• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] South Africa vs. New Zealand in Johannesburg (05/10/2013)

experience tells us it never actually works... :D

Haha, how about you contribute to a thread instead of just trying to get a reaction out of me?

Yes I agree, the personnel are pretty perfectly suited to the ABSA's gameplan now, and have added a new edge to it too like you say with the forwards you have there. I like the more ambitious backs too, although I still can't fathom Kirchner at the back.

Haha, That won't stick... We change sponsors so often that by next year it won't make sense anyways. AIG has a much bigger impact.

As for Kirchner, he's just a stop gap. And while he is on form HM will use him while Taute recovers. Kirchner didn't have a poor game vs. the Wobblies, and was instrumental on attack, even scoring our 2nd try. Bear in mind that he is picked for his defence and sweeping ability.

Franco van der Merwe called up to cover for his name-sake. I just hope this doesn't mean du Toit won't play. If Franco is on the bench, the call up for du Toit is the most ridiculous thing since Ricky Januarie played for us.

He could have played for the Sharks and get some more experience in stead of carrying tackle bags

Franco van der Merwe called up to cover for his name-sake. I just hope this doesn't mean du Toit won't play. If Franco is on the bench, the call up for du Toit is the most ridiculous thing since Ricky Januarie played for us.

He could have played for the Sharks and get some more experience in stead of carrying tackle bags

HM said that PSDT is a long term project. Which is a strong indication that he will be a regular very soon. Has Franco made his Debut yet for the Boks?? if Not, then just give PSDT the debut already , even if it's off the Bench...

Haha, how about you contribute to a thread instead of just trying to get a reaction out of me?

Haha, That won't stick... We change sponsors so often that by next year it won't make sense anyways. AIG has a much bigger impact.

As for Kirchner, he's just a stop gap. And while he is on form HM will use him while Taute recovers. Kirchner didn't have a poor game vs. the Wobblies, and was instrumental on attack, even scoring our 2nd try. Bear in mind that he is picked for his defence and sweeping ability.

It's true that ABSA's team are less successful and less prestigious, but I don't see how it makes them any less their team.

It's true that ABSA's team are less successful and less prestigious, but I don't see how it makes them any less their team.
lol

Anyway should be a great game! One thing I will say is that winning this game doesn't necessarily make us the best far from it really, let's not get carried away, if we can't beat NZ away we cannot definitely say we are better than them, at best if we win at home and always lose away, it makes us close enough that the home ground advantage is enough to swing it.

I know we might have won the away game this year but there is really no way to say that conclusively, let's not get carried away with our own arrogance only to get a wake up call.
Anyway as for the game, I feel like up and unders are going to be the decider last game ours were poor and theirs were brilliant (mostly thanks to Ben Smith) if we can't sharpen up in this area I can't see us being successful.

I can't wait any more. The teamsheets will probably generate minimal discussion apart from whether PSdT or Franco vd Merwe will do bench duty. The other possibility is JJ Engelbrecht is a slight injury concern. That's about it really. It's gonna be a looooong wait.

I can't wait any more. The teamsheets will probably generate minimal discussion apart from whether PSdT or Franco vd Merwe will do bench duty. The other possibility is JJ Engelbrecht is a slight injury concern. That's about it really. It's gonna be a looooong wait.

yeah! And the news reports have been very slow. usually by now there would have been plenty of reports, but on Sport24 for instance, there are more reports on the Currie Cup and Cheeky Watson being angry at his neighbours than what's going on in the Bok-camp.

We need to muscle up and try and equal or better the SA forwards, that's how you play SA. If we can stop them in their tracks and not let them gain advantage when they carry, we will set ourselves up for a good chance to win the game.

I think this game will be similar to the one last year in SA. We pretty much got raped with penalties in the first twenty, but weathered it and came back to win convincingly. If SA gets that same sort of start on us this week, then it will be difficult for us to win, as i think SA will have learned from last year.

The match up of styles in this game is exciting in itself. Two old rivals with two different style of play. Who is going to impose their style of play better. Will it be the big hard running forward dominated SAs, or will it be the silky running skillful backs of the ABs.

Anyways cant wait for the game.

