• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] Australia v South Africa in Brisbane (18/07/2015)

Phipps was quicker to the ball, but wound up 90% of his passes and took longer to get the ball out.
He spent half the time complaining the Boks were lying around the ball instead of passing it.
He had a lot better long ball/cut out.

Definitely wouldn't say he was quick in delivery.

Most balls weren't out in front of the player too, his passes were hot and cold.

Last year he was a lot better than Genia, this SR. Season, he didn't have a box kick, ran poorly and slowed down his delivery significantly

I agree that Phipps didn't have a great SR season but i can't agree about Genia being better today - and lets face it Genia has had an even worse super rugby season than Phipps.

Phipps brought some agression and tempo that i didn't see with Genia that closing sequence of play, and Hoopers try, was incredible rugby orchestrated by Phipps - in fact i thought both Genia and Cooper had excellent first 20's but then seemed to fall off the pace once the Bokke got a decent lead - Genia was carrying a knock though so maybe that's why.

Feel sorry for Foley to be honest, he seems to have been overlooked on this, but him and Toomua were good tail of last season - i'm glad Giteau is back, but i think he's a better option at 10 than 12 now.

- - - Updated - - -

Poey improved the wallabies 100 fold when he came on
We went from getting punished at the break down, to winning.
He also got involved in every 2nd phase, more than hooper.
Hooper was amazing in line speed and defence! Was offside a number of times, but didn't get caught. I stand by the fact we won't beat the top teams without a fetcher.
Hooper adding his attack from the 50th minute off the bench would be awesome.
Either start both, or stand Pocock

he's a very different player to Hooper, and Cheika wants an around the corner game form the Wallabies.

Thought Pocock at 8 worked, and Fardy staying at 6 seemed ok - scrum certainly held up. Why not keep him at 8?

Pocock amazingly seemed good at 8, looked a little odd on a few occasions with his body position at the back of the scrum. But he held up very well.
I agree with the hooper and Pocock differences, Pocock has to start somewhere though, if we want to beat NZ! At 6, 7, or 8.

The choice for me at halfback depends on the 10 outside him. If it is cooper, I would stick with Genia, if it is gits or foley, I would go for Phipps.
Genia started the game very well and the game was played a lot more offensively with a lot more ball in the second half.
Hard to compare the two 9s to be fair.
I feel Genia didn't had a bad SR season as well, I'm a tahs fan and think he played better than Phipps with a worse team around him. His kicking was 100x better and made less mistakes and more aggressive runs.
2014 Phipps wins out of both of them for me, sadly there isn't a sign of 2014 Phipps at the moment. Plenty of time for either of them to step up this year though.

Wow, what and ending! Feel bad for the Boks, but also glad to see Australia upset the apple cart. :)

das

I agree that Phipps didn't have a great SR season but i can't agree about Genia being better today - and lets face it Genia has had an even worse super rugby season than Phipps.

Phipps brought some agression and tempo that i didn't see with Genia that closing sequence of play, and Hoopers try, was incredible rugby orchestrated by Phipps - in fact i thought both Genia and Cooper had excellent first 20's but then seemed to fall off the pace once the Bokke got a decent lead - Genia was carrying a knock though so maybe that's why.

Feel sorry for Foley to be honest, he seems to have been overlooked on this, but him and Toomua were good tail of last season - i'm glad Giteau is back, but i think he's a better option at 10 than 12 now.

- - - Updated - - -

he's a very different player to Hooper, and Cheika wants an around the corner game form the Wallabies.

Thought Pocock at 8 worked, and Fardy staying at 6 seemed ok - scrum certainly held up. Why not keep him at 8?
Well after today i would have Giteau at 10 over Cooper apart from the first try and a few kick's he hasn't really done much. But i still think Australia has better options at 10 than Cooper or Giteau. Would try Christian Lealiifano at 10 for one game even though i thought Matt Toomua did well at 10 today.

How can they be just a huge defence when they scored two tries.

By the possesion

2nd Half:

Wallabies 79% - Boks 21%

Overall:

Wallabies 61% - Boks 39%

2 tries vs 2 tries with so little possession talks about a tough defense

Pocock amazingly seemed good at 8, looked a little odd on a few occasions with his body position at the back of the scrum. But he held up very well.
I agree with the hooper and Pocock differences, Pocock has to start somewhere though, if we want to beat NZ! At 6, 7, or 8.

