• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs Australia (24/11/18)

I like Hartley coming of the bench. I'd rather him finishing the game with 30mins to go making big decisions over Farrell.

Best team with whats available, big joe needs to step up an prove he has what it takes.

Hartley was brought in by EJ early on when eddie became coach for his leadership. Farrell is stepping up allowing us to play george and have leadership on the bench as well as a solid player, maybe not impact but all round good player. God i hope faz doesnt get injured!

Wallabies:

1. Scott Sio (54 Tests)

2. Tolu Latu (11 Tests)

3. Sekope Kepu (102 Tests)

4. Izack Rodda (16 Tests)

5. Adam Coleman (30 Tests)

6. Jack Dempsey (9 Tests)

7. Michael Hooper (c) (90 Tests)

8. David Pocock (77 Tests)

9. Will Genia (99 Tests)

10. Matt To'omua (41 Tests)

11. Jack Maddocks (6 Tests)

12. Bernard Foley (67 Tests)

13. Samu Kerevi (24 Tests)

14. Dane Haylett-Petty (30 Tests)

15. Israel Folau (72 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (88 Tests)
17. Jermaine Ainsley (2 Tests)
18. Allan Alaalatoa (30 Tests)
19. Rob Simmons (93 Tests)
20. Ned Hanigan (19 Tests)
21. Pete Samu (8 Tests)
22. Nick Phipps (70 Tests)
23. Sefa Naivalu (9 Tests)

Any team with Pooper and a Toomua-Foley axis has the potential to cause havoc.

TPN vs Hartley second half is a mis-match so hopefully timing of Harry Williams coming on can sure the scrum up.

Last edited:
Not a fan of our 10/12/13, and Hartley should 100% be starting

It's not terrible though, and all to be expected from EJ

Must be the least experienced pack we've fielded in a long time.

Lawes out on his own, then Itoje on 25. I'm ignoring George's 31 as most of those are 30 minute bench cameos. Logical selection to start though, not on merit but as a test. If he goes well the ABs can be counted as an aberration, but if it's the same again Jones may well look at someone else for the 6N.

Contrast that experience with the Aussies. That diffential could be important. Beginning to think this might be tighter than many assume and possibly a bounce of the ball job.

But 'Ford cant tackle'? 'Farrell flies out' and Tuilagi is 'erratic' defensively? 'Dog Leg central'.

(For info, I want this 10-13 too)
1. Yes he can
2. He does, but he's still our best option there (including Te'o)
3. Yup, and his positives (far) outweigh his negatives.

It's what I've been wanting for the last month as well.

If I was to offer you Ford, Farrell, Tuilagi..would you take it?

Though a fresh Ford and Tuilagi off the bench could do some damage at 60 minutes or 50 min depending on how the games going.

So Manu makes the bench. Will he see any real pitch time or is he just there to psych out the Aussies and make them worry I wonder?

Good to see big Joe get a run. Hope he can live up to hype. We really could do with some heavy distructive running threats. If he can be taught to come inside on Ashton style lines he could be a real asset.

Interesting he hasn't started Hartley. One assumes a test of Farrells leadership from the off. Not sure Hartley brings much as a finisher though.

I know the Aussies have been having a hard time of late but they still have some decent lads on the field. Folou, Genia, Kerevie, all good runners and potential threats. And let's not forget Pocock, who can be a real pain at the breakdown.

I think this game is going to depend on what versions of the two team turn up. The Aussies are usually well up for a scrap with us so I'm going to expect them to come out really wanting it, and to end their season on a high. If England can find that intensity they had against the ABs they should be able to overwhelm and win, but if they don't we could potentially be in trouble.

I would just like to see some consistency from England. We need to start settling the hell down. 12 months out from a World Cup and at times it's like we are rebuilding from scratch.

Im hoping slade has a good game ball in hand, if he can put Big Joe into space or running at gaps he could be devastating and then manu to come on with 2 playmakers inside him, use manu as a dummy and still have a powerful runner coming down on them.

Im excited for this one as england will be up for it and out to prove a point after last weekend.

Some arnt but im happy with the team bit i am and i cant wait to see it with some injured players coming back for the 6N.

England by 10

I am liking seeing Latu starting. Hopefully, target Wallabies on their own throw and Latu 's throwing is erratic at best.

Some arnt but im happy with the team bit i am and i cant wait to see it with some injured players coming back for the 6N.
TBH - I do'nt see anything beyond nit-picks to be unhappy about.
I don't see the need for Shields; and would rather have given Mercer another shot (with Wilson at 6); especially given how mobile that Aussie backrow is; but.... that's about it really.
I'd rather Ford were given a chance with 2 real centres; but that looks destined to never happen - beyond that, and give the FH his club-mate SH. With the players we've got available right now; this team is as good as we could put out. 3 things I would have done differently to Eddie - but all of them pretty close calls.

Wallabies:

1. Scott Sio (54 Tests)

2. Tolu Latu (11 Tests)

3. Sekope Kepu (102 Tests)

4. Izack Rodda (16 Tests)

5. Adam Coleman (30 Tests)

6. Jack Dempsey (9 Tests)

7. Michael Hooper (c) (90 Tests)

8. David Pocock (77 Tests)

9. Will Genia (99 Tests)

10. Matt To'omua (41 Tests)

11. Jack Maddocks (6 Tests)

12. Bernard Foley (67 Tests)

13. Samu Kerevi (24 Tests)

14. Dane Haylett-Petty (30 Tests)

15. Israel Folau (72 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (88 Tests)
17. Jermaine Ainsley (2 Tests)
18. Allan Alaalatoa (30 Tests)
19. Rob Simmons (93 Tests)
20. Ned Hanigan (19 Tests)
21. Pete Samu (8 Tests)
22. Nick Phipps (70 Tests)
23. Sefa Naivalu (9 Tests)

Any team with Pooper and a Toomua-Foley axis has the potential to cause havoc.

TPN vs Hartley second half is a mis-match so hopefully timing of Harry Williams coming on can sure the scrum up.
It's funny because if you were to ask just about any Aussie rugby fan they would say the exact opposite of all that. ;)

From those available you can't moan too much at that selection.

Pack may look a bit different come 6N, but could see most of that backline being first choice bar Slade and perhaps Joe, although he's got a great chance to show that he really can bring something different.

Not sure if being overly harsh but has Slade had more good moments that stood out in any decent game yet than bad moments? It seems to me he makes a fair few mistakes but doesn't balance that out with moments of brilliance and doesn't even appear to do the basics to a very high level consistently. It's a real shame because I want him to be good but he keeps coming across as just a place holder for someone better and not someone who is really in the 13 shirt because they are better.

Latest posts