• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2018 NatWest Six Nations: Round 1 - France v Ireland

As I say Peter O'Mahony is a guy that divides provinces. I do still think he is underrated by some but just an opinion.
Myself I want to see Leavy tested there.

At RWC19 it will be Scannell, who I think is the best hooker we have. His darts and all round game is there and well Cronin is best 16 in the game in my view.
Likewise I'm not fully convinced by Porter just as I haven't seen enough of him at 3.
Stockdale has the talent but defensively is my biggest worry. Lads have been cut for less. Think Conway would've been there next week if fit.
On Rory Scannell I do feel there will be a change in centre possibly and Scannell or Farrell will be in. Think Henshaw has to up it though. Looks a different 13 with Nacewa at 12

I just remember POM having a monster game v England, and find it hard to leave him out.

Maybe he is more a guy you want v a big pack like England, SA etc and for more attacking prone games maybe look at a creator.

I just remember POM having a monster game v England, and find it hard to leave him out.

Maybe he is more a guy you want v a big pack like England, SA etc and for more attacking prone games maybe look at a creator.
It was the lineout he really destroyed that day and turnovers. He did same this year with Cloete against ye in Welford Road this year. But it's more the balance of a backrow than individual.
The equivalent would be in England I think in that if Billy V plays it changes flanker selections I think

Porter has made massive strides this season. Before the November tests, I'd have had him as Leinster's 3rd choice tighthead behind Tadhg Furlong and Michael Bent. Now he's comfortably ahead of Bent due to his workrate around the field and decent scrummaging. He's holding his own in that area rather than dominating but given he only switched to tighthead 12 months ago, it's been a remarkable rise.

O'Mahony was brilliant in that England game. Those performances are few and far between for Ireland in my opinion. Reminds me of Malcolm O'Kelly in many ways. Huge talent and raises his game but needs a kick up the arse every so often.

Porter has made massive strides this season. Before the November tests, I'd have had him as Leinster's 3rd choice tighthead behind Tadhg Furlong and Michael Bent. Now he's comfortably ahead of Bent due to his workrate around the field and decent scrummaging. He's holding his own in that area rather than dominating but given he only switched to tighthead 12 months ago, it's been a remarkable rise.

O'Mahony was brilliant in that England game. Those performances are few and far between for Ireland in my opinion. Reminds me of Malcolm O'Kelly in many ways. Huge talent and raises his game but needs a kick up the arse every so often.
Probably fair on both assessments. I don't rate Porter as highly yet due to not seeing him as much. More not rating due to insufficient viewing but appreciate how hard it is to cross over

Equally rate O'Mahony higher due to seeing him day in day out. Also would agree on kick up arse comment but there few like that.

I'll be bored and less pumped tomorrow to write something well thought out but I'll leave you this.

I've seen Ireland teams play badly like that and/or look to have thrown away matches before plenty of times, Wales and Scotland last year are examples. I've never seen them do it and win, I hope that says something big about this group.

I'll be bored and less pumped tomorrow to write something well thought out but I'll leave you this.

I've seen Ireland teams play badly like that and/or look to have thrown away matches before plenty of times, Wales and Scotland last year are examples. I've never seen them do it and win, I hope that says something big about this group.
TBH thats the difference between England now and England 3 years ago in clutch situation like that we'd **** the bed and lose now we go into that position and you believe England will manage the win.

Hope Ireland doesn't learn from this because I dread to think to think what happens on St. Paddy's Day at Twickenham....probably a draw.

My roommate who knows nothing about rugby was blown away by the ending.

He also thought Sexton should have been more aggressive with Owens over the HIA/ fight someone from France.

Jesus wept Ireland scabbed that. Winning in Paris without even attempting to score a try.

Expected better from the favourites IMO.

We desperately need a second player who can create something in the backline. Except for Sexton and Earls all of our backs were beyond mediocre in attack. Until Ringrose is back we need to get Carbery or Larmour in at 15, or try Scannell at 12. Henshaw and Aki are going to need to offer an awful lot more in attack to be a viable centre partnership going forward. I'd like to see Conway, Stockdale and Larmour in the back three next week unless Conway doesn't make it back in which case go for Carbery at 15 and move Larmour to the wing. I'd have no objections against either or both of the Scannel brothers playing if Niall Scannell was fit. Jack Conan is another player who deserves a shot on form.

