• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Highlanders v Blues (Round 2)

At the end of the day mate you may well be right! You have certainly the credentials having watched most of their games, and I have not watched the same amount of Highlanders games as you. I base much of my opinions on your players on what I've seen of them in ITM cup as I do Super Rugby. Anyway we can agree to disagree on it, no problems :)

To change the tone slightly Jabby, how do you see the NZ conference going? and overall for your team?

I think that if they cant get Benji sorted at 10 the Blues are done like a dinner for quite some years. Even the Highlanders have a better first five than them! All those backs they have are totally wasted if nobody is good enough to create something at 10.

Honestly the only reason they did any good last year was because of Ranger. Now that he's gone... i would not be suprised to see them last in the NZ conference. But the acid test will certainly be this week against the Crusaders who looked i thought very very good against the Chiefs (I actually thought they totally dominated at times) just silly mistakes let them down which you kinda expect in the first game of the season.

I think under this conferance system one NZ team is going to end up the whipping boy every year. If the Blues dont sort their **** out in the next three weeks its going to be them....

It really is unbelievable that Gareth Anscombe is still down at the Chiefs as back up full back (or is he backup 10 more this year)? But you can really blame him.

How many awesome fullbacks to the Chiefs have its ridiculous?

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2014/rugby/story/204939.html

After reading that Jaime Joseph is a complete muppet if he does not try to lure Gareth down their for 2015... Anscombe needs a starting 10 position in either the Blues or Highlanders imo. I had totally forgotten he was only 23!

Last edited:
At the end of the day mate you may well be right! You have certainly the credentials having watched most of their games, and I have not watched the same amount of Highlanders games as you. I base much of my opinions on your players on what I've seen of them in ITM cup as I do Super Rugby. Anyway we can agree to disagree on it, no problems :)

To change the tone slightly Jabby, how do you see the NZ conference going? and overall for your team?

Best case we'll finish 3rd, saders and chiefs at the top but the other three are guesswork

edit, the odt's player ratings...not sure i agree completely

Ben Smith 6.5/10: Did not get too many chances on the counter but looked dangerous when he did, kicked well getting good distance off his clearances and ran a good line to score the third try.
Richard Buckman 7.5/10: Outstanding under the high ball, getting bombed a lot early and taking everything. Put in a good spot tackle too, while also being tidy in everything else he did.
Malakai Fekitoa 6.5/10: Hit the line hard every time he touched the ball, looking threatening and scoring a brilliant try. Loses half a mark for kicking the ball away at the end of the game and giving the Blues a shot at a bonus point.
Shaun Treeby 6/10: Was tidy throughout the whole game, made a couple of runs in the second half, mainly just did his job, which was okay on a night like this when others were firing so well.
Patrick Osborne 7/10: Looked dangerous when he had the ball and did well to secure the ball in the air off Charles Piutau for the bonus point try. His defence scrubbed up well too, which was good to see.
Lima Sopoaga 5.5/10: Mainly distributed for his outside backs and generally kicked well other than a couple of poor ones, goal kicked well too. Needs to run more though, to have more of an impact on the game.
Aaron Smith 8.5/10: Passed well, made a couple of good box kicks, scored an opportunistic try and even got back and made a try saving tackle.
Nasi Manu 7.5/10: Worked hard all night, getting to the breakdown quickly, making tackles and looking to snaffle opposition ball at the breakdown.
Shane Christie 7/10: Similar to Manu. Made his tackles and did a good job disrupting ball at the breakdown.
Gareth Evans 7.5/10: Tackled aggressively and was prominent on defence, while also making a handful of good runs with ball in hand in the open.
Jarrad Hoeata 8/10: Never stopped tackling and was the pick of the Highlanders forwards. Looked far more like the player of 2011 who made the All Blacks.
Brad Thorn 6/10: Left the field early with injury, but made a few tackles including a good one which saw him change direction to catch his man on the inside.
Chris King 6.5/10: Worked hard on defence and popped up here and there on attack. Cleaned up the turnover that led to Fekitoa's try and did his job at scrum time.
Liam Coltman 6.5/10: Was busy around the field and secured the turnover which led to the second try. Loses half a mark for his lineout throwing.
Kane Hames 7/10: Got involved in the tight, getting to rucks and making his tackles. Did well at scrum time too, especially considering he was going up against Charlie Faumuina.

Ged Robinson 5/10: Came on after the Blues started playing better and consequently it was harder for him to make an impact. Tried to get around the field and did okay.

Last edited:

Latest posts