The choice for me at halfback depends on the 10 outside him. If it is cooper, I would stick with Genia, if it is gits or foley, I would go for Phipps.
Genia started the game very well and the game was played a lot more offensively with a lot more ball in the second half.
Hard to compare the two 9s to be fair.
I feel Genia didn't had a bad SR season as well, I'm a tahs fan and think he played better than Phipps with a worse team around him. His kicking was 100x better and made less mistakes and more aggressive runs.
2014 Phipps wins out of both of them for me, sadly there isn't a sign of 2014 Phipps at the moment. Plenty of time for either of them to step up this year though.
I would pick Phipps after this game Genia didn't play that well while Phipps Australia play a faster pace game which paid off for them at the end.

I'd give lea a go at 10 also. I do think gits has the best ability to develop and evolve a game plan. He knew when to put his head down and when to distribute.
Toomua was massive when he was on and his defence is a step above the rest. He would be 12 though and not 10.
Foley is unfortunate but this is international footy, need the best team to suit the game plan on the paddock.
We will see a number of combos over the next week, but right now, I think gits (10), Toomua (12) is leading for me

I agree with C Smith.
Defence kept the Boks alive, there first try was off poor defence and the 2nd try was awesome.
Attack was okay on occasion but definitely not what kept them alive

Could it be that we are going to see another Tri Nations 2011?

It would be quite amusing to see aussies winning after three years of absolute mess over the springbocks, who tried so hard and so good and yet never got there.

Last edited:
Vermeulen was missed tonight. Burger didn't cut it at 8 to be honest, they will be sweating his return for the RWC.

Could it be that we are going to see another Tri Nations 2011?

It would be quite amusing to se aussies winning after three years of absolute mess over the springbocks, who tried so hard and so good and et never got there.
Depends if the Springboks and the Aussies beat the All Blacks, The Wallabies might but the South African's might not if they play the same way they did today.

Depends if the Springboks and the Aussies beat the All Blacks, The Wallabies might but the South African's might not if they play the same way they did today.

I can't see either side winning vs the All Blacks after tonight. But you never know.

I don't think yesterday's match is conclusive about the AB's either, this is a whole competition and Boks allways get pumped up against NZ.

They should do what they did last year: save du Plessis (the good one) for the last 25-30 min and try it from there. If they can defend that, they have a chance.

I don't think yesterday's match is conclusive about the AB's either, this is a whole competition and Boks allways get pumped up against NZ.

They should do what they did last year: save du Plessis (the good one) for the last 25-30 min and try it from there. If they can defend that, they have a chance.

It's true. But we have hungry players right now, who are trying to prove their worth, get their spot and Hansen has given some of the looseyes a real kick up the backside, like Read. I can't see us letting up from here on in. We will be clinical and devastating. Teams will have to raise their games like never before to beat us.

It's going to be a great game vs Aus, really looking forward to it.

Actually, one of the roughest things that were said yesterday after the match came from Tuculet, who said Pumas were too dumb compared to the ABs. I agree on everything. But after all, this is only the begining, this is going to be a marathon: guys are going to play together and stay together for three months and a half, and they are going to improve massively. All of them.

By the possesion

2nd Half:

Wallabies 79% - Boks 21%

Overall:

Wallabies 61% - Boks 39%

2 tries vs 2 tries with so little possession talks about a tough defense
The Wallabies had the majority of possession no argument there, but that doesn't mean that all we had was defense, when we DID have the ball we attacked well, neither of our tries were from turn overs, they were from general attacking build up. The real issue was that from the 50th minute onwards we barely touched the ball, and when we did we just cleared poorly, usually to Folau, who quickly put us under pressure again.
We had the exact same amount of clean breaks and offloads as the Wallabies despite our lack of possession. The last 30 minutes did not constitute the whole game.

Nice little last gasp win there for Aus. Could really do without them getting those team boosting wins before the WC ;)

You have to feel the Springbok replacements had a big impact on the game. They were quite happy to absorb the pressure and let the Aussies make mistakes until that point. I think SA have to be worried about their depth at the moment.

I thought there were a lot of mistakes made by the defending teams in their own red zones through some poor kicking etc. They'll want to iron that out before playing NZ.

The Wallabies had the majority of possession no argument there, but that doesn't mean that all we had was defense, when we DID have the ball we attacked well, neither of our tries were from turn overs, they were from general attacking build up. The real issue was that from the 50th minute onwards we barely touched the ball, and when we did we just cleared poorly, usually to Folau, who quickly put us under pressure again.
We had the exact same amount of clean breaks and offloads as the Wallabies despite our lack of possession. The last 30 minutes did not constitute the whole game.

Not sure where you are getting your stats, we had 3 times the line breaks
546d13f49a63c341576e79d1b9cbeb23.jpg

Latest posts