• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Wales vs France (Round 3)

Im being unfair to our Basque brothers. You have to hand it to them for their sheer sense of hospitality towards a thirsty Welsh rugby player. No wonder we're the No1 tourist destination in the world and our Top 14 is awash with so many nice & talented foreigners. :cool:

Of course when guys from the British Isles come over, the change of climate is so sudden, all the differences appear, not gradually but instantly, like a shock. So they'll notice things are different, and I'm sure we're a bit less rigorous with training and the weight rooms in France. I mean just look at the England side and France side, musculature-wise.

it's the sun and the Ricard, they get a bit of a tan and a whiff of that lighter fluid you call pastis and they think their on holiday...

ah thats what it is....now i understand. I can see why some well-informed fans here feel they can blame Toulon for destroying European rugby (no less) esp. their own rugby players. Shame.

Living in a Capital city is completely different, a Pro rugby player is more or less training, watching rugby videos getting treatment etc etc, and they do not get out that often, they go to bed early get up early and spend most of the days with their other team members in the Stadium it also depends on the atmosphere in that particular club, quite often you have the groups French, Islanders Aussies and Kiwis and the Brits, these fractions can isolate certain players if they are of the more quieter nature and therefore the homesick sindrome can easily happen. We had one player at Montpellier when he arrived had the same problems but after a 3 day mini altitude camp where there was lots of sillyness , he found his place and is now fine. Not all the clubs look into how some foreign players adapt to their own situations and this does cause problemsSexton will not be the last to feel lonely, France is not necessary for everyone, the French are very different sometime exasperating and arrogant but that is their way and often you have to change in intergrate, i have lived here for years and love the country and the people, love it just as it is, but its not for everyone.

Living in a Capital city is completely different, a Pro rugby player is more or less training, watching rugby videos getting treatment etc etc, and they do not get out that often, they go to bed early get up early and spend most of the days with their other team members in the Stadium it also depends on the atmosphere in that particular club, quite often you have the groups French, Islanders Aussies and Kiwis and the Brits, these fractions can isolate certain players if they are of the more quieter nature and therefore the homesick sindrome can easily happen. We had one player at Montpellier when he arrived had the same problems but after a 3 day mini altitude camp where there was lots of sillyness , he found his place and is now fine. Not all the clubs look into how some foreign players adapt to their own situations and this does cause problemsSexton will not be the last to feel lonely, France is not necessary for everyone, the French are very different sometime exasperating and arrogant but that is their way and often you have to change in intergrate, i have lived here for years and love the country and the people, love it just as it is, but its not for everyone.

Of course. it's a very indvidual thing. But sexton highlighted that the issues were away from the club, day to day life... he was fine at Racing and struggling to settle in France.

I do understand the Parisians are, uhm, special.

Im being unfair to our Basque brothers. You have to hand it to them for their sheer sense of hospitality towards a thirsty Welsh rugby player. No wonder we're the No1 tourist destination in the world and our Top 14 is awash with so many nice & talented foreigners. :cool:

:p t'es con !

it's the sun and the Ricard, they get a bit of a tan and a whiff of that lighter fluid you call pastis and they think their on holiday...

behhh....not my thing ! but what you say about Paris is interesting. I only visit it about once a year so I'm a total tourist there myself. I'd have imagined you still needed a little bit more ability in language there...huge city or not. I know people really hate hearing too many foreign languages there in particular, let alone all of France.
I'm sure you've been sent packing at least a couple of times asking people for directions or wtvr in English !
They can be IMPOSSIBLE but that's an entire debate of its own, which I've had enough times anyways in my time...

:p t'es con !

behhh....not my thing ! but what you say about Paris is interesting. I only visit it about once a year so I'm a total tourist there myself. I'd have imagined you still needed a little bit more ability in language there...huge city or not. I know people really hate hearing too many foreign languages there in particular, let alone all of France.
I'm sure you've been sent packing at least a couple of times asking people for directions or wtvr in English !
They can be IMPOSSIBLE but that's an entire debate of its own, which I've had enough times anyways in my time...

Why do you think i'd ask directions in English? "ou est ?" is not that hard to remember :)

To be honest the only time I've been sent packing is in any kind of argument in which the french (not just parisians) normally resort to telling me to "***** off home to your own country" in a laughable engleeeeesh accent whilst screaing the occaisonal "putain" in my or my wifes face.

Why do you think i'd ask directions in English? "ou est ?" is not that hard to remember :)

To be honest the only time I've been sent packing is in any kind of argument in which the french (not just parisians) normally resort to telling me to "***** off home to your own country" in a laughable engleeeeesh accent whilst screaing the occaisonal "putain" in my or my wifes face.

will you be ok out there on your own in our big nasty country? are you not coping well? :D

will you be ok out there on your own in our big nasty country? are you not coping well? :D

I've been here long enough that it doesn't bother me.... I was soft on the pitch even softer off it. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts