• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Crusaders vs Sharks (Round 14)

False!

The charcteristic of Jake White's teams are being competitive and winning matches, be it Springboks, Brumbies, Sharks...

Yeah, that too. Anyway I wanted to say that the style of play is one of the characteristics of Jake White's teams.

The Sharks might not play very attractive rugby but they showed a lot of determination today. Their defence was solid and at no point you could tell that the Crusaders had one extra man on the pitch. The Crusaders were pathetic: their only try was a lucky fluke and they seemed scared of the Sharks by kicking all those penalties instead of going for touch.

It was a match full of mistakes but I enjoyed the drama and unlikely ending. When I saw the red card I thought it would be a total trashing.

I love the whole debate. We beat the Crusaders on their turf. That's all that matters. Nobody remembers the flashy passes once the silverware is won. I don't care.

The only reason Australia is so eager to play "entertaining" rugby is because Rugby Union is the 4th sport in the country so they have to attract people instead of playing to win.

Did I mis-hear the commentator, or did he really say "Seven and half minutes to go....for both teams".

I love the whole debate. We beat the Crusaders on their turf. That's all that matters. Nobody remembers the flashy passes once the silverware is won. I don't care.

The only reason Australia is so eager to play "entertaining" rugby is because Rugby Union is the 4th sport in the country so they have to attract people instead of playing to win.

Haha, yeah I don't care either. Being flashy isn't always a good thing, just look at the Cheetahs.

And I wonder what will sanzar's comments be after the Brumbies scored a typical South African and English try as he called it, against the Cheetahs tonight...

Grats to the Shark beating the Crusaders at home with 14 men, showed a lot of guts and balls

What a result! I only caught the last half hour, but from what I saw, the skills from both sides were shocking, and the Sharks certainly gave the Crusaders some good opportunities, as they did for us. Kyle Cooper plays maybe five minutes this season, and when finally given more time, the lad wins us the game! We look a far ways off a championship side, but I hope this is the kickstart we so badly needed. Already going home with a guaranteed two wins, better result than what many gave us.

We played for an hour with 14 men (and ten with 13) in a place where SA teams haven't won in over a decade, against a team we rarely beat. At least we can discard a few of those old 'blocks'.

Last edited:
Congrats to the Sharks. Not enough credit is being given to them in this thread.

I agree with Heineken, a win is a win, and when you are down to 14 men for most of the game, and 13 for some of it, you really have to pull something out of the bag to even come close, let alone win away from home to "NZs best" side. If the ABs win the next world cup 3 - 0 with a drop goal I could care less, so long as they win :)

Great win IMHO and well deserved.

Very average from the Saders but its a tough comp and their season will not be defined by one game. Lets see how they bounce back and lets see where they finish the season off. I agree though, Blackadder could be a gonner after this season if they dont get their act together!

The BIG shame is the stomping. It was probably a bit of a brain explosion, you can see what happened, although no excuses, It was a shocking act! Sadly this will be remembered more than the Sharks win I suspect.

EDIT: I have a bunch of $ riding on the Sharks winning their conference and a little more on them winning the regular season. I;m a happy man with that result ;)

Last edited:
What a result! I only caught the last half hour, but from what I saw, the skills from both sides were shocking, and the Sharks certainly gave the Crusaders some good opportunities, as they did for us. Kyle Cooper plays maybe five minutes this season, and when finally given more time, the lad wins us the game! We look a far ways off a championship side, but I hope this is the kickstart we so badly needed. Already going home with a guaranteed two wins, better result than what many gave us.

We played for an hour with 14 men (and ten with 13) in a place where SA teams haven't won in over a decade, against a team we rarely beat. At least we can discard a few of those old 'blocks'.

Agreed I thought the Sharks gave the Saders untold opportunities to win that game thats the crazy thing about it. Facts are facts the Crusaders attack is still terrible... the Brumbies game must of just been a fluke its about the only way you can explain it!

I have no doubt Jake White knew if they D up on this side they'd likely push them pretty hard. This is why imo there's no way the Saders can win this comp every team in the comp should be on notice now that if you D up properly on the Saders they cant do jack.

Agreed I thought the Sharks gave the Saders untold opportunities to win that game thats the crazy thing about it. Facts are facts the Crusaders attack is still terrible... the Brumbies game must of just been a fluke its about the only way you can explain it!

I have no doubt Jake White knew if they D up on this side they'd likely push them pretty hard. This is why imo there's no way the Saders can win this comp every team in the comp should be on notice now that if you D up properly on the Saders they cant do jack.

In the last month or so the Crusaders have also put 50 points on both the Cheetahs and Reds, so I don't see how you could call putting 40 on the Brumbies a 'fluke'. They are certainly far from perfect, but when they fire they are capable of scoring a lot of tries. Adding Keiran Read (aka the best player in the world) will no doubt improve there attack, Dagg (though I don't rate him highly) adds a lot more than Taylor at fullback, and that I understand that Dan Carter fella (who they will have back after the mid-year tests) is pretty handy too.....

While agree that the Crusaders attack is too structured at times and can be shut down to a degree by a strong defense, I don't know any team in the competition that can't be shut down by a strong defense. I don't think any of the other teams will have learnt any thing they don't already know - if you play good defense the opposition won't score many tries, especially if that opposition plays very poorly.....

I don't think so. Union in Australia has to compete against fast sports like Footy and Rugby League, then Aussies love contact sports with a lot of speed, it's part of their idiosyncrasies. Then a slow game doesn't attract crowds in Australia, they must compete against the AFL and NRL by fans, then they have to make a quick game with many skills, League supporters hate slow games in Union, in Australia there are more League supporters than Union supporters, then they have to make a play resemblance to the League and footy.