Wouldn't ABSA apply to both teams this week.
I really should write to them and suggest a sponsorship deal.

First the win. IF we manage to impose and are a ways ahead then only don't take the points on offer IMO.

We have a bunch of guys coming through in recent years at provincial and Super Rugby level, and it makes me smile. Etzebeth, Serfontein, Botha, du Toit, Vermeulen, Kolbe, Jordaan, Le Roux and many others will be serious options come 2015

Paul Jordaan! Fantastic player! I saw him in a Junior WC, also I saw him playing in Sharks, he can play at centre too, right?

Really? why couldn't they score a BP win against a poor Australian team. I don't think the SA backline maximises the ball their forwards produce at all.

Well, if Boks don't have a great backline, which team has it as well as ABs? England or perhaps C-O-L-O-M-B-I-A??? hahaha.

Boks have a great backline, perhaps the second best backline around the world. And if they didn't get the BP was for handling errors and because Aussies defended better in the second half.

With your criteria, only ABs have a good backline, everyone else would be a disaster. I think not, Wallabies maybe are at their worst crisis, but still a tough team, they are at the level of Wales or England, and England isn't a bad team, or you think they are a bad team??

Cheers

Last edited:
Paul Jordaan is primarily a centre, outside to be precise.
I do believe he has played at standoff a while back, but only as a centre for us.

Paul Jordaan is primarily a centre, outside to be precise.
I do believe he has played at standoff a while back, but only as a centre for us.

The first time I saw him was in a Junior World Cup and he was number 14, so I have the idea that's their primary position. Later I saw him in few Sharks games at centre, but I always had the idea that he's a wing because he was a wing in Baby Boks

Cheers

Ah yeah, I remember him on the wing.
Think he was shifted out to accommodate Serfontein and Small-Smith.

Really? why couldn't they score a BP win against a poor Australian team. I don't think the SA backline maximises the ball their forwards produce at all.
Yup agree, I would certainly not be calling that backline a "great weapon".

Strongest of this era? Can i ask when this era started?

Ha, yeah, rather ambiguous wasn't it. I guess I was thinking RWC 2011 onwards - just looking at how they have progressed from that 2011 winning team until now. But I think you could look quite a long way back through to when Hansen came on board as an assistant and argue this squad is about as strong, if not better, than it has ever been. The record speaks for itself...I know you could argue some of those past years were better (2005 maybe) but in terms of a squad this one is pretty mean ;)

Ha, yeah, rather ambiguous wasn't it. I guess I was thinking RWC 2011 onwards - just looking at how they have progressed from that 2011 winning team until now. But I think you could look quite a long way back through to when Hansen came on board as an assistant and argue this squad is about as strong, if not better, than it has ever been. The record speaks for itself...I know you could argue some of those past years were better (2005 maybe) but in terms of a squad this one is pretty mean ;)

I would argue that New Zealand's win record of late is boosted by the fact the competition has weakened since the 2011 RWC. South Africa have lost or not been able to play a number of key players like Matfield, Burger, Smith, du Preez and Fourie and have been very much in a transitional phase losing several players at once. Australia have barely been able to field a near fully fit side since the RWC.

The 2005 or 2006 All Blacks side would have faced players like du Preez, Montgomery, Matfield, Burger or Sharpe, Gregan, Latham, Larkham, Mortlock and Giteau. All who are now missing for inferior players. Compare the South Africa and Australia lineups now from the ones at the RWC, I would guess that the lineups on paper look a lot more experienced and stronger than they are now. France used to be able to mount the odd challenge but now have turned into a pretty dire side as well. The challenge to the All Blacks dominance since the RWC has been pretty weak in all honesty, there's an argument that none of the other Tier 1 sides have really improved significantly since the RWC. And for that reason, I don't rate it as highly as some of the past All Blacks sides.

Last edited:
Yup agree, I would certainly not be calling that backline a "great weapon".
Glad someone agrees with me. IMO the Bok forwards are very good, I don't think the backs are anywhere near creative or clinical enough.

Glad someone agrees with me. IMO the Bok forwards are very good, I don't think the backs are anywhere near creative or clinical enough.

The Boks backline aren't as good as the Colombian backline, right?

Latest posts