• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Commonwealth Games 7's (26&27/07/14)

Yup^

They have to - the World Series counts as an international window.
Obviously the clubs will tell their players that they aren't going to get a new contract if they do it... (Leicester have already said as much) but if the player wants to then the club have to allow it.

Does seem pretty crazy that the P.I. nations/USA/Canada all field 7s sides, as can the likes of Spain, Portugal, Kenya - yet Ireland don't.
I know it's a case of money, but if the above can all find the cash/justify it, then......

Remember IRFU have a lot more national teams though and own the provinces. Like most wouldn't have A team, 18's 19's 20s and women's too. They'd usually have 1 or other and provinces have all these each too.

Regards Olympics why isn't Commonwealth games treated like international window?

I guess it's because it doesn't affect some of the National teams. Like France, Argentina, Italy, USA to name but a few.

But while I understand that. For example if Ireland choose not to enter Olympics will that mean provinces have an advantage. Also do we think teams like NZ will just keep with 7 series guys or use 15s players.
And how/who will be over Great Britain. It'd be like 7s Lions without none of Irish

But while I understand that. For example if Ireland choose not to enter Olympics will that mean provinces have an advantage. Also do we think teams like NZ will just keep with 7 series guys or use 15s players.
And how/who will be over Great Britain. It'd be like 7s Lions without none of Irish
If England (as the highest finisher of Scotland, England and Wales in the last one) finish in the top 4 of the 2014-15 Sevens world Series there will be a GB team.

Edited to add
Was it just me that thought the Australia strip was the wrong colour.

I hope Scotland look to use Ibrox for a few fixtures in the future. Regardless of whether it was a one off tournament or not, the atmosphere sounded miles better than it does at Murrayfield.

Always great to see blue at Ibrox.

8E4FC85D7FD78159F4C4D2E98BB760.jpg

Ireland men's sevens team competed in Rugby World Cup Sevens from 1993 to 2009.

Women's team participates in world series.

I hope Scotland look to use Ibrox for a few fixtures in the future. Regardless of whether it was a one off tournament or not, the atmosphere sounded miles better than it does at Murrayfield.

Few reasons for this;

1.football grounds are built so the crowd are as close to the field as possible...a running track is seen as an abomination. Murrayfield has a pretty big gap between the crowd and the field.

2.those who attended the 7s weren't your normal Rugby crowd...many of those in attendance would have brought their own excitement at being at an event in the Commonwealth games, also being in Glasgow there would have been more of a working class crowd.

3.Sevens isn't bogged down by line outs and scrums...open running is what most folk want to see. Always loved watching Fiji when Serevi was running the show.

In terms of the standard XV man Rugby, 7s is probably a tad too loose (one break and your away)...13 man Rugby in this form would be just about right I'd say. No heffers, no bogged down play...13 athletes playing attacking Rugby (in other words Rugby league but with Rugby Union's tackle rule)

Always great to see blue at Ibrox.

8E4FC85D7FD78159F4C4D2E98BB760.jpg
Christ it's like the world's ugliest dole que.
It would really be in Scotland's interest to move down to a smaller stadium, but I imagine they need to make as much money off Murrayfield as possible. Edinburgh seriously need to sort themselves somewhere new to play.
Was at the meeting and it actually came down to having an A team or having a 7s team on the actual 7s circuit. Was shocked to see it's actually more profitable and less expensive to have a 7s team play in 7s series than have A team.
But think your right we won't be having 7s team any time soon
Any word on who will play for Munster at the 7's in Limerick MM? I can guess a few like GVDH etc.

Last edited:
It would really be in Scotland's interest to move down to a smaller stadium, but I imagine they need to make as much money off Murrayfield as possible. Edinburgh seriously need to sort themselves somewhere new to play.

