• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 Olympic Games, Rio

I think the gloves weigh the same, but the amateur gloves have the padding distributed more heavily into the front - between the target at the fist.

Just seen the footage of the Serbian rowers capsizing.

Off the Olympics to capsize in,it had to be in Rio and its dirty water

Yeesh, not great.
I watched a couple of the heats in the singles before heading out this morning and they were saying that the pairs would have the biggest issues with the choppy water the rising wind was only going to make it worse over the course of the day.
A few rowers have said that it should have been cancelled because of the conditions, and one of the Brits just said "reminds me of coastal rowing, love it".

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on pro boxers being allowed to participate now Rats? Amateur and pro boxing are essentially different sports considering the tournament format and scoring system among other things.

Asking because you know more about the sport and games than myself.

Ahh, I can't pretend to be some sort of big boxing fan.... I watch big pro fights and that's about it.

Doesn't seem to make sense to me though... the Olympics seems to work really well as a feeder system for the professional sport, to allow pros in would harm that.

amateur wears 12 oz while pros wear 10 oz for weight classes above 152 while amateurs wear 10 and pros wear 8 for under 152

What are your thoughts on pro boxers being allowed to participate now Rats? Amateur and pro boxing are essentially different sports considering the tournament format and scoring system among other things.

Asking because you know more about the sport and games than myself.

I think it is good for the sport and will only deepen the talent pool at the games. TBH the only pro's likely to participate are 2nd tier talent or younger pro's as the reputation/commercial risks are too great and the reward is too small. A lot of world class pro fighters won't fight each other for a couple of million so you can bet they wont fight for free that's for sure.

Allowing 2nd tier talent to compete will not create massive mismatches like is being reported in the media, it will even the playing field and create less of them. I doubt any of the mediocre pro's will do much any way, if they medal the talent must be pretty poor in that division if you ask me.

I don't know if many of you will agree with me (but it is the truth), many world class "Amateur" fighters from richer nations are essentially professionals who get paid to compete and don't need any other income to support themselves other than government funding and sponsorship. Most "pro" boxers can not rely on their boxing earnings to survive and they only use boxing to supplement their normal incomes so are really "Amateurs" in the truest sense of the word regardless of fight payments.

Enjoyed day 1.

Surprised how much I enjoyed the road race, not really a fan of cycling but that was a good watch. Saw some of the criticism of the course but I think that was a good course, you want the Olympic event to be a challenge, to sort out the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys, the awkwardly feminine from the possibly Canadian. Like any endurance race, you dont have to lead from start to finish, just dont make errors, be consistent and in the right place to capitaise on others mistakes.

The rugby was good, hard to discern among the tourists how many locals were there but when Brazil did play they got involved and stayed cheering even when they got a shellacking. GB had an OK day, were a bit rusty 1st game but were clinical in the 2nd, Canada looked good so will be an interesting game later on to decide the group.

Enjoyed that race and well Yang seemed to be purely outcasted after doping issues. It'd have been interesting if he got gold

Lol the disgust from the broadcasters etc would have been priceless.

Japan v Brazil is an interesting game, would be great if Brazil win.

Really hope Japan 7's will progress over the next 4 years for 2020.

Never understood what those kneepad things that Scarratt wears.... what do they do...?

Given Canada a good hiding in 7s.

Holy smeg anyone hear the paralympic statement on Russia? Wish the IOC had gonads like that.

No clue will have to ask her next time i see her at a Tigers game.

Maybe just knee support from a previous injury?

Given Canada a good hiding in 7s.

Holy smeg anyone hear the paralympic statement on Russia? Wish the IOC had gonads like that.

Yep love it.

Mind Armistead shouldn't be in it either.

I can't see what they support though?... they just look like pads rather than strapping.

Mind Armistead shouldn't be in it either.
Different cases almost entirely.

I don't know the full details of how she missed the tests. But it sounds like the first test was a cock up the enforcers part which she didn't contest at the time as she thought she'did make the next two.

Wish we had more details but you have trust the courts.

Jesus the standard of a few teams in the women sevens games I've seen so far..... NZ a class above here.

Latest posts