• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 4: Australia vs. Scotland (18/10/2015)

Not only that, but Beale has been on fire and Folau has been a passenger ever since his ankle was injured.

15 days of rest for Poey and Izzy is good for you and a big advantage. They will be 100% for the semifinal

Big Dog and KB have played in good level so far.

I'm hoping for a personal triumph from Tim Swinson. I'm heartily sick of the "he's too small" garbage. Ask Neil Back how that worked for him.

I fear an openside from a decade ago isn't the best way to defend a lock :p

Oh, come on, claiming we can win a game/tournament/world cup is clearly humorous!

Whilst I agree teams that really big are annoying, I don't think Scotland have been too guilty of this, it's more media spin.

Oh, come on, claiming we can win a game/tournament/world cup is clearly humorous!

Whilst I agree teams that really big are annoying, I don't think Scotland have been too guilty of this, it's more media spin.

Fair enough. To be fair it was an article in the pommy press and they're probably not to most charitable of outlets toward you Scotts.

Was he their coach during their most recent 6N campaign? Why has Scotland been the weakest home nation for so long? They have a bigger population than Ireland and arguably less competition from other sports.

Ireland has something like 4 times the number of registered players that Scotland has. We've been the weakest home nation for so long because we are not very good, although things may be finally improving. And we've beaten you 2 of the last 3 times we have played. Anything else I can clear up for you?

Last edited:
Ireland has something like 4 times the number of registered players that Scotland has. We've been the weakest home nation for so long because we are not very good. And we've beaten you 2 of the last 3 times we have played. Anything else I can clear up for you?

So what's the main game in Scotland? Is it more a soccer mad country? I'd always thought it was a bit more like Ireland and that previously Rugby was bigger in Scotland than in Ireland. Do you play Rugby League up there at all?

Oh, and no need to be so touchy champ. Not having a go at you lot really; I'm genuinely curious as to why Ireland have gotten so much better over the past 2 decades, while Scotland has deteriorated to the point that they are now the team the Italians seem to target as the most beatable in the 6N.

Kudos on your wins in cyclonic Newcastle and at home during the debacle that was the Deans years all the same. Definitely a good thing for the Wallabies to keep in mind when they play you in the qtrs.

15 days of rest for Poey and Izzy is good for you and a big advantage. They will be 100% for the semifinal

Big Dog and KB have played in good level so far.
@Conrad Smith, Where's this info coming from? Just interested as the info I have seen about these two has been slightly conflicting.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the main game in Scotland? Is it more a soccer mad country? I'd always thought it was a bit more like Ireland and that previously Rugby was bigger in Scotland than in Ireland. Do you play Rugby League up there at all?

Oh, and no need to be so touchy champ. Not having a go at you lot really; I'm genuinely curious as to why Ireland have gotten so much better over the past 2 decades, while Scotland has deteriorated to the point that they are now the team the Italians seem to target as the most beatable in the 6N.

Kudos on your wins in cyclonic Newcastle and at home during the debacle that was the Deans years all the same. Definitely a good thing for the Wallabies to keep in mind when they play you in the qtrs.

Similar to England in football being the biggest sport by far. In most of the country union is a private (fee paying) school thing, which really limits the numbers. Rugby league largely non-existent.

I don't know much about the Irish set up, but think it's only the fourth most popular sport over there. They've handled the transition to professionalism far better though - the SRU are more likely to provide funds for Edinburgh/Glasgow to sign a Kiwi than they are to actually address problems relating to youth coaching and getting more people playing.

Similar to England in football being the biggest sport by far. In most of the country union is a private (fee paying) school thing, which really limits the numbers. Rugby league largely non-existent.

I don't know much about the Irish set up, but think it's only the fourth most popular sport over there. They've handled the transition to professionalism far better though - the SRU are more likely to provide funds for Edinburgh/Glasgow to sign a Kiwi than they are to actually address problems relating to youth coaching and getting more people playing.

That must be irritating... it sounds like Scotland have gone down a similar path to England, and that can't be good when you have a lower base to begin with. Rugby in Australia has some similar problems to be fair; still too prominent in the private schools etc, but it's no where near as limited to that upper class as it is in places like England and roughly half our junior numbers now come from public (tax payer funded) schools.

