• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 Olympic Games, Rio

Crazily close game.
I feel like GB are being slept on a bit, everyone's talking about NZ and aus, and rightly so cause they've looked great, but we've grown every game. People said Canada would be a real test and we cruised it. They said fiji would be harder, cruised that too.
NZ looked bad, by their standards, vs USA. It's a shame we aren't playing them later tonight as they'll likely bounce back massively tomorrow, as NZ sides tend to do when they underperform.

Yeah, pretty damn optimistic about the good PR the sport will get.

Without wanting to sound patronising, the mens competition should step that up a level though, outside of the "oh ****, it's women doing a contact sport" aspect - the men's is far more immediately impressive to people who have never watched the game.

Yeah, pretty damn optimistic about the good PR the sport will get.

Without wanting to sound patronising, the mens competition should step that up a level though, outside of the "oh ****, it's women doing a contact sport" aspect - the men's is far more immediately impressive to people who have never watched the game.

Hopefully it will draw a good tv audience (I don't know what it is up against schedule wise though)

Love how much the commentators don't hide how much they hate that Chinese "bad boy" swimmer.

Hadn't heard all this Yulia Efimova stuff before now - glad everyone is showing their disdain (crowd booing, commentary throwing shade, Irish competitor kicking off in the press).

Loved the aussie 400m winner going in on the Chinese swimmer, as well, and not backing down from calling him a drugs cheat.

Women's road race also fantastic. On the 7s I'm curious why there is no competitive SA team? Do they keep their womenfolk in the kitchen or something?

Love how much the commentators don't hide how much they hate that Chinese "bad boy" swimmer.

Yes. But then BBC commentators will cheer on confirmed British dopers like Christine Ohoragu (sic). Nauseating hypocrisy.

I think the SA side qualified, but pulled out for some reason.

There is massive naivety and hypocrisy about doping in elite sport - it's nothing new.

I think the SA government didn't finance the team as they did not think it would win anything similar to hockey.

Nice to see them finance Football as their team will def win a medal.

I think the SA government didn't finance the team as they did not think it would win anything similar to hockey.

Nice to see them finance Football as their team will def win a medal.
TBF the entire "Olympic Funding" by bodies is one hell of a crapshoot. SA have significantly less resources than us and we still kill people's funding on arbitrary measure as its difficult to determine what's fair and what's not.

Look at McKenzie in the Judo on Saturday distraught at his performance and partially not sure if he gets funding for the next cycle. He was required to Top 8 but this draw put him against the world number 1 and eventual silver medallist. Out athletes which aren't expected to medal have to got through a lot mental anguish on this front.

INB4 Peaty finishes 4th

- - - Updated - - -

He is a beast

He's crazy,
Almost a second taken off the world record (and it's his world record) in these games alone.

Don't get why he's being called a Scottish swimmer when he's from Uttoxeter and trains out of Repton and Loughborough!

Guardian, maybe? An article I read last night, anyway.
It's possible I misread it, but I'm pretty sure

Edit: Can't find the article now so it's very possible I mixed a few sentences together when skim reading or something

Last edited:
Del Potro, an almost retired player, give us the first big hit in this games. Novak Djokovic will not win an Olympic Gold Medal, maybe Tokio 2020 will be too late.

I thought he was Scottish too, then I read his wiki entry the other day and he's straight up English.... did he swim for Scotland at the CW's?

It happens, places claim medalists even if they have link, even miniscule, tenuous ones. Seen both Swansea and Swindon claiming Carlin as "....'s own".

I think the SA side qualified, but pulled out for some reason.

There is massive naivety and hypocrisy about doping in elite sport - it's nothing new.

Naivety certainly, why hypocrisy? Are you suggesting that some of those decrying those who have been caught out know more than they are letting on or are even guilty themselves? I suspect this is the case too.

There have been enough high profile cases that I'm amazed people aren't more cynical. My favourite case if the 1988 men's 100, final. Ben Johnson went from hero to zero and was widely vilified. It turns out that six of his seven competitors would go on to be caught out for drug offences! FWIW, it was my favourite ever 100m race for a lot of years on the basis that it was an amazing performance and that it's rife.

Also....."Live Strong!"

Latest posts