• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: Argentina vs. Georgia (25/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

Argentina.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Georgia.png

Kingsholm, Gloucester (25/09/2015, 16:45)
Pool C, Round 2

Referee: JP Doyle
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png

Argentina might be a bit deflated after the NZ game, so I think this may be a significant opportunity for Georgia to spring another upset.

I recall this fixture at the last World Cup being much closer than the scoreline suggested, the differential being thanks in part to a one-sided performance from referee Alain Rolland.

Argentina is huge favorite but they have only 5 rest days (1 day less than Georgia) and played a tougher opponent than Georgia. Also, Georgia knows well the stadium, they played Tonga here and also Japan last 5th September.
Georgia's defence is impressive (more than 200 tackles against Tonga, with 93% success) and their scrum is very strong.
Georgia was always a tough opponent for Argentina, especially during the first half :
June 2013 : Argentina 29-18 Georgia (half time : 9-12)
RWC 2011 : Argentina 25-7 Georgia (half time : 5-7)
RWC 2007 : Argentina 33-3 Georgia (half time : 6-3)

But it seem, thanks to a 10-weeks physical training camp (including cryotherapy at the Olympic Centre in Poland) and a new strength and conditioning staff with Calvin Morris (worked with England from 2002 to 2012) and Scott Crean (current Clermont's strength and conditioning coach), Georgia was physically impressive during 70 minutes (they struggled a bit last 10 minutes). Usually, it was really hard for them from min 60 against a strong opponent.

I'd say its 75%-25% for Argentina

Last edited:
Argentina is huge favorite but they have only 5 rest days (1 day less than Georgia) and played a tougher opponent than Georgia. Also, Georgia knows well the stadium, they played Tonga here and also Japan last 5th September.
Georgia's defence is impressive (more than 200 tackles against Tonga, with 93% success) and their scrum is very strong.
Georgia was always a tough opponent for Argentina, especially during the first half :

But it seem, thanks to a 10-weeks physical training camp (including cryotherapy at the Olympic Centre in Poland) and a new strength and conditioning staff with Calvin Morris (worked with England from 2002 to 2012) and Scott Crean (current Clermont's strength and conditioning coach), Georgia was physically impressive during 70 minutes (they streuggled a bit last 10 minutes). Usually, it was really hard for them from min 60 against a strong opponent.

Nice post, a lot of good info there. I think it's 60-40 in favor of Argentina, but I am hoping for the upset. Argentina's future in the top tier is virtually secure. Georgia need to stake their claim for a Six Nations place.

It will be a tough game, but the Argies will be ok, they have too much quality. It might not be a bonus point win, but a win none the less. I'm impressed with Georgia though and their efforts at RWC's, they are always very difficult to beat and tough. Looking forward to the scrums this match.

Double post, delete.

Last edited:
It will be tough, but for me it is 90-10 to Argentina, at least. They're just better players, better coached, and I don't think the Pumas will be playing a totally second string side.
I wouldn't say the point difference will be big though, maybe 10-15 points.

People here are seriously understimating the depth of the current Pumas squad, especially that of the forwards. I don't think there'll be many changes in XV anyway.

Pumas win without bonus point, but without much suffering either, sth like 27-13.

Nice post, a lot of good info there. I think it's 60-40 in favor of Argentina, but I am hoping for the upset. Argentina's future in the top tier is virtually secure. Georgia need to stake their claim for a Six Nations place.

I agree, a Georgian upset would reshuffle the cards of a group whose outcome has been determined since day one. If the Georgian scrum can gain penalties in the Argentinian half and if their kicker (I don't know if he's any good) can score in the points, this could be a tight game. Argentina had some finishing difficulties against the ABs, I think 60-40 in favor or Argentina is fair.
Also looking forward to watch that 18 year old Georgian scrum-half who's supposed to be so good.

i have a feeling that this game is going to be closer than what many of us expect. Maybe not in the final score, id say a 15 point difference is quite possible, but the game itself its going to be really tough, specially in the first 60 minutes. Georgia's pack is very strong and has good experience, playing most of them in France, and they will be leaded by the beast Mamuka Gorgodze.
Also we cannot forget that we had a really hard game against the AB, had 1 less day to recover than Georgians, and that some key players like Creevy and Senatore finished with some injuries.

