• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 6: South Africa v New Zealand (07/10/2017)

I don't agree with the rules being so soft, but that was 110% a red card. Illegal tackle, to the head/neck and on purpose.

Forget the head/neck thing, if it had been any later it would have been at the after match function.
It was just an incredibly clumsy and stupid act that got what it deserved.

Didn't think that this current Bok team had it in them to trouble the All Blacks....boy was I wrong!! Where was this grit and determination three weeks ago? Take a bow Malcolm Marx, probably his best performance in his career so far. Same goes for Eben Etzebeth and Steven Kitshoff. Unfortunately some more passengers were exposed yesterday. Ruan Dreyer is not up to it I'm afraid and Elton Jantjies still make some stupid mistakes under pressure like kicking the ball away when the Boks are on the attack, especially leading to the All blacks first try. Damian de Allende is not ready yet to play for the Boks. He is a shadow of what he was in 2015 and should play some more Currie Cup and Super Rugby to get his form back. Also need to work on his discipline/clumsiness after the red card.

Funny sort of game, AB's just never seemed to be able to quite get into their rythym, again, a long tough season with big travel in the last couple of weeks might have contributed. I thought Marx had a very good game, but he got away with murder at the breakdown, nearly always had hands on the ground, but hey, if the ref lets you get away with it....

Kitsoff was great, he really has stepped up the last few games, for the AB's Milner Scudder was brilliant until injured, hope the shoulder heals quickly, SBW was very strong, good to see Havili start well.

It will certainly do SA's confidence some good to get so close to the AB's after their recent results.

I didn't think SBW was good honestly.
Rieko is immense and almost feels like the first name on the team sheet at this point.
NMS and Dmac are deadly game breakers. Crotty has managed to add x factor to his incredibly solid game. SBW is just meh. I feel like what made him special (his offloading) has been coopted by every young player in SR, it's no longer this magical thing that only he can do. He's also been error prone this season for some reason, of all the extremely potent Kiwi backs SBW scares me the least. (Havilli had a nice Cameo too).

As for SA I don't have many complaints, whether or not EJ is the future is actually pretty irrelevant for now there is no one else a couple of raw youngsters and the glass men Pollard and Lambie. I like Pollard myself but he needs to get some solid game time hopefully next year. Our wings didn't get many opportunities but did what they could. Coetzee looked a lot better today but with his kicking remaining inconsistent I'd rather give Gelant a go. Serf I think is showing his quality but Im unconvinced Kriel has the rugby brain at 13.

Siya and flow were quiet but the rest of the pack was pretty great.
Honestly I'm just talking for discussion sake, incredibly proud of everyone who played, they played with pride and guts and that's all we can really ask from the lads.

Last edited:
I didn't think SBW was good honestly.

Ok, well I thought he was very good, high work rate, great vision, was very involved and stood out for me. SBW is a lot more than just offloads IMO. We will have to agree to disagree!

Ioane was good, I also failed to mention Crotty who has taken his game to a new level.

Ok, well I thought he was very good, high work rate, great vision, was very involved and stood out for me. SBW is a lot more than just offloads IMO. We will have to agree to disagree!
Fair enough, maybe I have a in grown Saffer bias towards 12's who can distribute ;).

Of course not. But it isn't an isolated stat. 8 points conceded in the 51 mins the "poor defender" Jantjies was on the field. 14 extra conceded in the 20 mins when Pollard was on the field.
Ridiculous comparison. Blacks score on an intercept and kick return. Nothing to do with ether bok #10.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the rules being so soft, but that was 110% a red card. Illegal tackle, to the head/neck and on purpose.

de Allende's red card has been rescinded by SANZAR, and rightly so...

"In his findings, foul play review committee chairman, Nigel Hampton QC, said the offence only warranted a yellow card."

"The charge was late and the player (de Allende) had time to pull out before colliding with his opponent," Hampton's findings say."

"However, the collision was not effected with a great deal of force, with the initial contact being made with the player's forearm on the opponent's chest, from whence the arm rose up to make contact, again not forceful, onto the opponent's neck. The opponent was not injured."

Thought the Blacks rather got out of gaol with that effort. Couple of tries from never never (kick to the blacks) land, plus one try that was dubious at best. This downward pressure after a knock on of sorts is malarky. Crotty clearly never had control of the ball, yet him, and many players before him, have been rewarded with tries. Wasn't abundantly clear he even had contact with the grounded ball after his knock on. For the neutral favouring the "underdog" it was a rubbish decision. A pretty flimsy red card to add to all that, with a free pen from out in front, and you can easily see how the Boks rather deserved more from that match. It's been a year of rubbish refereeing decisions in fairness to today's man with the whistle.

If I am a boks fan, then I am mightily, mightily ticked off with the refereeing. If I am a Blacks fan, then a big "phew!". As I am a neutral, a fantastic, absorbing contest. What a rugby match.

Have to say that most of the passion, grit and entertainment provided by the losing side. All Blacks with their legendary counter attack, and they defended well in fairness. 197 ABs tackles to 118 by the boks says a lot.

Some other thoughts I had while watching:

Cant recall the last time I saw the ABs kicking at goal from over 45 metres. Certainly with the inconsistent kickers (at very best) at their disposal. The attempted drop kick at the end was completely out of character in the southern hemisphere, let alone the ABs, so they were clearly feeling the pressure.

