• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England Squad

Personally (and all of these get caled "World Class" by some people:
GOAT class = Would be comfortable representing the history of the sport (one of the top 2-3 in their position in history).
World Class - Would be comfortable representing the word on the Galactic stage (one of the top 2-3 in their position at some point).
International Class = Would be comfortable representing their nation on the world stage (one of the top 2-3 in their position in their country).
Club Class = Would be comfortable representing their club on the national stage (one of the top 2-3 in their position in their club).

For me, on their day, Carling, Guscott, Catt, Greenwood, Tuilagi and Joseph have all been in the frame for being one of the best 2-3 players in the world in their position; and therefore World Class.
Going by that definition (which is the definition I'd use) then Farrell's also in there.

GOAT class = Would be comfortable representing the history of the sport (one of the top 2-3 in their position in history).
World Class - Would be comfortable representing the word on the Galactic stage (one of the top 2-3 in their position at some point).
International Class = Would be comfortable representing their nation on the world stage (one of the top 2-3 in their position in their country).
Club Class = Would be comfortable representing their club on the national stage (one of the top 2-3 in their position in their club).

I think those are fairly objectively correct.

World class for ne is someone that would make 2 squads from round the world to play each other therefore the best 46 players in their position in the world

"World Class " is one of those terms that comes up for debate again most years (though it's been a while since I've noticed one on here).
For some people "World Class" means a truly special player who will go down in the history books, and a contender for GOAT in their sport.
For others it would mean a player who'd be in the conversation / wider squad for an Earth team to play in the Rugby Galactic Cup.
For others it means someone who's comfortable at international level
And for others (mostly pundits and coaches) it means someone who might deserve to be capped at some point; given a run of form and a minor injury crisis.

For me, on their day, Carling, Guscott, Catt, Greenwood, Tuilagi and Joseph have all been in the frame for being one of the best 2-3 players in the world in their position; and therefore World Class.

For me I would edit World Class slightly to say that it needs so kind of consistency. Yes you can argue that players have to be consistent to be in the top 2-3 in the world, but there have been many players who have had one great season and never replicated. They might have been in the running that year, but for me that would not be enough. For example when Te'o played fantastically for the lions, some people might have argued that case, but based on form before and subsequently you would say definitely not. I know it's still subjective, but I feel world class players would regularly be mentioned in the top 2-3 of their position, not just once. Some players might also have the potential and ability to be world class, but injuries, form etc...stops them and so you could never call them world class.

For me I would edit World Class slightly to say that it needs so kind of consistency. Yes you can argue that players have to be consistent to be in the top 2-3 in the world, but there have been many players who have had one great season and never replicated. They might have been in the running that year, but for me that would not be enough. For example when Te'o played fantastically for the lions, some people might have argued that case, but based on form before and subsequently you would say definitely not. I know it's still subjective, but I feel world class players would regularly be mentioned in the top 2-3 of their position, not just once. Some players might also have the potential and ability to be world class, but injuries, form etc...stops them and so you could never call them world class.

This. Many world class players remain that way, maybe dipping a bit by the end of their career but they would never go through a period where someone would consider dropping them due to poor form. If I look at the England team and think whose form since Jones has taken over has been consistent or improving and don't merit being swapped out, for me only May, Launchbury and B Vunipola have had consistently high standards when playing. Vunipola's recent injuries count against him but both before and after injury, he has played well. Everyone else in the team has gone off the boil quite drastically at some point in the last few years.

Farrell's kicking accuracy has dropped to below international standard for a 10, his tackle technique leaves much to be desired and his attitude with refs is poor
Itoje has become a penalty machine

I think Underhill has the potential to be future WC if he can stop getting injured.

This. Many world class players remain that way, maybe dipping a bit by the end of their career but they would never go through a period where someone would consider dropping them due to poor form. If I look at the England team and think whose form since Jones has taken over has been consistent or improving and don't merit being swapped out, for me only May, Launchbury and B Vunipola have had consistently high standards when playing. Vunipola's recent injuries count against him but both before and after injury, he has played well. Everyone else in the team has gone off the boil quite drastically at some point in the last few years.

Farrell's kicking accuracy has dropped to below international standard for a 10, his tackle technique leaves much to be desired and his attitude with refs is poor
Itoje has become a penalty machine

I think Underhill has the potential to be future WC if he can stop getting injured.
When does eddy cut the squad?

I thought shields would be on the bench to cover 678 with wilson on the pitch to cover 678 and lawes as emergency 6 or move maro??no hughs for

Shields would 100% start, i think

EJ would go with shields, curry, binny with Hughes on the bench (he's always liked two 8s in the 23 when possible)

Daily Mail reporter saying Shields isn't training again today, probably won't be fit for the weekend and Wilson likely to start

Also said (and hold onto your hats here, it's a shocker) Ben Teo didn't train either

Shields out means hughes in on the bench simple enough.

But teo is our only other experienced 12.

So
10. Ford
12. Faz
13. Manu

22. Devoto / Slade
23. Daly / Nowell or Joe

Also said (and hold onto your hats here, it's a shocker) Ben Teo didn't train either
I've been here before I know I'm not getting Ford, Farrell, Manu

How will we screw this up Farrell, Manu, Slade?

Latest posts