias Cabello at lock which will only weaken set piece also is a confusingly bad move as well, we saw what happened last time he played lock against England where he was part of the weakest Puma lock combination of all time with Lozada.

I'm afraid this tournament could well be just a write off now for Argentina. Just need to wait until the impediment of a coach finally gets out the way and start afresh in November.

Hey, do you follow me on ALL threads? lol

You're comparing to Wales, the best team around the world in the decade of the 70s, with Argentina? I can't believe it. First, I think Agulla has been most important to Bath that Imhoff for Racing Metro.

Second, the best Argentina's defense we saw in RWC 2011 and several TRC's matches last year. Who were the wingers? Agulla and Camacho.

Argentina must return to its roots, building on a strong defense that was what made ​​a respectable team last year. A defense in which ALL players defend, including wingers.

After receiving 77 points and without their best players, it's the best they could do. You want that Phelan's Team play like Crusaders or Chiefs, and they can't do, not as easy as you say so.

Last year's "Pumas vs ABs" in La Plata, Pumas came to attack from the start (They made the first try) and then received 50 points. In that game Phelan did what you want and that was the worst game of Argentina last year, then it's not as simple as you say so.

Cheers

awww man, hyperlink for a youtube vid within a sentence like that...that's just sexy. Daayyyumm...

Hey, do you follow me on ALL threads? lol

You're comparing to Wales, the best team around the world in the decade of the 70s, with Argentina? I can't believe it. First, I think Agulla has been most important to Bath that Imhoff for Racing Metro.

Second, the best Argentina's defense we saw in RWC 2011 and several TRC's matches last year. Who were the wingers? Agulla and Camacho.

Argentina must return to its roots, building on a strong defense that was what made ​​a respectable team last year. A defense in which ALL players defend, including wingers.

After receiving 77 points and without their best players, it's the best they could do. You want that Phelan's Team play like Crusaders or Chiefs, and they can't do, not as easy as you say so.

Last year's "Pumas vs ABs" in La Plata, Pumas came to attack from the start (They made the first try) and then received 50 points. In that game Phelan did what you want and that was the worst game of Argentina last year, then it's not as simple as you say so.

Cheers

Rugby Myth: Argentina had some sort of impenetrable brick wall of a defence last year.

South Africa and Australia were both vulnerable last year and they combined still scored 7 tries against them last year. Argentina's record of conceding 4 tries in 2 matches against the Boks was hardly different to what Ireland (1 try), England (1 freak try) or Scotland (2 tries) conceded in November. Nor was 3 tries in 2 matches vs Australia particularly special either, Australia only scored 3 tries in 4 matches in November. So the Pumas defence was hardly that much better than their peers. And that match away in New Zealand was clearly effected by the windy rain storm overhead, and they barely looked like getting a point themselves or challenge to win the game after the first try either. If the conditions were better, the All Blacks would have probably scored 40 points as well. I also would highly question that one wing position makes all the difference either.

Rugby Myth: Argentina had some sort of impenetrable brick wall of a defence last year.

RWC 2011: Argentina received a single try of England (Ben Youngs), two tries of ABs (Brad Thorn and Kieran Read) and no tries of Scotland. That's a good defense.

Cheers

RWC 2011: Argentina received a single try of England (Ben Youngs), two tries of ABs (Brad Thorn and Kieran Read) and no tries of Scotland. That's a good defense.

Cheers

1. England played awful that match and Argentina still lost.

2. The reason only conceded 2 tries that match as they cynically conceded a penalty every time New Zealand were close, hence why Piri Weepu ended up with 21 points worth of penalties. Losing by 23 points isn't anything to boast about either for a top 8 side.

3. That was a rain affected match against one of the bluntest attacking teams. That was part of non scoring streak where Scotland didn't score for 4 games in a row. Keeping Scotland tryless in rainy conditions isn't anything to boast about, especially since that was a fluke win as well. Most Tier 1 teams would have held them tryless, and indeed Tier 2 Georgia did so.

2 losses and a fluky win. Nothing special about that.

The last time ABs ended a first half of game without tries was in 1999. Was not it enough to do that for a team like Argentina?. If England played a bad game was merit to the pressure exerted by the Pumas, every time England tried to move forward, the Pumas were doing back. Even Tuilagi couldn't break the Argentina's defense throughout most of the game. I think the Argentina's defense was meritorious for a lesser team hierarchy.

Cheers

I'll be traveling tomorrow to Mendoza to see a ...butchery? Well, with the Pumas in good and bad times.

The last time ABs ended a first half of game without tries was in 1999. Was not it enough to do that for a team like Argentina?. If England played a bad game was merit to the pressure exerted by the Pumas, every time England tried to move forward, the Pumas were doing back. Even Tuilagi couldn't break the Argentina's defense throughout most of the game. I think the Argentina's defense was meritorious for a lesser team hierarchy.

Cheers

You don't seem to be getting the message so I'll repeat myself. A 23 point loss to the All Blacks and a close loss to an England team playing in awful form isn't anything to boast and celebrate about.

FFS. Argentina are a top 8 side with a RWC semi final in recent memory and wins over nearly all the top nations, not a nation with a world ranking in the teens. Argentina's results in 2011 RWC would have been a success for a side like Italy perhaps, not the Pumas. This attitude is just a path to mediocrity.

Last edited:
This is what Morne Steyn will see when taking shots at goal

That didn't happen in Mendoza last year and won't happen tomorrow, the grades are relatively far from the field, the game will be played during daytime and the people of Mendoza tend to be more respectful.

Latest posts