• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] Argentina v South Africa in Salta (23/08/2014)

Don't forget the mauls:

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
^ whewww, forgot about that. Awesome stuff from the Argies. Man, they just played South Africa so fkng well those tests...and sorry, that maul defense ain't got nothin' to do with rain or wtvr. It's a shame the Pumas were so average on paper individually, because as a unit they were fkng awesome.

This is to hoping the Pumas win at least the one game this tournament, at least the one, they deserve it so, so, so badly. Hopefully in New Zealand in a couple of weeks.... by, like...20 points. Would be nice.

^ whewww, forgot about that. Awesome stuff from the Argies. Man, they just played South Africa so fkng well those tests...and sorry, that maul defense ain't got nothin' to do with rain or wtvr. It's a shame the Pumas were so average on paper individually, because as a unit they were fkng awesome.
They aren't so average individually, it's just they dont get the recognition of other teams. If Juan Martin Hernandez was a kiwi or an aussie he would be held as one of the greatest of the modern era, but he's argentinian, so he doesn't get what he deserves. Albacete, as you should know, is one of the best locks in the world but when we did the poll of the best he isn't even in the voting. Players like Sanchez/Tuculet/Imhoff aren't talked about after the game for five minutes even though they have the biggest impact on the game's that they play. In the last game Creevy was sensational but how much did they go on about his performance ?

Note as you say what happens to French players being overlooked for their top 14 form, alot of Argentina players get overlooked for international form.

^ nah, that's just not true. Hernandez is still quite good today, but he went from being one of the world's best backs to completely leaving the surface of the Earth, until finding good form again around 2012. Then he went a little discreet. He's good again these days, but he's not one of the world's best center/fullbacks at all.
I agree Albacete is good, but I don't know honestly if he deserves to be with the very best, there's a reason he's not held in that high regard. Like, he's not Top 5 right now.

I agree Sanchez is crazy underrated and it does pi$s me right the fk off. Ffs, what does he have to do for ppl to start accepting him into their privileged circle of Dan Carters, Jonny Sextons and Bernard Foleys, there are fkng good flyhalves in other countries, like France or Argentina.
Urdapilleta is virtually unknown when he is the metronome of Oyonnax, a damn fine team run by him.
Imhoff scores a fantastic try in Cardiff in a resounding Puma win in 2012, ppl start yappin about em a little, then nothing.

Even France, one of the Top 5 major nations, gets forgotten more often than not and get way overlooked. Because we're not common wealth, english-speaking, all that. Italy is obscure, but we see them in the 6N so ppl know em a little.
But Argentina, they're SH, don't speak English, in between third world and first world, and their players are all in France. NOBODY knows them the way they should.

Anyways, didn't say the Pumas were mediocre on paper, just saying they're average compared to other major Tier 1 nations, and still play like THIS. Fkng impressive, remember just a little time ago everybody said Boks by 100 and what not, then learning Imhoff and can't remember who got injured...that it was all over.

^ nah, that's just not true. Hernandez is still quite good today, but he went from being one of the world's best backs to completely leaving the surface of the Earth, until finding good form again around 2012. Then he went a little discreet. He's good again these days, but he's not one of the world's best center/fullbacks at all.
I agree Albacete is good, but I don't know honestly if he deserves to be with the very best, there's a reason he's not held in that high regard. Like, he's not Top 5 right now.

I agree Sanchez is crazy underrated and it does pi$s me right the fk off. Ffs, what does he have to do for ppl to start accepting him into their privileged circle of Dan Carters, Jonny Sextons and Bernard Foleys, there are fkng good flyhalves in other countries, like France or Argentina.
Urdapilleta is virtually unknown when he is the metronome of Oyonnax, a damn fine team run by him.
Imhoff scores a fantastic try in Cardiff in a resounding Puma win in 2012, ppl start yappin about em a little, then nothing.

At his best Hernandez is one of the best 10/15 in the world. He has no weakness, his defence is on point, his kicking is immaculate, vision and passing superb but he got injuries, 6 months out in 2010. Back in like 2007 he was the best fullback in the world. I would rather take an in form Hernandez over any fly half in the top 14, including Matt Giteau/ Sexton anyone.
I must admit my ignorance but i have nothing on Urdapilleta, i don't know who he is but i will look out for him from now on.

well yeah I'm a big fan myself but what you're saying is theory: "an on-form", "at his best". I'm talking about what actually went down in reality. I agree with the qualities you've listed, and I'd add he's got a real running game and sees spaces opening and very good steps too, but really he hasn't been all that great consistently. Sometimes it was injuries, sometimes it's just inconsistency. During long stretches, he would be invisible in Racing, I'd even forget he was there sometimes.
He's also a "utility back" and basically plays everything but winger. Another big plus. And he can do flyhalf, center and fullback well, not just a quick temporary filler.
You talk about Top 14 flyhalves, right now I've got Giteau ahead of him for sure, and Trinh-Duc too as another.
Everybody talks about how good he was back then, 2007...they call him "the Magician" back home.

Ah fk it, I'm gonna throw this in here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hernandez is quality but his form and being consistent has always been a troubling issue. Injuries have come in my eyes at times when he was playing extremely well and seems like a player that takes a little longer to get over them.

post 2007 world cup Hernandez was the best fly half in the world - even better than carter. he was incredible, that 2007/2008 season with stade and Gasnier in the team, and Beauxis at 15....... amazing.

Last edited:
Exciting because of the result and importance of it but not top notch rugby and would take Aussies to beat either of these sides.......mind you never seen a Boks scrum go sa fast in reverse!!!

bocks fowards have to try usin boots instead of skates next time ;)

bocks fowards have to try usin boots instead of skates next time ;)

WTF are the Bocks???

140905060025737889.jpg

post 2007 world cup Hernandez was the best fly half in the world - even better than carter. he was incredible, that 2007/2008 season with stade and Gasnier in the team, and Beauxis at 15....... amazing.

Carter was pretty damn impressive in 2008 if you watched the Crusaders or All Blacks at all.

It's obviously subjective, but Hernandez was a great field kicker, put in some nice hits and did a ton of up and unders, but I wouldn't say he was making great plays. I think his form was somewhat exaggerated after the 2007 RWC hype.

Latest posts