In the back row Stander and Leavy were great but I wasn't massively impressed by POM. When he played well he's nearly unstoppable but he spends too many games not offering enough to deserve a starting place in an area as competitive as the back row. When SOB gets back I'd rather have him and Leavy as the flankers and Stander at 8.
On the bright side, James Ryan was immense and completely justified his selection.
I'd have Porter over Ryan on the bench next week. We need a second option badly in case Furlong gets injured or whatever. Ryan has done nothing wrong but he's never going to be an international class player and so long that Porter doesn't have a complete meltdown at the scrum (bound to happen every so often, completely understandable) he's a better player.

While I was watching the last few minutes this morning, I kept thinking of that famous Quins v SF match in the Heineken Cup about 10 years ago..... 30 odd phases, 1 point behind and a dropped goal in stoppage time by Nick Evans to win it for Quins..... Nige was the ref then too IIRC

It feels very good knowing that this Ireland squad can come back from the depths of defeat and stick it out with composure and accuracy to seal a win. It was times like that we really see the positive side to Schmidt's drilling and discipline, "Roman Legion Rugby" as the 1014 calls it. Good mental resolve and steadiness under pressure.

On the other side though it was absolutely depressing seeing us offer literally nothing in attack, though credit to the French defense too. The team looks too afraid to take any risks whatsoever. I don't think Wales are gonna be bothered about the fact they're playing away to us. Wales have an excellent record against us recently, home and away, and the Scarlets as we all know have no problem playing in the Aviva. Tbh they'll probably love it. Gatland is a 6N veteran and yesterday proved Wales are never to be underestimated, not that I ever have.

Going to seriously need to spice things up though. I'm going to enjoy the win for what it was, and acknowledge the fact that playing away to a nothing to lose young French team who actually put in a really good defensive effort, backed by a massive cheering home crowd is very difficult. I think England will struggle there too, but I can picture England scoring tries unfortunately.

As always it's impossible to predict what's best for Ireland to do in developing our attacking game. A lot depends on Townsend, if he's found out by the time we play them we could put in a seriously good shift and get a lot of momentum going. A whole other week awaits!

The saying "forwards win the games, backs decide by how much" was so true of this match.

Last edited:
It feels very good knowing that this Ireland squad can come back from the depths of defeat and stick it out with composure and accuracy to seal a win. It was times like that we really see the positive side to Schmidt's drilling and discipline, "Roman Legion Rugby" as the 1014 calls it. Good mental resolve and steadiness under pressure.

On the other side though it was absolutely depressing seeing us offer literally nothing in attack, though credit to the French defense too. The team looks too afraid to take any risks whatsoever. I don't think Wales are gonna be bothered about the fact they're playing away to us. Wales have an excellent record against us recently, home and away, and the Scarlets as we all know have no problem playing in the Aviva. Tbh they'll probably love it. Gatland is a 6N veteran and yesterday proved Wales are never to be underestimated, not that I ever have.

Going to seriously need to spice things up though. I'm going to enjoy the win for what it was, and acknowledge the fact that playing away to a nothing to lose young French team who actually put in a really good defensive effort, backed by a massive cheering home crowd is very difficult. I think England will struggle there too, but I can picture England scoring tries unfortunately.

As always it's impossible to predict what's best for Ireland to do in developing our attacking game. A lot depends on Townsend, if he's found out by the time we play them we could put in a seriously good shift and get a lot of momentum going. A whole other week awaits!

Go away muffin with that terrible video. :D

As the end of the game was approaching, I said to the missus this has the feel of a long range drop goal attempt, ala ROG v Saints.

The last 10 mins of yesterday's game was brilliant. 2 superb bits of skill.

Always a tough game in France, even more so opening game of six nations when might be a tad rusty early on so Ireland be delighted to get the win at the death with a quality drop goal by Sexton and the discipline showed getting them extra few metres to get into drop goal range was quality.

That's bizzare. Was going to question if it was the Altrad influence but I think I got pretty smashed at the Altrad last year! Anti-terror or a new policy for the capital maybe? You wouldn't want to wander too far from the stadium drunk anyway, seriously rough area as far as I know.

Latest posts