• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 RBS Six Nations Predictions

Few, including me, will be expecting him to "transform pumpkins into carriages", but I fully expect him to have a positive impact on the XV de France.

What can he do with players he'll spend very little time with? positive impact like what?

He had 2 half-days for his first get-together with the players this month. Same old joke all over again.

To 'turn things around' would suggest he'd been given leeway he clearly doesn't have - the union has reformed, the league will end in May (as it should), priority to an ambitious summer tour with all hands on deck, the big clubs backing him 100% for 4 yrs etc. Yeah and pigs will fly :D

Last edited:
I really don't know what to expect from Ireland here and definitely don't think we should be considered favourites or even top two. Schmidt will l be blooding a new and temporary second row partnership and we could see a lot of change here, new players in at backrow is almost certain and we'll likely see a new centre pairing and possibly a change in the back three. This side will be far from settled and have the most difficult start to the tournament possible.

If we beat Wales and France continue to be poor a grand slam is on the cards but an opening round loss could see us have a lacklustre tournament and finish 4th! Ireland are almost as much of an unknown entity this year than England and France considering Schmidt is going to add to his playing style having fell short in October.

Agree with a lot of what you said.

However, we're going to stick with the tried and trusted due to losing our captain, Henderson, POM and Bowe. We're going to have to play fairly conservative (even more than usual).

I could see Joe going with something along the lines of this:
1. McGrath
2. Best
3. Ross
4. Toner
5. Ryan/McCarthy
6. Ruddock
7. SOB
8. Heaslip
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. D. Kearney
12. Henshaw
13. Payne
14. Earls
15. Rob Kearney
with Madigan and Fitz at 22 and 23 respectively.

Personally, I'd go with Furlong over Ross, McCloskey and Henshaw in the centre and Fitz instead of Earls. As much as I love JVdF, I can't see him getting capped as we already have Stander, Ruddock and Henry competing for the one spot. I am Fitz's biggest fan but can't see him starting against Wales as he hasn't played that much under Schmidt's Ireland (mainly due to injury), even though he's our best player. McCloskey more than likely won't start against Wales due to lack of being in Schmidt's camps (think he had one or 2 run outs with them before).

I initially predicted we'll finish 2nd, losing on points to Wales, but I think we could finish anywhere between 2nd and 4th. If we beat Wales by more than 7, I could see us getting the championship, losing to England.

What can he do with players he'll spend very little time with? positive impact like what?

He had 2 half-days for his first get-together with the players this month. Same old joke all over again.

To 'turn things around' would suggest he'd been given leeway he clearly doesn't have - the union has reformed, the league will end in May (as it should), priority to an ambitious summer tour with all hands on deck, the big clubs backing him 100% for 4 yrs etc. Yeah and pigs will fly :D

Nobody in their right mind would expect instant success with Guy Novès (except the press, whose knives are no doubt, have already been sharpened in readiness for not having won a Grand Slam) - the man himself certainly doesn't. If we can see a French team playing with a positive attitude - lacking with PSA, then that will be a move in the right direction.

Ireland are almost as much of an unknown entity this year than England and France considering Schmidt is going to add to his playing style having fell short in October.

Why do you think this? There's been zero indication from what I've seen, to suggest Schmidt is going to change things around. For all we know Jordi Murphy could be starting

Why do you think this? There's been zero indication from what I've seen, to suggest Schmidt is going to change things around. For all we know Jordi Murphy could be starting

To be fair, the way many people have analysed Irelands recent disappointments has been that it proved the limits to their current brand of rugby; Argentina were just a better team by virtue of having a more expansive game. Without Ireland adding to their attacking game I think they'll remain somewhat vulnerable to competent attacking teams. I don't think the six nations has any sides comparable to the southern style but with new coaches its possible England and France will have this in the future.

