• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Commonwealth Games 7's (26&27/07/14)

Has to be said: Whenever I go to a rugby game it feels like something's missing. As SimonG points out: it's having bricks and broken bottles thrown at me on the way out of the stadium by passionate fans.

Has to be said: Whenever I go to a rugby game it feels like something's missing. As SimonG points out: it's having bricks and broken bottles thrown at me on the way out of the stadium by passionate fans.

Back in the 80s, can I borrow your delorean?

My comment wasn't to denigrate Rugby btw...it's a different culture. Gaelic football in Ireland has similarities to Rugby (no fan segregation...sandwiches and flasks of tea before kick off)...and I loved it. It's akin to a day out at the Rugby. Many folks prefer bonhomie over intense rivalry and atmosphere.

My comment wasn't to denigrate Rugby btw...it's a different culture. Gaelic football in Ireland has similarities to Rugby (no fan segregation...sandwiches and flasks of tea before kick off)...and I loved it. It's akin to a day out at the Rugby. Many folks prefer bonhomie over intense rivalry and atmosphere.

I don't know if I'd agree. I've been to French grounds like Clermont Perpignan Toulon and few others and it was an atmosphere that I look back and say wow but felt very intimidating at time. Also I think Kingsholm and Welford Road are 2 I'd say I've been to that really get going. I'd hope Thomond does something too. Difference is rugby can step away after game and have a drink with rival and become friends.

I've heard stories from my Cardiff City supporting mates that show it's something that still happens far far too often in football.

Also I don't think I've ever had sandwiches and a flask of tea before a rugby match... not even when I was little watching Wales with my Dad!

Last edited:
Few reasons for this;

1.football grounds are built so the crowd are as close to the field as possible...a running track is seen as an abomination. Murrayfield has a pretty big gap between the crowd and the field.

2.those who attended the 7s weren't your normal Rugby crowd...many of those in attendance would have brought their own excitement at being at an event in the Commonwealth games, also being in Glasgow there would have been more of a working class crowd.

3.Sevens isn't bogged down by line outs and scrums...open running is what most folk want to see. Always loved watching Fiji when Serevi was running the show.

In terms of the standard XV man Rugby, 7s is probably a tad too loose (one break and your away)...13 man Rugby in this form would be just about right I'd say. No heffers, no bogged down play...13 athletes playing attacking Rugby (in other words Rugby league but with Rugby Union's tackle rule)

image.png

"Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority big mouth!"

A tunnock's tea cake to whoever gets the film from which the quote is in (cheating means no prize)

2014 Commonwealth Games 7s 267/07/14

Something I noticed for this Commonwealth Games is that Australia makes a much bigger deal of out the Commonwealth Games than Canada does.

Canada finished third in the metal tables behind England and Australia, and ahead of Scotland and India.

Latest posts