• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] Australia v New Zealand in Sydney (08/08/2015)

There was a **** load of advantage in both they were hardly soft tries they just looked that way in the end I reckon. Our defence is usually better than that but I did feel Australia got alot of help which led to those unusual tries. We put ourselves under pressure and then Barnes compounded it... People can call me whatever they like thats how I saw it.

A TH prop side stepped a back rower and ran through 2 more forwards from a standing start.
A 9 was wandering laterally (being put under no pressure) and caught Read + 1 other completely napping between what should have been a very defendable gap.

I'm not sure how they can be described as anything other than soft?

The reffing was absolutely fine today. He could have blown up against NZ for a a couple of offsides in the line (Fekitoa by a mile?) and in a few scrums he allowed the ball out were other refs (french) would have penalised NZ. Yeah there were some tight calls but it was completely even handed and a team shouldn't play as to allow the ref to control the outcome of the game, eg dont drop restarts right on the 10m line, make it 12 - maybe easier said than done.

I think that the first half lost it for NZ. In the first 30 Aus looked pedestrian and were under pressure, but you didn't capitalise. Got to take advantage of your periods of dominance.

Anyway, congratulations to Australia, they have looked good this RC and have a good team going into the RWC, hope they do well in their group of "death".''

- - - Updated - - -

Are you getting me and Austin mixed up?

I think they are these poms are probably still drunk from last night....

We can only look on the bright side I guess. If Australia knocks England out then we can come along and pull a 2011 on them again..... As long as we dont loose next week then I WILL be concerned.

NZ made an unusual nber of unforced errors. Aus were very good. Very good bench. I like tight games when the score ebbs and flows like it did. Cracking game

We can only look on the bright side I guess. If Australia knocks England out then we can come along and pull a 2011 on them again..... As long as we dont loose next week then I WILL be concerned.
Watch out for those French 1st though [emoji6]

Yeah the Pommys in the thread are quite irritating, don't know what angle they're coming from if they think we didn't play poorly. We knocked it on from the first kick off for pete's sake, we were garbage.

Actually, if we beat England and Wales, you'll be playing either of them in the knockouts and not us unless we both make the final

A TH prop side stepped a back rower and ran through 2 more forwards from a standing start.
A 9 was wandering laterally (being put under no pressure) and caught Read + 1 other completely napping between what should have been a very defendable gap.

I'm not sure how they can be described as anything other than soft?

The reffing was absolutely fine today. He could have blown up against NZ for a a couple of offsides in the line (Fekitoa by a mile?) and in a few scrums he allowed the ball out were other refs (french) would have penalised NZ. Yeah there were some tight calls but it was completely even handed and a team shouldn't play as to allow the ref to control the outcome of the game, eg dont drop restarts right on the 10m line, make it 12 - maybe easier said than done.

I think that the first half lost it for NZ. In the first 30 Aus looked pedestrian and were under pressure, but you didn't capitalise. Got to take advantage of your periods of dominance.

NZ pull that 10 meter drop off kick to Read in nearly every damn game and 9 times out of 10 get it right. Im not convinced this was the one time they cocked it up. Carter did two kicks that maybe didnt go 10. The first one was correct for me it wasnt quite 10 the second one is what im conjecting about that led to the Aussie props try. For me it was fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, if we beat England and Wales, you'll be playing either of them in the knockouts and not us unless we both make the final

England and Wales dont concern me. South Africa do but we will likely be playing them either way.

Sorry English guys commenting on this game, but if you don't think the Ab's played poorly this match then your standard of Rugby must be pretty low, two soft tries, poor tackling, poor kicking, knocked on every 5 minutes. We were WOEFUL to put it nicely, a few nice tries doesn't mean we played well, come on!! Stop circle jerking please.

That shows the different expectations of both sets of supporters. You only have to read the England threads to know England fans are just as critical bunch after losses, but then we have far more than the ABs; so yes our standards will be lower. Not since 2002-03 have they been as high as the ABs at the moment. The ABs have lost 3 test matches in the last 4 years since RWC 2011. 3 FFS. Any other international team would give not losing that in one year, let alone in 4 years. So, a bit of perspective is needed.

But a few AB fans on here expect to win every game, which just is not realistic. So when they do lose, it does seem to other fans that they are throwing their toys out of their pram the ABs didn't win and blow teams away, especially against highly motivated teams they play away. Wallabies played well and deserved to win, the ABs need some tweaking of personnel and tactics for next week and the RWC, which is their ultimate goal for this year.

That shows the different expectations of both sets of supporters. You only have to read the England threads to know England fans are just as critical bunch after losses, but then we have far more than the ABs; so yes our standards will be lower. Not since 2002-03 have they been as high as the ABs at the moment. The ABs have lost 3 test matches in the last 4 years since RWC 2011. 3 FFS. Any other international team would give not losing that in one year, let alone in 4 years. So, a bit of perspective is needed.