All the same, the sport is really jostling with soccer to be our 3rd or 4th code of football, but both are lightyears behind Rugby League and Australian Football... interestingly though, with soccer unless you're from an immigrant background it's more a private school/posh thing for middle class kids with a serious case of cultural cringe. As a rule a lot of the white Australian fans are those who are a little embarrassed about their Australianness and seem to follow it as a kind of counter-culture thing. As a result though, they are generally insufferable w*nkers that seem to spend most of their time talking about how their's is "the world game" and that we all have to call it "football" like that makes any sense here.

Last edited:

I could probably write an entire essay on this very topic but I'll try and keep it relatively brief. Ultimately I think it comes down to two main points, the first being that the SRU were slow/poor at reacting when the game turned professional. Whereas other countries embrassed turning professional much easier than the SRU we instead almost went into it kicking and screaming, with too many of the old boy network unwilling to change. We found ourselves in a position where we had been left behind by England, Wales & Ireland in the way the SRU (and by default the professional clubs) were run and organised, which in turn of course affected player development.
That said it does seem that the SRU has finally got it's act together over the last few years as things seem to have changed dramatically. There are new regional player development schemes on the go, and with the amount of talented young players that have and are coming through the ranks of Glasgow and Edinburgh there is real hope for the future. That and there is talk (though it is still talk) of introducing a third professional team which would clearly help issues with allowing for further player development.
There is still work to be done but it's looking like it's finally on the right track.

Secondly, and I do believe this is a genuine issue, is the Scottish mindset. It's all vary well Scotland picking up brilliant wins and good performances against top teams in friendly games and Autum internationals, but I do believe that we struggly mentaly when it comes to the sticky end. Even taking this last 6N into consideration, we played well against France and arguably could have won. We played well against Wales and arguably should have won (referring decisions aside we didn't help ourselves on a number of issues there). Against England we played well in the first half and went in at half time winning. We couldn't however add to that and see it out. The Italy game we played poorly though still should have had enough to see the game out and win though we blew it in the end when the pressue told. When the Ireland game came around in the end I just don't think the players had much left to offer.

It's a mindset which does affect Scotland in a number of sports, not least off all football and rugby. We do embrace the 'glorious failure' tag a little too easily at times. It's for that very reason that, given the pressure is slightly off Scotland tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland had a storming game and really take it to Australia but still end up losing by two points or something equally as daft. Now that would be typical of Scotland.

Hi All

I have 5 RWC Australia V Scotland full corportate packages available for tomorrows match 18.10.2015
including Catagory A match ticket and full hospitality including pre and post match
original price gbp995/ticket
will sell for gbp500/ticket

can send official RWC email confirming genuine package if needed

am in london and can deliver to central london

[email protected]

Fantastic! Somehow only makes further mockery of the system though!

P.s. Thanks for explaining the state of Scottish rugby far better than me!

Good that they'll have their full strength side available, but you're right that it does make the system look like a bit of a mess... that said, I don't know a rugby union or league comp in the world that doesn't suffer inconsistent rulings. The NRL this year was ridiculous over here with what they banned and ignored in equal measure.

Just a thought, can Scotland change their named team?

Interesting that the NRL has similar problems - I'd hoped the inconsistencies in union were an amateur hangover!

Sanity prevails as ban on Jonny Gray and Ross Ford is immediately suspended on appeal ! A triumph for common sense against unnecessary bureaucracy !

Just a thought, can Scotland change their named team?

Interesting that the NRL has similar problems - I'd hoped the inconsistencies in union were an amateur hangover!

I've absolutely no idea. Even if they can it'll be a huge disruption as you've planned all week and then named a team & that could be thrown into confusion.

Terrific.

I've absolutely no idea. Even if they can it'll be a huge disruption as you've planned all week and then named a team & that could be thrown into confusion.

Terrific.

True, I'd imagine they'd both be promoted to the bench if possible.

I've since heard (though it's unconfirmed) that the team can be changed up to one hour before the game kicks off, so we'll wait & see what VC does.

@Conrad Smith, Where's this info coming from? Just interested as the info I have seen about these two has been slightly conflicting.
@ABs2011; I heard it, I´m looking for information. At least one of those should be 100% for the semis

Last edited by a moderator:
I've since heard (though it's unconfirmed) that the team can be changed up to one hour before the game kicks off, so we'll wait & see what VC does.

The BBC and also the Scotsman say they can still bring the pair in to the match day squad. I think Grey will defiantly be on the bench as we only have 3 Second Row players not sure what they will do with Ford as they will have been training with the other 2 hookers.

Latest posts