Ireland's gameplan has relied on stifling the oppositions ability to use their possession and kicking. Against sides who can't front up to the Irish forwards, it works wonders. However as soon as a team works out how to move the ball so Ireland can't stifle it, they get shown up. Stifling gameplans are inherently negative and rely on mistakes. It's the ultimate bully tactic that will completely shutdown weaker teams but is utterly useless against stronger teams.

However, we're going to stick with the tried and trusted due to losing our captain, Henderson, POM and Bowe. We're going to have to play fairly conservative (even more than usual).

What? Why are we "going to HAVE to play fairly conservatively"?

This attitude of "we must minimise risk to win every match" sickens my hole. :mad:

Any wonder we walk in to every world cup with a paper thin squad as we don't take the risks on developing younger players. If they are good enough, they are old enough.

Think people have gotten carried away since the Argentina match. We have continually moving to a more progressive game, just look at the France match in the world cup where we ran from our 22 a number of times. It's still possible to play expansive rugby based around a strong kicking game, forward dominance and a good defence.

Argentina was more due to missing key players than a poor gameplan.

To the EPS but I don't think you'll see that many first caps in the starting 15 and it will look pretty familiar come game time. I'm expecting most likely to see a Cheika like improvement (probably not as big) rather than a team struggling to win.

As for time to gel, yes there are only 2 weeks together until the Scotland match but I'll be mightily surprised if we lose that one (as will most people be honest) and it'll be upset of massive proportions for us to fail against Italy. So the reality is we have 5 weeks until the Ireland game with 2 competitive games where we can probably try some stuff out in between.

Not saying we'll win it that's nowhere near a forgone conclusion but I think writing off England's chances to be in mix is foolish at best.

i dont think anybody is is expecting you to lose to italy just that not many people are expecting you to win the whole thing. i think they will be right up there maybe 2nd or 3rd but you never know it might all fall into place and ourselves and ireland get a pasting lol

Ireland's gameplan has relied on stifling the oppositions ability to use their possession and kicking. Against sides who can't front up to the Irish forwards, it works wonders. However as soon as a team works out how to move the ball so Ireland can't stifle it, they get shown up. Stifling gameplans are inherently negative and rely on mistakes. It's the ultimate bully tactic that will completely shutdown weaker teams but is utterly useless against stronger teams.

It is the DNA of Irish rugby teams to play to stifle.......they were known for it back in the day for blocking, slowing down and forcing mistakes (legally or illegally) and using the resulting turn over ball.

Think some are being hard on them for the Argy match which they went into without several senior players, an excuse England did not have!!

While Scotland doesn't have many Injury problems to face par Mark Bennett who could miss out, so we don't have any real excuse to be poor unless were just s**t.

My Form XV for Scotland (Pretty containing the players who are playing really well at this moment of time) would be this

1.) Rory Sutherland
2.) James Malcolm
3.) WP Nel
4.) Jonny Gray
5.) Ben Toolis
6.) Josh Strauss
7.) John Hardie
8.) David Denton
9.) Greig Laidlaw
10.) Rory Jackson
11.) Tim Visser
12.) Matt Scott
13.) Chris Dean
14.) Damian Hoyland
15.) Sean Maitland

My predicted XV

1.) Al Dickinson
2.) Ross Ford
3.) WP Nel
4.) Richie Gray
5.) Jonny Gray
6.) Josh Strauss
7.) John Hardie
8.) David Denton
9.) Greig Laidlaw
10.) Finn Russell
11.) Tim Visser
12.) Alex Dunbar
13.) Mark Bennett
14.) Sean Maitland
15.) Stuart Hogg

While Scotland doesn't have many Injury problems to face par Mark Bennett who could miss out, so we don't have any real excuse to be poor unless were just s**t.

Could replace unless with when! Excited to see how we'll fare, hopefully we'll continue to improve but I expect we'll face another battle for 5th. Glasgow's poor form is a bit concerning, they seem to have lost all handling ability.

Oh dear, so soon after a horrendously embarrassing effort as the hosts of the RWC, already English arrogance has come to the fore.
As I recall, one of the home nations teams couldn't even get out of their own pool to join the others in the quarter finals.
I wonder which team that could have been...

