• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Rugby Championship] Round 3: Australia vs. New Zealand (10/08/2019)

The second I saw Barrett not wrap his arms or attempt to and lead with his shoulder and contact Hooper's head and I saw it was Garces reffing then I thought Red.

Is Intent and Force in the directive handed down by WR?

Last edited:
The second I saw Barrett not wrap his arms or attempt to and lead with his shoulder and contact Hooper's head and I saw it was Garces reffing then I though Red.

Is Intent and Force in the directive handed down by WR?
Part of the contributing factors that can lead to if being a yellow rather than red.

Greenwood is right, if that is a red card, then we should be seeing every single forward carded in the second half.

I think the mistake is that he's called the force and intent wrong.
How, exactly, did he get the intent wrong? His arm was right next to his own body and his shoulder hit coopers head.

Once you go in like that you are venturing into 50/50 (YC/RC) territory.

Right call for me.

So........ Just had to log in for this. Hooper falling over, how do you get an arm wrapped under that? It's like Garces or the TMO, or World Rugby Board have never played rugby.

These Aussie commentators are absolute morons. Reckoning Scott Barrett intended that. Lmao, whatever helps you guys sleep at night, chumps.

Very different imo, that was open field.

The height and congestion of tight carries around the ruck significantly reduces the options you have when tackling.

Garces said fell under Dangerous play. Tight play/open play can it really be differentiated? It may be harsh but when it's a shoulder to the head then any phase of play then it's red card territory.

We will see if WR sanction Garces for making such a decision. Doubt it, but it's set the tone for the RWC. Lots of reds unless players get their tackle right and avoid contacting the head /neck without wrapping their arms.

To be fair he didn't even try to wrap, his arm was tucked in and he lead with the shoulder, if you use that technique you are asking for trouble. He probably didn't deserve a red but by the letter of the law it's a fair call.

By the book, it may well be a red but in the overall understanding of collisions within the game 'should' it be one?

The fact that Hooper screamed like a girl made it worse than what it was.
Got to his feet pretty quick once he knew Garces was looking at it, lol. Knew he had his man

If it wasn't his head he was trying to hit what part of hooper was he aiming at???

Have you legit ever played rugby? Do you think Barrett is psychic? Do you think he can adjust his arms in milliseconds based on what happens infront of him? If Hooper stays on his feet the arm hits his midriff where the ball would be.

How, exactly, did he get the intent wrong? His arm was right next to his own body and his shoulder hit coopers head.

Once you go in like that you are venturing into 50/50 (YC/RC) territory.

Right call for me.
So please go and watch it at full speed and let me know positively why you think it is intent. And you didn't acknowledge the force element which is another contributing factor. Do you interpret it as one with force?

Might not be a try but that's a great opening salvo from the Ozzie's.

Latest posts