• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Scotland vs France (Round 4)

Bastareau has improved defensively. That was evident agst Eng. He was criticised in previous seasons for his brittle defensvie play, poor positioning even his taclking ability. This is honestly an area of his game he has worked in Toulon under Laporte. He is having a reasonable championship. I don't see any centres other than Fofana really setting the championship on fire either. The issue at centre is more a partnership issue. PSA has to find the right 12-13 partnership

no issue there though friend. Gimme Fofana-Fritz, it's not the most physically imposing tackle-breaking pair in light of what side want nowadays, but we were good with that.
As for Bastareaud, even in last year's 6N he was good on defense. I believe he started a couple of games (incl. the Twickers one) and he looked very consistent and organized there. And he can really tackle the shhit out of ppl too, an underrated element of his game.
But for all the rest, just a shame. He's at the image of all the things we improve dramatically. Big potential, barely tapped.

Bastareau has improved defensively. That was evident agst Eng. He was criticised in previous seasons for his brittle defensvie play, poor positioning even his taclking ability. This is honestly an area of his game he has worked in Toulon under Laporte. He is having a reasonable championship. I don't see any centres other than Fofana really setting the championship on fire either. The issue at centre is more a partnership issue. PSA has to find the right 12-13 partnership

i'd say that Burrell has had the biggest impact on the championship of any centre, try on debut, try the following game.

Arguably Dunbar is now having a crack as well.

Bastereud is soft, doens't carry well, doesn't really do much - solid in defence (ish). But lets face facts, North was playing out of position against an international 13, he should have had a much harder time than he had. And where was he against Italy?

yeah Dunbar's been nice. Good signs for Scotland. I don't remember Basta much against Italy, it's true...good point.

And Burrell was the final recipient on both those tries of very good schemes (the first spontaneous with the Billy V assist, the second off a textbook lineout play). But he's been quite resourceful besides running good lines, and his typical-of-our-time power physique has worked along with his speed. He may have not scored one against Ireland, but he was bending that defensive curtain and making his presence felt.

Well that's a question though: the best center of the 6N so far...I'd say Fofana or Jamie Roberts (made the break for the try against Italy, and the Warburton try against France).

i'd say that Burrell has had the biggest impact on the championship of any centre, try on debut, try the following game.

Arguably Dunbar is now having a crack as well.

Bastereud is soft, doens't carry well, doesn't really do much - solid in defence (ish). But lets face facts, North was playing out of position against an international 13, he should have had a much harder time than he had. And where was he against Italy?

well you clearly don't watch the Top 14 like 99.99% of this forum but that's ok you're in the norm then.

yes like Bastareau in defense..a brick wall..
Well that's not technically true, he's more like a brick wall with a few empty door frames in it.
If he makes his hit then yeah, he's a good tackler, but he loves rushing out of the line leaving a big gap, or just leaving a tackle for his outside man to make instead.

Well that's not technically true, he's more like a brick wall with a few empty door frames in it.
If he makes his hit then yeah, he's a good tackler, but he loves rushing out of the line leaving a big gap, or just leaving a tackle for his outside man to make instead.

how come he hasn't been exposed more then?? if he is such a liability in defense Eng Ita Wales should have been running past him all day. Its not like they did. In his last game he is not at fault on either of the 2 welsh tries.

well you clearly don't watch the Top 14 like 99.99% of this forum but that's ok you're in the norm then.

I watch plenty of Top14 - i do live in france after all.

But we're talking about international centres in regards to this championship. Start a thread about Basteraud int he Top 14 forum if you want to argue it out there :) lol!

mmm...honestly Basta's fine on defense, and he's had big games there that went unnoticed. It's really his offense that could be so much more...

how come he hasn't been exposed more then?? if he is such a liability in defense Eng Ita Wales should have been running past him all day. Its not like they did. In his last game he is not at fault on either of the 2 welsh tries.

I had a quick look at the stats and he's missed more tackles than Burrell, who's not known for his defence.
Think he's only 2nd to George North in missed tackles for centres

I watch plenty of Top14 - i do live in france after all.

But we're talking about international centres in regards to this championship. Start a thread about Basteraud int he Top 14 forum if you want to argue it out there :) lol!

yes I know and i said that Bastareau's improvement in defense in Top14 with Toulon have in my view translated into his 3 6N games: for such a supposedly lumbering centre blabla, he's has not been exposed in defense.
Im really sorry i wont be starting another thread. Like i said 99.9% of the forum does NOT watch the Top 14. That would be a waste of my time.

I had a quick look at the stats and he's missed more tackles than Burrell, who's not known for his defence.
Think he's only 2nd to George North in missed tackles for centres

not sure what stats you're looking at. You can probably read next week's lotto numbers in your stats. My point still remains: the opposition should have been going thru him and scoring tries thru his channel in that case. THey haven't.

What do you think Matthieu Bastareaud has for breakfast ?

you guys know best. Sco & Irel centres should have a field day. Lets see how many times they run around over thru Mathieu with their eyes closed and score tries all day. Im sure they can't wait.

I think bastereuds defense if fairly good isn't it ? I must say I see him more for club than country . Sometimes he gets done for pace but big guys will have that happen to them .

Gael Fickou is a great replacement for Fofana even if he is a slightly different player . France have an awesome 23 on paper ! Shame maestri can't seem to perform at international level . Is slimani back for this game ?

I think bastereuds defense if fairly good isn't it ? I must say I see him more for club than country . Sometimes he gets done for pace but big guys will have that happen to them .

Gael Fickou is a great replacement for Fofana even if he is a slightly different player . France have an awesome 23 on paper ! Shame maestri can't seem to perform at international level . Is slimani back for this game ?

making up for past remarks there are we ? What an uncharacteristically pleasant and peaceful little post to read there :D

making up for past remarks there are we ? What an uncharacteristically pleasant and peaceful little post to read there :D

Thanks I'm feeling in a good mood today ;) what do you think about it then ?

Another person I can't get my head around why he isn't in the squad is paillague everytime I've seen him which isn't lots and lots but he seems fast alert and very dangerous . I rate him higher than macheneud

Last edited:
Thanks I'm feeling in a good mood today ;) what do you think about it then ?

Another person I can't get my head around why he isn't in the squad is paillague everytime I've seen him which isn't lots and lots but he seems fast alert and very dangerous . I rate him higher than macheneud

Normal he plays for Montpellier!!!!!!!!!!. his only problem he is on the light side only 74kgs, but one of the TOP 14 best tacklers, he has more guts than some of the guys twice his size.

Normal he plays for Montpellier!!!!!!!!!!. his only problem he is on the light side only 74kgs, but one of the TOP 14 best tacklers, he has more guts than some of the guys twice his size.

Yeh when Leicester beat Montpellier with a try in the last minute he was fantastic ! Never stopped playing and like you say has lots of guts ! I think if there's one place you can get away with being slightly small it's at SH

Latest posts