I think his tongue is firmly in his cheek.

If this season's 6N is like last season's, we're in for some good rugby.
Wales and Ireland are always a serious threat, Scotland may at last get a couple of wins, France will be unpredictable (heard that before, haven't you!) although I'm 100% behind Novès who does deserve the chance to turn French rugby around - and I don't give a monkey's that he's 62 and too old; but I've a suspicion that England will prevail, they've got Ireland and Wales at home and they can win in Paris.

Noves is a class coach, I am looking forward to see what improvement he gets out of the squad and hoping his influence will have a positive outcome, 62 is not old for a coach, it's not like he's going to pick himself.

Oh dear, so soon after a horrendously embarrassing effort as the hosts of the RWC, already English arrogance has come to the fore.
As I recall, one of the home nations teams couldn't even get out of their own pool to join the others in the quarter finals.
I wonder which team that could have been...

You finally ****ed off down under?

Fra v Ita (Fra)
Sco v Eng (Eng)
Ire v Wal (Ire)

Rd 2
Fra v Ire (Ire)
Wal v Sco (Wal)
Ita v Eng (Eng)

Rd 3
Wal v Fra (Wal)
Ita v Sco (Sco)
Eng v Ire (Eng)

Rd 4
Ire v Ita (Ire)
Eng v Wal (Eng)
Sco v Fra (Fra)

Rd 5
Wal v Ita (Wal)
Ire v Sco (Ire)
Fra v Eng (Fra)

Not really sure about Scotland, hopefully they win the first game to **** things up. France... what a pact of useless *****. Wales, will laugh at the enibol fauller fo this bunch of a graders, when they fluke 2nd via dodgy ref decicisions. Ireland, strong as ****, need a good dick to the face. French do good cheese (though now we know the best cheese, like white wine, is done in England). Italy can **** off.

Fra v Ita (Fra)
Sco v Eng (Eng)
Ire v Wal (Ire)

Rd 2
Fra v Ire (Ire)
Wal v Sco (Wal)
Ita v Eng (Eng)

Rd 3
Wal v Fra (Wal)
Ita v Sco (Sco)
Eng v Ire (Eng)

Rd 4
Ire v Ita (Ire)
Eng v Wal (Eng)
Sco v Fra (Fra)

Rd 5
Wal v Ita (Wal)
Ire v Sco (Ire)
Fra v Eng (Fra)

Not really sure about Scotland, hopefully they win the first game to **** things up. France... what a pact of useless *****. Wales, will laugh at the enibol fauller fo this bunch of a graders, when they fluke 2nd via dodgy ref decicisions. Ireland, strong as ****, need a good dick to the face. French do good cheese (though now we know the best cheese, like white wine, is done in England). Italy can **** off.

I like your style.

Fra v Ita (Fra)
Sco v Eng (Eng)
Ire v Wal (Ire)

Rd 2
Fra v Ire (Ire)
Wal v Sco (Wal)
Ita v Eng (Eng)

Rd 3
Wal v Fra (Wal)
Ita v Sco (Sco)
Eng v Ire (Eng)

Rd 4
Ire v Ita (Ire)
Eng v Wal (Eng)
Sco v Fra (Fra)

Rd 5
Wal v Ita (Wal)
Ire v Sco (Ire)
Fra v Eng (Fra)

You're English and you want Scotland to win the first game, which is against England?

You're English and you want Scotland to win the first game, which is against England?

Yeah, well not really, it would be funnier i suppose. Scotland were one Joubert away from the RWC semi's (as they like been reminded), which was further then anyone else in the NH. England might need time to:

cff602d2a65a475839a179f2bb0eba68.jpg

Give Eddie doubters time to air early. If that's a positive. On France, not a expert to France's internal coaching political movements but don't see how Guy Noves is much of a step in the improvement direction? Think Farrell was a great steal by Ireland. That's about it.

Latest posts