Super%20Rugby.png

QBE Stadium

140707055343767452.png
Versus%20Super.png
Lions.png

08:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams:

Blues:
15 Lolagi Visinia, 14 Frank Halai, 13 Charles Piutau, 12 Francis Saili, 11 Melani Nanai, Ihaia West, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 8 Jerome Kaino (captain), 7 Luke Braid, 6 Steven Luatua, 5 Patrick Tuipulotu, 4 Josh Bekhuis, 3 Charlie Faumuina, 2 Keven Mealamu, 1 Ofa Tu'ungafasi

Substitutes: 16 James Parsons, 17 Sam Prattley, 18 Angus Ta'avao, 19 Hayden Triggs, 20 Brendon O'Connor, 21 Jamison Gibson-Park, 22 Simon Hickey, 23 Hamish Northcott

Lions:
15. Andries Coetzee, 14. Ruan Combrinck, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 12. Harold Vorster, 11. Sampie Mastriet, 10. Elton Jantjies, 9. Ross Cronje, 8. Warren Whiteley (captain),7. Warwick Tecklenburg, 6. Jaco Kriel, 5. Martin Muller, 4. Franco Mostert, 3. Julian Redelinghuys, 2. Robbie Coetzee, 1. Corne Fourie

Substitutes: 16. Armand van der Merwe, 17. Jacques van Rooyen, 18. Ruan Dreyer, 19. Robert Kruger, 20. Derick Minnie, 21. Faf de Klerk, 22. Jaco van der Walt, 23. Howard Mnisi

Last edited by a moderator:
Cripple fight!

No, just joking, both these teams do have the ability to topple any other team on their day though long term I don't see either as being anything other than potential middle-of-the-log teams. To reach ~8/9th position though one gets the feeling they'll need to start making opportunities count- both teams were in good positions to take their last game, both losing it with 3 minutes on the clock.

I'm picking the Blues at home for this one.

Cripple fight!

No, just joking, both these teams do have the ability to topple any other team on their day though long term I don't see either as being anything other than potential middle-of-the-log teams. To reach ~8/9th position though one gets the feeling they'll need to start making opportunities count- both teams were in good positions to take their last game, both losing it with 3 minutes on the clock.

I'm picking the Blues at home for this one.

Yeah, I think the Blues might sneak it.

Could you maybe just correct my typo. I said Blue vs Lions in the match thread line.

To be fair to both teams, a win could put them both back on track..but considering one team will then be 0/4 after this game...ouch.

Back at home, back the Blues to sneak this one
But they did have a disastrous tour and travel back east is always tougher
Tough one..

Last edited:
I'd be suprised if the Blues didn't record a bonus point win.

Yeah, Fish, I tend too agree. I find myself scratching my head though- I think most South Africans had the Lions down as a much bigger threat before the tournament began. TBF they could have won rounds 1 and 3 with a sprinkling of luck and I'd have had to eat my words but the accuracy and speed with which they played in the Currie Cup late last year building on last year's surprise semi-succesful SR campaign just isn't there now it seems. Maybe because they were being billed as a genuine contender for the SA conference back home? 2nd year blues for the whole team? they are missing Kwagga Smith who was a star player and now playing for the Blitzbokke while Kriel and Whiteley seem subdued along with their front row... Don't underestimate them though!

Christ, the Blues can't seem to find the tryline (or the ground behind it, rather) to save their lives.

What an awful, awful game this is. Its just utter dross. 19 scrums actually called but I reckon they put down about 50 scrums.

Burn it to the ground. Even if they snuck a win, horrible performance.

Jesus the blues are ****... come back Pat Lam all is forgiven! LOL.

All credit to the Lions but the Blues are a disgrace!

Congrats Lions :)
Stayed in the game the whole way through and sneaked it.

What hits me as really frustrating is that four of the five franchises don't have have the top five coaches available to NZ rugby. Auckland rugby has a lot of issues, but that performance was just totally lacking in a game plan. 4-0 is a horrific start, but JK just isn't an amazing coach and there is nothing in his coaching background the points to his ability to succeed. Based on the players at the Blues disposal (some who weren't selected obviously), there is no way a Blues team should look so utterly lost...extrapolating this result to most franchises, NZ teams just don't seem to be running any where near as dynamic back lines..

Gutted for the Blues. I hate to see any team start of the season with straight losses.

das

Is time for JK to leave. Make a mess in first season with the Management of Benji Marshall. Looks like this season will be worse than 2014.

Looking at JKs coaching record idk why the blues hired him in the first place. We should have got Wayne Pivac. Our forward pack looks so lost, all the blues do is play side to side rugby no go forward

How guys like JK and Mark Hammett and Todd Blackadder get fast rtacked to head jobs while the likes of Schmidt and Cotter have never had a go is mind boggling.

Latest posts