• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Crusaders v Highlanders (Round 19)

Crusaders are looking dangerous. Hope somebody knocks them off before the grand final.

The Highlanders on the other hand are in my opinion the least threatening playoff side and will almost certainly be thrashed by either the Sharks or Crusaders next week. Very poor results in the last two weeks.

Jeez you'd just about have to say the Highlanders would be happy to be going to africa after the last two weeks! But I dunno the fact they've hardly thrown a punch is pretty annoying really.

They just seem to lack a few key players to really challenge the top sides. They might rate themselves to atleast be within 30 points of the Sharks though hopefully.....

Yep im kinda hoping the sharks dont get over the stormers by the required amount.

Last edited:
Crusaders are looking dangerous. Hope somebody knocks them off before the grand final.

The Highlanders on the other hand are in my opinion the least threatening playoff side and will almost certainly be thrashed by either the Sharks or Crusaders next week. Very poor results in the last two weeks.

There is no doubt the Highlanders are the weakest of the playoff sides. Their winning record (won 8, lost 8), and a points differential of -41 is pretty clear evidence of this! However I would be surprised if the Sharks thrashed us this weekend. The Highlanders are a much better side than they have showed in the last two weeks, as neither week they seemed mentally up for it. The Sharks will certainly be firm favourites, but I think it will be a lot tighter than many are predicting, and the Highlanders could pull off the upset. Last time the Highlanders were in Durban (a couple of months ago) they beat the (then) table topping Sharks by almost 20 points (4 tries to none!) - while a repeat performance is unlikely it does suggest the Highlanders shouldn't be completely written off.....

There is no doubt the Highlanders are the weakest of the playoff sides. Their winning record (won 8, lost 8), and a points differential of -41 is pretty clear evidence of this! However I would be surprised if the Sharks thrashed us this weekend. The Highlanders are a much better side than they have showed in the last two weeks, as neither week they seemed mentally up for it. The Sharks will certainly be firm favourites, but I think it will be a lot tighter than many are predicting, and the Highlanders could pull off the upset. Last time the Highlanders were in Durban (a couple of months ago) they beat the (then) table topping Sharks by almost 20 points (4 tries to none!) - while a repeat performance is unlikely it does suggest the Highlanders shouldn't be completely written off.....
Will be tough for the Sharks. We beat the two sides above us, and lost to two below!

Will be tough for the Sharks. We beat the two sides above us, and lost to two below!

Its a very intresting playoff scenario im going to assume the sharks will scrape though against the HL as they've just been terrible the last two weeks. So Saders at home to Sharks who would again rate themselves to pull that off.

Brumbies for me are probably a bit of a bogey side for the Waratahs they are fully capable of beating them if they are on song. The Brumbies have sort of seemed to drop off the pace as the years gone on though.

Its totally the Waratahs to loose though super easy conferance ride then get a week off and then likely play another Aussie side. I give the Chiefs about a 20% chance of beating the Brumbies at home. Especially after their disgraceful performance over there earlier in the year.

I have to add in the end the conferance system has worked out semi fair. IMO it would of been pretty poor if the force had managed to scrape in. Clearly the NZ sides deserve the third position even if the Highlanders have fallen flat a bit.

In saying that while im a Landers supporter I suspect the canes could of done more damage come the finals.

IMO its amazing what a one point win will do to confidence. The Crusaders and Highlanders for me have been a different sides since the Saders shaded the HL a few weeks back.

Crusaders are looking more the complete side every week - they could be hard to stop at this stage, and whilst I've been riding a great wave with the 'Tahs this season, I actually felt last night against the Reds - in spite of the dominant score - showed the we're simply not a complete side without Dennis to call the line outs.

Either way, I'm actually already quite nervous about our home semi - let alone a possible final against the 7 time champs.

Crusaders are looking more the complete side every week - they could be hard to stop at this stage, and whilst I've been riding a great wave with the 'Tahs this season, I actually felt last night against the Reds - in spite of the dominant score - showed the we're simply not a complete side without Dennis to call the line outs.

Either way, I'm actually already quite nervous about our home semi - let alone a possible final against the 7 time champs.

Yeah, I also think that Saders could be the toughest opponent for Tahs, but still needed to know if they are going to face, would be the great final match

I was at the game and can say the general consensus was the ref was horrible, even the crusaders fans were cringing, how did it play in TV?

can some one tell me what the penalty towards the end if the game was for, we were driving towards their line and he suddenly blew it up and marched us back ten, everyone seemed to agree it seemed like it was just for getting too close to the saders line

And nadolos try was shocking saders sheparding, clearing out from the side and a forward pass in the buildup

Last edited:
Yeah, I also think that Saders could be the toughest opponent for Tahs, but still needed to know if they are going to face, would be the great final match

Its only the Saders forwards you need to worry about though. If the Waratahs stop them in their tracks they'll be home and hosed as they clearly have the better backs its easier said than done though, only the Sharks have managed it this year and that was a very strange game indeed.

The Saders are only putting so many points on teams because of that forward pack totally dominating.

The Crusaders looked solid I thought. Not spectacular, but their defence was strong and their set-piece was pretty well impregnable. Carter's kicking was strangely off, and they have show that similar tendency to shuffle the ball side to side, but over all I thought the 'Saders were pretty good.

I was at the game and can say the general consensus was the ref was horrible, even the crusaders fans were cringing, how did it play in TV?

can some one tell me what the penalty towards the end if the game was for, we were driving towards their line and he suddenly blew it up and marched us back ten, everyone seemed to agree it seemed like it was just for getting too close to the saders line

And nadolos try was shocking saders sheparding, clearing out from the side and a forward pass in the buildup

Watching the game on TV I din't think the ref was too bad. He certainly made a few mistakes, but I don't think they favoured either side in particular. Allowing the Nadolo try was pretty bad though - if he had checked that with the TMO they may well have seen two forward passes and some obstruction.....

I think the penalty you are referring two was due to a 'truck and trailer' (as it used to be known - these days it is just called obstruction).

Its only the Saders forwards you need to worry about though. If the Waratahs stop them in their tracks they'll be home and hosed as they clearly have the better backs its easier said than done though, only the Sharks have managed it this year and that was a very strange game indeed.

The Saders are only putting so many points on teams because of that forward pack totally dominating.

I don't think you should be quite so quick to write off the Crusaders backs. I certainly agree they still get far too lateral at times, but they have looked a lot better in recent weeks with Carter back directing the show, and Read running out wide. On the rare times this season that the backs have actually clicked they have looked incredibly dangerous, unfortunately they really haven't functioned to their potential at all this season. I do think one of the few weaknesses in this Tahs side is their defense in the wider channels. Given the Crusaders probably get the ball into these wider channels more than any other side in the competition I feel they have the best chance of any side of beating the Waratahs in Sydney.

Latest posts