Georgia are renowned for their toughness but the Pumas have pace and strength, they have been in the cauldron of the RC for the last few years and they are ready to do battle up front and out wide. I have considerable respect for the Pumas, they will not lose this game. They really want to taste knockout rugby

ARG is stronger team that's fact. chances are 70-30 in favor of Argentina.
1) Argentina has 1 day less than Georgia to recover. Georgian team with all stuff were watching NZ - ARG match from their base during 24 hour rest.
2) ARG has 2 injuries (Senatore and their main hooker) + Mariano Galarza may miss the game due to ---> http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/96403
3) Georgia made program minimum by beating Tonga, and will not be worried about the match result, just making the game possible to win

This match is going to be a crucial in Group C, Argentina has to win this match if they want to qualify for 1/4 Finals. Georgia has to prove that they are strong enough for 6 Nations championship.
2 best scrums, 2 old friends, 2 very good Pack. I will love to watch the game.

Pretty sure first 60 min will be close and 1 half will be Georgia's, and Last 20 minutes will be Argentinian full strength attack with everything they got. I think Pumas will win but as we all have seen there is not anything impossible (Japan beat RSA)
so everything may happen.

People here are seriously understimating the depth of the current Pumas squad, especially that of the forwards. I don't think there'll be many changes in XV anyway.

Pumas win without bonus point, but without much suffering either, sth like 27-13.

Hmm? That's what everyone else was saying.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and pick Georgia to win...

I know it doesn't sound smart, but if it happens..... instant Genius :cool:

Chances are 65-35 in favor of Argentina IMO.
Hourcade can form:
The third row with Leguizamón, Ortega Desio and Isa (the last two were part of the team that beat France in 2014).
In the second row can play Petti (only played 20 minutes against the ABs) and Alemanno.
In the first row Ayerza, Creevy (they are irreplaceable and already have nine days to rest before facing Tonga) and Herrera.
Lavanini and Lobbe on the bench as replacements of impact.
In summary, a pack of strong forwadrs and well rested.
Landajo as scrumhalf with 20 or 25 minutes towards the end to Cubelli.
Sánchez (his kicks at goal can not be wasted).
De la Fuente and Moroni as centers to wear down the backs of Georgia (Bosch and Hernandez must be tired thereupon of tackling a lot)
In the background: Agulla, Gonzalez Amorosino and Cordero.
Hernandez and Imhoff on the bench to hit in the past 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Chances are 65-35 in favor of Argentina IMO.
Hourcade can form:
The third row with Leguizamón, Ortega Desio and Isa (the last two were part of the team that beat France in 2014).
In the second row can play Petti (only played 20 minutes against the ABs) and Alemanno.
In the first row Ayerza, Creevy (they are irreplaceable and already have nine days to rest before facing Tonga) and Herrera.
Lavanini and Lobbe on the bench as replacements of impact.
In summary, a pack of strong forwadrs and well rested.
Landajo as scrumhalf with 20 or 25 minutes towards the end to Cubelli.
Sánchez (his kicks at goal can not be wasted).
De la Fuente and Moroni as centers to wear down the backs of Georgia (Bosch and Hernandez must be tired thereupon of tackling a lot)
In the background: Agulla, Gonzalez Amorosino and Cordero.
Hernandez and Imhoff on the bench to hit in the past 20 minutes.

The backs will be the same as vs ABs, I read. And for me no way Lobbe sits out of this one.

But it seem, thanks to a 10-weeks physical training camp (including cryotherapy at the Olympic Centre in Poland) and a new strength and conditioning staff with Calvin Morris (worked with England from 2002 to 2012) and Scott Crean (current Clermont's strength and conditioning coach), Georgia was physically impressive during 70 minutes (they struggled a bit last 10 minutes). Usually, it was really hard for them from min 60 against a strong opponent.

Very insightful post. Thanks!

Latest posts