But a few AB fans on here expect to win every game, which just is not realistic. So when they do lose, it does seem to other fans that they are throwing their toys out of their pram the ABs didn't win and blow teams away, especially against highly motivated teams they play away. Wallabies played well and deserved to win, the ABs need some tweaking of personnel and tactics for next week and the RWC, which is their ultimate goal for this year.

Look I don't care about perspectives, it's about facts, the facts are we knocked on A LOT of ball, Carter failed to make the touch enough, our tackling was soft, especially near the try line, our tight 5 was old and got penalized, these are facts, it has nothing to do with perspective this game, I get your point but you're making it at the wrong time and it's pretty irritating to be honest.

Congrats, Aussie. No.2 in the world now according to the rankings heading into the RWC even if SA dismantle Arg home and/or away because the margin is just to big for us to add anything and if NZ win at home in the return match with the assumed added 3 points Aus won't lose enough to drop below 2.

Thats fine but I dont see why we shouldnt expect to win every game we clearly have the best team in the world and I believe if Hansen made the correct selections IE not Woodcock and Carter and subbed A Smith earlier we would of competed alot better (maybe Cheika got one over us on tactics but im not sure about that). Australia were pretty bad aswell but good enough to beat us obviously. 8 points was all that was in it. For mine Barnes effected us not being within 7 points, NZ ultimately paid the price for not being good enough in the end though.

Look I don't care about perspectives, it's about facts, the facts are we knocked on A LOT of ball, Carter failed to make the touch enough, our tackling was soft, especially near the try line, our tight 5 was old and got penalized, these are facts, it has nothing to do with perspective this game, I get your point but you're making it at the wrong time and it's pretty irritating to be honest.

Goes to show how sore you are that the ABs lost then. Life goes on. Perspective in sport is essential, otherwise fans do go mad about something they cannot control.

I think it's good ABs lost, it makes other teams believe they have a chance this Autumn. The Rugby World Cup is not all about the ABs.

Congrats, Aussie. No.2 in the world now according to the rankings heading into the RWC even if SA dismantle Arg home and/or away because the margin is just to big for us to add anything and if NZ win at home in the return match with the assumed added 3 points Aus won't lose enough to drop below 2.

If Ireland beat Wales they will also leapfrog South Africa.
Not that it really matters a jot...

Goes to show how sore you are that the ABs lost then. Life goes on. Perspective in sport is essential, otherwise fans do go mad about something they cannot control.

I think it's good ABs lost, it makes other teams believe they have a chance this Autumn. The Rugby World Cup is not all about the ABs.

Yep it gives the other teams hope..... And then we can crush that hope when it matters. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to discuss the game in the relevant thread and what our problems were and you're giving me a lecture on perspectives and telling me the RWC isn't about us? It's pretty irritating.

- - - Updated - - -

And of course I'm sore the AB's lost, I love them, what sort of great revelation is that you're trying to make? You could at least explain how were weren't poor tonight, but instead gave me irrelevant rants from a perspective that I honestly don't care about at the moment, real shame, I was keen for good conversation on the points I made earlier, but got nothing in response.

Well done Wallabies. Well deserved win. Both teams had moments of brilliance and moments of utter stupidity. Wallabies took more their chances.

I thought the ref was consistent however poor around the ruck and offside areas of the game. However the key is he was consistent so the teams should have been able to adapt to the referees interpretations.

All in all, this game helps both teams. Gives Wallabies the confidence going into next week and RWC. Gives ABs a reality check.

In my opinion the ABs played with a style that was too loose. They tried to go out wide too soon without getting any forward ascendency. I think next week we will see a more tight display from the ABs. A style of play that will be seen in the knockout matches of RWC.

Seriously Kiwi, people are allowed to talk about the wider context of the game. It's a World Cup year and people aren't going to suddenly forget that.

The ABs played worse than I've seen for a while and Carter in particular was very off. But all the same we seemed to have even more miss firing players; Phipps and foley were pretty awful - Phipps in particular, and yet we still managed to win.

Both sides were nervy and a bit off the pace, but ultimately our bench just worked better

It's the difference between saying it's because NZ weren't performing or because anyone put under the pressure they were put under today is likely to do that. At times they let the Auzzies put a mark on them and the mistakes came from that. Obviously some tinkering is needed but saying Australia weren't wonderful is a disservice to them in my opinion. I had NZ to win and watch a lot of SH rugby before you talk about standards.

Just in future say what you needed to win and what went wrong, but saying you only lost because you were bad is so inaccurate in world rugby these days, especially this day.

However will be interesting to see how they respond in terms of tactics. They'll have sorted it out before the WC for sure.

If Ireland beat Wales they will also leapfrog South Africa.
Not that it really matters a jot...

Oh, I forgot Ireland and Wales are facing off. I think there is very little between SA, Ireland, Aus, Engand and Wales ATM as shown by bth the rankings and the fact that the home team has had the win for the most part.

Latest posts