I'm convinced that's part of their idiosyncrasy, a quick and skilful play. I'm following a lot of Aussie players on Twitter and Instagram, some of them attend AFL's games and NRL, they really love a entertaining and fast game.

Lewies, Mtembu both impressed in the pack. Considering some of the second rows SA has capped in the past few years, Lewies certainly merits it.
Jordaan at 12 and Reinach seem to have impressed quite a few, all I can say is told you so!
Shoutout to Tim Swiel with his late penalty kick, good nerves on the kid! To think some dismissed him this early in his career. Well done lad, stay fit and fight it out with Fred this autumn. (We also have Baby Bok Jean-Luc du Plessis coming through!!)

In the last month or so the Crusaders have also put 50 points on both the Cheetahs and Reds, so I don't see how you could call putting 40 on the Brumbies a 'fluke'. They are certainly far from perfect, but when they fire they are capable of scoring a lot of tries. Adding Keiran Read (aka the best player in the world) will no doubt improve there attack, Dagg (though I don't rate him highly) adds a lot more than Taylor at fullback, and that I understand that Dan Carter fella (who they will have back after the mid-year tests) is pretty handy too.....

While agree that the Crusaders attack is too structured at times and can be shut down to a degree by a strong defense, I don't know any team in the competition that can't be shut down by a strong defense. I don't think any of the other teams will have learnt any thing they don't already know - if you play good defense the opposition won't score many tries, especially if that opposition plays very poorly.....

Cheetas and Reds in particular have been very average though so i dont think they are a good example to rate the Saders performances off which is why I said the Brumbies game seemed a bit of a fluke. IMO thats about 4 or so games where they have been diabolically bad and are a bit lucky to have as many wins as they do. Every other NZ side has more BP than they do.

I disagree about not being able to shut them down with a good defence. Its clear to me if you defend well against them they dont have a clue. Honestly the Saders only consistent attacking weapon is when they start pinching down each side of the ruck and seem to blow through at times with their big ball carriers.

Cheetas and Reds in particular have been very average though so i dont think they are a good example to rate the Saders performances off which is why I said the Brumbies game seemed a bit of a fluke. IMO thats about 4 or so games where they have been diabolically bad and are a bit lucky to have as many wins as they do. Every other NZ side has more BP than they do.

I disagree about not being able to shut them down with a good defence. Its clear to me if you defend well against them they dont have a clue. Honestly the Saders only consistent attacking weapon is when they start pinching down each side of the ruck and seem to blow through at times with their big ball carriers.

That's right - every side puts 50 points on the Reds and Cheetahs... oh wait...;)

No-one is claiming the Cheetahs or Reds are any good this season (though the Cheetahs did just beat the Brumbies), however if you can put 50 points on any side it shows you have a pretty good attack if you click (it has only happened 3 times this season - twice by the Crusaders)! As I also pointed out the Crusaders do have some serious firepower coming back soon too....

I never said the Crusaders couldn't be shut down (to some degree) by a strong defense. My point was that any side in the competition can be shut down by a strong defense. Can you name a side that can't be? All of the top teams this season have had a number of games where they have struggled to score many (if any) tries.....

Last edited:
That's right - every side puts 50 points on the Reds and Cheetahs... oh wait...;)

No-one is claiming the Cheetahs or Reds are any good this season (though the Cheetahs did just beat the Brumbies), however if you can put 50 points on any side it shows you have a pretty good attack if you click (it has only happened 3 times this season - twice by the Crusaders)! As I also pointed out the Crusaders do have some serious firepower coming back soon too....

I never said the Crusaders couldn't be shut down (to some degree) by a strong defense. My point was that any side in the competition can be shut down by a strong defense. Can you name a side that can't be? All of the top teams this season have had a number of games where they have struggled to score many (if any) tries.....

Yeah but see I dont think any side has been fantastic on attack this year... maybe the hurricanes at times... the chiefs also but nowhere near previous years. Crusaders have just been downright terrible I still think the Brumbies game was a one off. Will see over the next few weeks if they can score more than 3 tries against the Highlanders you can colour me surprised.

Used to it? Mate, I'm well used to it. So used to it in fact, that I'm sick to death of it.

Didnt Austraila win the 1999 WC with a solid league style defense and a good kicking game?

How were the sharks meant to play with 14 men on the pitch?

Didnt Austraila win the 1999 WC with a solid league style defense and a good kicking game?

Australia did indeed win with a brilliant defence, and had a great kicking game, but were highly adaptable and they also scored their fair share of tries.

The difference is the "shawks" play 10 man rugby every bloody week. Against the Brumbies last week they had a full roster but kicked the ball 40+ times... That's just Jake White rugby in a nutshell, and it's painful viewing.

Don't bother, his "league-style is the best style"-approach is blinding his point of view. He's forgetting a lot of things that Australia do or did that's similar to SA's boring play style.

Every team tries to slow the game down when they are a man down. It's pretty straight forward, if you have less players on the pitch, you have no choice to slow the game down and spoil the play as much as possible to prevent the opposition from drawing in defenders and running you ragged.

I actually wish all teams will show this much guts and balls when they get a card against them. It's too often that teams just give up and just try to not lose by too many points as they expect.

I actually wish all teams will show this much guts and balls when they get a card against them. It's too often that teams just give up and just try to not lose by too many points as they expect.

I actually agree with the praise for the effort in surviving the game, but it was still a crap and ill-disciplined match, riddled by errors and punctuated by an absolute lack of balls on behalf of the Crusaders (seriously, going for penalties when you're playing a team with 13 men?).

Latest posts