Thought Boks Captain (Elizabeth) and ABs (Squires) were my standout players, but a lot of great performances all around. Du Toit etc...... A great match!

Sbw had his best game so far this season but I still expect more from him. Hes worked on his power game all season and to his credit even tho he got owned by Beale he still worked on it. Think Sunday he was real hardworking and contributing positively. One dropped ball isn't a big deal
Felt garces missed heaps. But in the end he was consistently bad to both sides.
Funny markReason calling him #1 ref in the world shows how much he knows about rugby

Glad we went for a drop kick. Kiwis don't do this enough

To all those saffas who tuned their backs on the boks 3 weeks ago. Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. Boks have never given up and still have massive pride in themselves

The cynic in me is looking at the facts of the match and I'm feeling like we're being led on a bit.
It was a dead rubber for NZ, we were at home and were desperate, and we still lost. Once again we're left talking about the effort shown. My opinion is that this is a blimp in the radar, we'll get whipped again next Test match and we won't stand a chance of beating NZ again until the next dead rubber.

My heart is hoping this is not the case and that the boys are finally clicking into gear after much disruption since the 2015 RWC. Take away the last 3 comprehensive hidings and this match looks good in isolation.

Tempering this belief is that this line up is very much short of the ANCs racial quota targets. Meaning that there will be more disruption to come. Players who have put up their hands big time will need to be dropped to appease the government.

its crazy how opinions can cary so much on red vs yellow cards. I wonder how closeley people look at things or if they just see what they want to see.
to me that was very harsh for a red. It was clearly late and stupid, deserved a yellow but there wasn't any clear contact with the head. The camera angle made it look worse than it was. the impact on the game was minimal as it was almost full time. I doubt he will get a suspension to go with it... Kinda of a bizare call...

Last edited:
Forget the head/neck thing, if it had been any later it would have been at the after match function.
It was just an incredibly clumsy and stupid act that got what it deserved.

Yep and what really sucks is that RSA put in their best efforts in ages and they actually (probably) lost the game because of this silly tackle.

Just watched the games after a busy weekend and I kept away from the social media so I got the full effect.

WOAH!!

About the reffing of the breakdown - isn't this how we want to see it? Spirited contest that teams must commit players to without lots of ****ly, very technical stoppages? something like 45 minutes of play in the game. I think that this is what union should be. I thought it was excellent.

Next up for the Boks is Ireland. After their extremely competitive Rugby Championship, this great team effort against the ABs, some rest and the fact that it will be Ireland's first game of the Autumn Internationals I certainly think that they have a chance. I can't wait. Boks might have finished 3rd behind Aus in the RC but only because Aus's backline is more experienced and I see that as why they scored more points. Cheika getting Beale and Genia to come back from the NH has been immense for them. Without them I think that Boks finish 2nd.

I basically agree that Elton is not top class. Which is too bad because I really want to love him. We'll see if Pollard can come back but I don't think that he played that well when he was on in the championship. overall I don't think that the options are there right now. Maybe Bosch can play against Italy and/or Wales but I don't see it as appropriate to play him against Ireland or France. I thought that Elton was excellent against Ireland in 2016.

I like Cronje a lot. I think that he is a very intelligent player. He might not have the physical attributes of a top athlete but he has totally earned his spot. Great that he got a try and I loved his runs right out of the ruck. The box kick that was returned for the AB's try...well, the Boks defended kicks like that well all game, it was just a little too much pressing of their luck against the All Blacks. I don't think that it was his fault. Who slipped, missed the tackle and allowed for D-Mac to round him? I thought it was Francois Louw. All that player needed to do was was contain D-Mac for a second and the defense would have stopped that play.

As the forwards go I have nothing to add. I think that they were all great. Kolisi maybe had a little bit of a quieter game by his recent standards. Is it a trend? And why did Dreyer start over Nyakane? Is he supposed to have chemistry with Marx from the Lions? I don't understand that decision.

I thought that Coetzee played well and I think that he has had a good championship. He played every minute right? Except for being in the sin bin in Salta? Gelant getting some game time up north would be great but I think that Coetzee is probably the man at fullback going forward. Skosan, Leyds, Kriel, DDA...ugh. Not enough in that group for sure. Nkosi needs a start. And is Serfontein a selfish player? His runs and line breaks look great but shouldn't he be getting the other backs involved more?

As far as the All Blacks go they are the best team in the world and that is it. They are lethal. I 100% think that Crotty's try was legit and while I think that it is the correct administerial decision to only warn DDA I had no problem with the call during the game. He was an idiot and gave the ref a decision to make.

SANZAAR have come out and criticised Garces red card at the DDA hearing - apparently saying Garces was wrong to send him off.
I agree it was harsh however it doesn't change the fact that DDA actions were stupid and it could be argued it ultimately cost SA the victory.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/sanzaar-release-statement-de-allende-red-card

No they haven't, they've just released athe normal statement covering the judiciary decision. With the judiciary decision not 100% matching the I fiend decision, that's pretty normal.

That's not 'criticism'. (Although the true meaning of the word criticism is any feedback whether positive or negative, but that's no longer it's every day usage)

Last edited:

Latest posts