• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 6 Nations] Round 4 : Ireland v Scotland (10/03/2018)

Ireland need to keep large amounts of possession like they have all tournament - starve Scotland of the ball.

If we can build a lead, I think Scotland will cave in.

Don't get me wrong, Scotland are a quality side and by far the best equipped team to punish us out wide but they won't find it as easy up front this week.

Have a feeling that Ireland will struggle to have the same free reign at the breakdown that they had vs Wales, due to the difference in reffing styles between Jackson and (every Irishmans favourite) Wayne Barnes. Ireland havent always had the best time adapting to Barnes' style, and he will be a lot hotter on things Jackson let go vs Wales - in particular off feet clearouts and in at the side.

Ireland: R Kearney; K Earls, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong; J Ryan, D Toner; P O'Mahony, D Leavy, CJ Stander. Replacements: S Cronin, J McGrath, A Porter, I Henderson, J Murphy, K Marmion, J Carbery, J Larmour.
Official team.

I much prefer the Irish selection so will plump for them for the victory. I think we'll see around 6 tries in the match, with a chance for an Irish winning BP.

Ireland by 12

Big calls regards Larmour on bench. Not wrong just thought McFadden was the defensive reliable. However the Welsh game hit that.

Yep, well McFadden badly messed up a couple of times there. If the reason for picking him was supposedly defensive solidity and a wise head - he kinda torpedoed that.

Given Kinghorn is making a massive step up, and Hogg has never been great defensively, Larmour in the last 15 minutes could find a dog-leg or two to cause some serious damage.

Yep, well McFadden badly messed up a couple of times there. If the reason for picking him was supposedly defensive solidity and a wise head - he kinda torpedoed that.

Given Kinghorn is making a massive step up, and Hogg has never been great defensively, Larmour in the last 15 minutes could find a dog-leg or two to cause some serious damage.

Or cost Ireland the ***le in the closing minutes :p

To be honest I think it is good of Schmidt to not be overly obsessed by aerial ability, experience and defence. Nothing wrong with picking young players on form. I think Ireland will be the better for it in the years to come.

Don't get me wrong it a progressive move and is right. And at least he is consistent. Conan made 2 defensive errors too and received same faith.
It was effectively a young Larmour vs defensive reliabiity in McFadden. But well McFadden shot the 2nd part down which meant Larmour won out.

Current weather forecast favours the Irish too, can't see Scotland getting much joy here at all.

Current weather forecast favours the Irish too, can't see Scotland getting much joy here at all.

I just had a look. It says showers on saturday so it'll be wet but might not be too wet.

Ha ha Ardal O'Halloran is a legend.
He reckons Finn Russell will get found out Saturday. And he backed it up with a reason too.

Have a feeling that Ireland will struggle to have the same free reign at the breakdown that they had vs Wales, due to the difference in reffing styles between Jackson and (every Irishmans favourite) Wayne Barnes. Ireland havent always had the best time adapting to Barnes' style, and he will be a lot hotter on things Jackson let go vs Wales - in particular off feet clearouts and in at the side.

I suspect Scotland will have a torrid time at the breakdown if they try the same antics they got away with at Murray field, Barnes tends to ref the break down properly unlike his Welsh counter part.

By properly I am referring to the letter of the law ie not coming in at the sides, diving into rucks and clearly having knees on the floor when effecting a turn over, there is certainly an argument to be said that some of this will always have to be allowed to allow a game to flow at all and actually create entertainment but it's certainly an area that seems to be reffed so differently in the pro 14 to the Aviva premiership for example.

I suspect Scotland will have a torrid time at the breakdown if they try the same antics they got away with at Murray field, Barnes tends to ref the break down properly unlike his Welsh counter part.

By properly I am referring to the letter of the law ie not coming in at the sides, diving into rucks and clearly having knees on the floor when effecting a turn over, there is certainly an argument to be said that some of this will always have to be allowed to allow a game to flow at all and actually create entertainment but it's certainly an area that seems to be reffed so differently in the pro 14 to the Aviva premiership for example.

I'm sure an astute coach like Townsend will be well aware that Barnes' officiating differs from Owens and will adjust his tactics accordingly.

I just don't think that Ireland have an obvious weakness to exploit and with home advantage which is becoming increasingly key, I expect them to come through comfortably.

Ha ha Ardal O'Halloran is a legend.
He reckons Finn Russell will get found out Saturday. And he backed it up with a reason too.

What does he mean 'found out'? We all know Russell can blow hot and cold, it only happened a few weeks ago in Cardiff.

What does he mean 'found out'? We all know Russell can blow hot and cold, it only happened a few weeks ago in Cardiff.
Well he is a comic but said he isn't worldclass and even against England he was iffy when any bit of pressure is near him

Keatley out doing a hard warmup and Sexton has been stretching alot. Is there a big doubt.