• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England Squad

Well after that I can't see any major changes o the squad. My only hope is somehow getting rid of Hughes as I still think he offers very little and a more versatile back row would be more effective. Penalty count still a bit high, but if that is the trade for incredible line speed and defence I'll take it. However if it got any higher then it might undo the effectiveness of the defence.

Presumably Launch in for Itoje?
I'd put him straight in starting - I like Lawes a lot but I think Launchbury is better and Lawes offers more impact.

Really hope that Teo doesn't come straight back in - they did mention he was in line to start today until he got a side strain.

Best thing about that from my perspective: it wasn't simply based on a big emotional effort.

That was people doing exactly what they were supposed to, consistently and intensely.

You need to be able to hype yourself up for big games, but you can't win consistently doing so.

I'd put him straight in starting - I like Lawes a lot but I think Launchbury is better and Lawes offers more impact.

Really hope that Teo doesn't come straight back in - they did mention he was in line to start today until he got a side strain.

Yeah forgot about Itoje. Need to wait and see how long he's off for. I'd agree with Launch swap. If Jones brings back Te'o after that game then I will question his sanity. Manu showed exactly how poor Te'o has been and Manu didn't even play his best.

Eddie won't drop anyone in the backs after today.

Would have Kruis + Lawes starting, the physicality will be needed v France.

According to 5live Itoje has injured medial ligament in his knee.

Teo can't come in after that can he? Can't recall Teo having as good as a game Manu had at 12 and he isn't even a natural 12.

Well after that I can't see any major changes o the squad. My only hope is somehow getting rid of Hughes as I still think he offers very little and a more versatile back row would be more effective. Penalty count still a bit high, but if that is the trade for incredible line speed and defence I'll take it. However if it got any higher then it might undo the effectiveness of the defence.

Did you see how upright Hughes was when he attempted his first carry? It doesn't work. Need Mercer in, we now have other carrying options so it would be nice to see and 8 who has something different.

If Itoje is out i'd just swap for Launchbury. Lawes fantastic off the bench. Massive same for Maro tho :(

Lawes too light to start for me. Launchbury in if Itoje is injured and T'eo can just leave England please.

Gotta say, big up John Mitchell - our defence/physicality has noticeably improved since he joined.

Dominant tackles today (from Nick Mullins' photo on twitter of the official tally screen thing he has in commentary):
Ireland 4
England 48

But then of course he was going to be good, he's been a Sale legend for over twenty years
3611q1B.jpg

Isn't Lawes 18 st plus
A stone of muscle since the autumn, all natty.

Last edited:
A stone of muscle since the autumn, all natty.

A stone.

A stone of "muscle", to someone who thinks 50's leading men were in shape.

We hear this practically every year "Courtney's gained loads of weight this season".

Lawes is too light to lock out at the saints lost weeks so way too light to start for England. Brilliant player but needs a beefy partner or to be an impact player internationally.

Fairly relaxed over whether Lawes or Launch starts against France.

What's Isiekwe's form been like? Seems to have fallen right off the radar.

About to rewatch the match but before I do, here are some of my thoughts:

I thought that the balance of the pack was really good and that going forward that should remain as our starting pack; possibly with changes in the 2nd row depending on the opposition. If Vunipola and Sinckler can front up in the scrum against Healy and Furlong then they shouldn't be bullied by anyone. I also thought Mark Wilson was outstanding and isn't getting some of the praise he deserves; both him and Mako made 27 tackles (and apparently Mako missed none!).

As I said pre-game, I was cautiously hopeful about the Tuilagi-Slade pairing and it really seems to have paid off. Manu was dominant all evening, both in attack and defence and other than Slade's f*** up when he was running back to cover that kick, I thought he was excellent. His pass to May for the try he scored was sublime. Seems to have finally come of age on the international stage. We should persist with that pairing.

That was maybe the best game Farrell's had in an England shirt. Other than one stinker of a kick he was flawless, his handling was sublime. He also missed no tackles all game. There's a video floating around of his pass to Daly for May's try in slow motion; I'd seriously recommend watching it.

Now, on a negative note, I'm still not convinced by Daly at fullback. It's getting glossed over because we won but he was out of position so often when receiving kicks and Ireland were able to win back more of their kicks than they should've been able to.

May is the best winger on the planet ATM.

Now, on a negative note, I'm still not convinced by Daly at fullback. It's getting glossed over because we won but he was out of position so often when receiving kicks and Ireland were able to win back more of their kicks than they should've been able to.

Who else is there?

If Brown was playing we wouldn't have scored that first try.

About to rewatch the match but before I do, here are some of my thoughts:

I thought that the balance of the pack was really good and that going forward that should remain as our starting pack; possibly with changes in the 2nd row depending on the opposition. If Vunipola and Sinckler can front up in the scrum against Healy and Furlong then they shouldn't be bullied by anyone. I also thought Mark Wilson was outstanding and isn't getting some of the praise he deserves; both him and Mako made 27 tackles (and apparently Mako missed none!).

As I said pre-game, I was cautiously hopeful about the Tuilagi-Slade pairing and it really seems to have paid off. Manu was dominant all evening, both in attack and defence and other than Slade's f*** up when he was running back to cover that kick, I thought he was excellent. His pass to May for the try he scored was sublime. Seems to have finally come of age on the international stage. We should persist with that pairing.

That was maybe the best game Farrell's had in an England shirt. Other than one stinker of a kick he was flawless, his handling was sublime. He also missed no tackles all game. There's a video floating around of his pass to Daly for May's try in slow motion; I'd seriously recommend watching it.

May is the best winger on the planet ATM.

I agree that Wilson should be getting more praise. If EJ is only interested in Underhill at 7 then Wilson should stay at 6. However if there is the option for Underhill at 6 then I'd take him. However it would be very harsh on Wilson. I also want Wilson to at least be in the 23 from now on.

As for the midfield, tbh when Te'o was in a bit of form it did kinda work with him, he's just not been in any form and isn't as good as Manu at his best. I think we have some other players in the premiership who could perform a similar role to Manu, but none have been test or given a chance so we don't know if they can cope at international level. Manu is our best at crashing and making gaps, but we do need another option if he gets injured again. As for Slade, maybe it was just having a dominant pack winning collisions gave him that bit of extra time. Still not 100% on him, but definite improvement.

I agree about Daly, it was May who made us dominant in the air. Daly still has a lot of work to do. However kudos to EJ as he swapped Nowell and May, probably because of Murray's kicking and which wing would be targetted.

May is just class.

Who else is there?

If Brown was playing we wouldn't have scored that first try.
We might've still scored it. I'm not saying we should drop Daly, after yesterday he is worth persisting with, I'm just not wholly convinced by him and think him being at the back is a definite chink in our armour. It's just a case of balancing whether the risk is worth the reward (that being his attacking ability).

Latest posts