Any word on who will play for Munster at the 7's in Limerick MM? I can guess a few like GVDH etc.
alot off people wouldn't like that at all, i even check tickets just now for scotland vs new zealand and there is nearly no seats left. and when its the six nations and its scotland vs england it would already been sold out by now.

GVDH CJ Copeland and Luke O Dea seem to be definite. Trying to get Zebo freed. And well Sherry a serious possibility to as is Cathal at scrum half. J Holland too

Being one of the few people who still doesn't have SimonG on ignore, I'd like to address his 'debate'.....

1.football grounds are built so the crowd are as close to the field as possible...a running track is seen as an abomination. Murrayfield has a pretty big gap between the crowd and the field.

Wembley is an excellent example of this, as are most premiership grounds with 'as much closeness' as 10yd can provide. (unlike places like the Millenium Stadium, where you feel like you're 'getting in the way' at times.)

2.those who attended the 7s weren't your normal Rugby crowd...many of those in attendance would have brought their own excitement at being at an event in the Commonwealth games, also being in Glasgow there would have been more of a working class crowd.

Yes, because everyone knows that Glasgow doesn't let 'the bloody middle classes' turn up for game (or even exist in the city)

3.Sevens isn't bogged down by line outs and scrums...open running is what most folk want to see. Always loved watching Fiji when Serevi was running the show.

Yes, sevens requires very little thinking. Hence the appreciation that those who were ruthlessly made to play the game, with scrums, lineouts and rules, have come to have for the simpler game.

In terms of the standard XV man Rugby, 7s is probably a tad too loose (one break and your away)...13 man Rugby in this form would be just about right I'd say. No heffers, no bogged down play...13 athletes playing attacking Rugby (in other words Rugby league but with Rugby Union's tackle rule)

Please go away.

Being one of the few people who still doesn't have SimonG on ignore, I'd like to address his 'debate'.....

Wembley is an excellent example of this, as are most premiership grounds with 'as much closeness' as 10yd can provide. (unlike places like the Millenium Stadium, where you feel like you're 'getting in the way' at times.)

Yes, because everyone knows that Glasgow doesn't let 'the bloody middle classes' turn up for game (or even exist in the city)

Yes, sevens requires very little thinking. Hence the appreciation that those who were ruthlessly made to play the game, with scrums, lineouts and rules, have come to have for the simpler game.

Please go away.

The prerequisite for a new football stadium is being in close vicinity to the pitch. Most have the box shape for this reason, while bowl designs incorporate lower seating at the front (Olympic stadium which West Ham will use).

Glasgow is a working class city (as opposed to Edinburgh) and Glaswegians have attended venues in their droves. It's a different crowd.

I loved the Millenium stadium (far better than Wembley for the Cup finals). It set a world record for loudest crowd at a sports game in 2005 when Liverpool played Chelsea. http://talksport.com/football/worlds-noisiest-football-fans-revealed-13091960737

Rugby doesn't have Football's atmosphere (different crowd) so switching a game to another stadium wont change a thing. The hush silence for a player taking a kick, the lack of vitriolic rivalry, the lack of opposing fans in different sections, the lack of chants...Rugby is a "day out", and in the case of Wales...where folk can wear funny daffodils on their head. It's jovial, Bon homie, beer in plastic cups, tea and sandwiches out in the car park before games. It's a different culture to football so really the atmosphere at a Commonwealth games is not something that can be replicated.

Surely if the Scottish National team played at Ibrox that would turn away Catholics? Also surely you wouldn't want to pay to hire a stadium when you have a decent one of your own. I still think it is strange that Scotland has both Hampden Park and Murrayfield. No other country as small as Scotland would have so many big stadiums, would they? I guess Scotland will soon be passed by Qatar.

Anyway, I think the lesson for New Zealand after that tournament is that 7's is a bit of a lottery. You can prepare well and still come off second best. The Olympics will be an even tougher event. Unfortunately some people have already locked us in as favourites for gold. That may be the case but there is a far better chance of another team prevailing.

Latest posts